"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...
Old 01-04-2009, 06:52 AM   #11
Senior Cook
I just wanted to add...Use a circular or oval dish to eliminate DRY corners... :)

Bacardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 07:38 AM   #12
Senior Cook
I love macaroni and cheese and have probably made it 500 times or more (once or twice a month for 40 years). I've tried dozens of techniques, variations and added ingredients.

To me the best basic recipe is still Betty Crocker's: Family-Favorite Macaroni and Cheese from Betty Crocker. Worchester sauce a fairly recent addition to the Betty Crocker recipe and I've never tried it, but next time I make it I'll add it and see if I like it.

FincaPerlitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:41 PM   #13
Sous Chef
I made mac n cheese tonight... not a usual for me but I have a cheese surplus right now(I know its a tragedy...) after compiling some ideas from this thread and adding some of my own here is what I did.

I started with a fairly thin bechamel... keeping over low heat slowly stirred in finely grated cheese (in this case Swiss and Sharp Provelone) until integrated reserving about 1 cup . Combined cheese sauce and pasta (in this case rotini) in a large baking dish (I used a shallow round enameled CI pan for the whole thing) once pasta and sauce were well mixed I removed from heat, topped the pasta/sauce mixture with chopped bacon, the reserved shredded chese, bread crumbs, and a sprinke of grated reggiano and Romano s&p to taste.

The nice thing about this was the two cheese applications. The bechamel remained creamy while the shredded cheese and bacon topping gave a great flavorful crust.

Ok but I feel like I am about to have a coronary now.
PanchoHambre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:29 PM   #14
Assistant Cook
Originally Posted by PanchoHambre View Post
I made mac n cheese tonight...
Ok but I feel like I am about to have a coronary now.
But what a way to go!!!

and sometimes they call me...
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote