"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 07-01-2013, 11:56 AM   #11
Senior Cook

Hi kadesma, what is your pink sauce please? Sounds intriguing

Hi Luca, tomato, basil and chilli, some of my favourite flavours there. Where can wine be discussed please (and Kent)?

Old 07-02-2013, 12:36 PM   #12
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerbicacid View Post
Where can wine be discussed please (and Kent)?
Hi acerbicacid,

The Wine Cellar for the wine and Off Topic Discussions for Kent, I suppose

Old 07-02-2013, 02:26 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerbicacid View Post
Hi kadesma, what is your pink sauce please? Sounds intriguing

Hi Luca, tomato, basil and chilli, some of my favourite flavours there. Where can wine be discussed please (and Kent)?
You can find my recipe for the pink sauce on here in the sauces .
I put it up in June .
kades
Old 07-02-2013, 09:26 PM   #14
Master Chef

The best ravioli I've ever eaten was made by a grouchy old lady named Mary. She cooked it in chicken broth, then ladled a small amount of marinara sauce over it after it was in the bowl. It was NOT swimming in sauce. The ravioli was so lite and tender it practically floated to my mouth, dripping broth and red sauce down my shirt.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:35 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance View Post
The best ravioli I've ever eaten was made by a grouchy old lady named Mary. She cooked it in chicken broth, then ladled a small amount of marinara sauce over it after it was in the bowl. It was NOT swimming in sauce. The ravioli was so lite and tender it practically floated to my mouth, dripping broth and red sauce down my shirt.
Any Italian I have ever know puts very little sauce on their pasta.
Old 07-04-2013, 01:29 AM   #16
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Any Italian I have ever know puts very little sauce on their pasta.
There may be exceptions...
Old 07-04-2013, 02:30 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca Lazzari View Post
There may be exceptions...
This is true. I grew up in an Italian neighborhood. Every time I had supper at one of my girlfriend's house, the grandmother would put just a little sauce on the pasta, and the rest went into a big bowl with the meats in the middle of the table. But then there are the ones who grab that big bowl first and load up with the sauce and a little more than their share of the meats. Usually, meatballs, sausages, a piece of pork, a piece of rolled and tied beef, etc. Mostly it was always the nonno that was fed first. And you can't forget the wine that was made down in the cellar last year. None for the kids. Milk for them.
Old 07-04-2013, 03:10 AM   #18
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
This is true. I grew up in an Italian neighborhood. Every time I had supper at one of my girlfriend's house, the grandmother would put just a little sauce on the pasta, and the rest went into a big bowl with the meats in the middle of the table. But then there are the ones who grab that big bowl first and load up with the sauce and a little more than their share of the meats. Usually, meatballs, sausages, a piece of pork, a piece of rolled and tied beef, etc. Mostly it was always the nonno that was fed first. And you can't forget the wine that was made down in the cellar last year. None for the kids. Milk for them.
Beautiful.

Except for milk, in Italy we little ones just got water until we came of age for the wine. Which in my times could be anywhere between 6 years and 13 years old...

Now I'm afraid they are all on artificial sodas, their little bodies and minds getting full of that schifezza.

Tags
recipe

Naked Ravioli Hi, has anyone any suggestion for good sauces for this please. I was looking for something quick and easy for a starter and found this. [url=http://www.artofcookery.com/nakedravioli.htm]Naked Ravioli Recipe - Italian First Course from Tuscan Cooking[/url]. It was gorgeous, how had I not known about it for so long. I did it with sage butter as my sage is growing like mad and then finished it with some crisp sage leaves. For these I fried the leaves in oil for a couple of seconds until they were crisp but still retained the colour. For the sage butter I melted some butter and waited until it was pale gold (beurre noisette) took off the heat then added chopped sage leaves, stirred so the sage wilted and then added some lemon juice. If anyone tries it (although I expect it is not as new to you as it was to me and you already cook it) hope you enjoy it as much as I did. 3 stars 1 reviews