"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 04-05-2006, 09:55 PM   #1
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
Need Advice for Pasta Dish

I bought smoked oysters in a tin. I would like to make it a pasta dish but Im not sure how to go about it. Any ideas?

Old 04-05-2006, 10:28 PM   #2
Master Chef

I am thinking lingiuini with a light alfredo type sauce with just a hint of jalapeno, or maybe one diced jalapeno and the the oysters. Come to think of it, I never had oysters out of a tin, are they salty??? If so, that may change my idea above. Interesting ingredient... curious as to other ideas as well.

Old 04-05-2006, 10:33 PM   #3
Master Chef

Nope not salty. They are in cottonseed oil. They have a GREAT smoky flavor!
I know a cream sauce would probably be best, but Im lactose intolerant. My tummy cant take much milk product.
LOVE the idea of jalapeno! I like spicyness!
Old 04-05-2006, 10:37 PM   #4
Sous Chef

I would use them simple sauce of lemon juice, ev-oo, garlic, dried/fresh red chilli and some parsley.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:39 PM   #5
Master Chef

LI,,,, eh? hmmmm, so is there something to use in cream sauces that would make them lactose free? When I think of that in my head (oysters), my instincts immediately say no to a tomato based sauce.... if not a cream based, perhaps an oil based sauce with pasta? Got the ol' wheels turning, may come back with some other thoughts.... stand by.......
Old 04-05-2006, 10:52 PM   #6
Master Chef

Thanks Haggis and sattie! I got my red peppers out. Maybe I should put a little rice vinager in there while sauteing?
Old 04-06-2006, 12:18 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Too late for this but I would've gone with a light tomato and olive oil sauce. The oysters are already rich plus you would most likely kill the flavor with a heavy cream sauce. For the tomato sauce that I mentioned (pomodoro al olio), it would be mostly olive oil similar to a regular al olio sauce with the garlic, lemon, chili flakes, and parsley. The tomatoes (I prefer canned San Marzanos) would just be to add color and a hint of flavor, but it should complement the other flavors and not be the prime focus of the sauce. If you're using say, 4-5 Tbsp. of olive oil, I would only add at the most a half cup of tomatoes. Fresh halved or quartered cherry tomatoes would also work.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:26 AM   #8
Master Chef

What Did You Do

So Deadly Sushi... what did you end up doing and how did it turn out???
Old 04-06-2006, 12:09 PM   #9
Master Chef

I would have gone with a cream sauce myself as well. With a tomato sauce the smokiness would have been completely lost. Why bother?

But do tell what you did & how it turned out?
Old 04-06-2006, 01:02 PM   #10
Master Chef

I've eaten a LOT of canned smoked oysters in my life - so I know the flavor and texture.

I would have gone more along the lines of a traditional clam sauce (white or red - depending on if you want a Little tomato or not) and made up the difference in liquid with chicken stock/canned broth. I would have definitely used the oil from the can (plus additional olive oil as needed) to sauté the onions and garlic to really intensify the smokey oyster flavor. I would have coarse chopped the oysters and added them to the "sauce" at the end just long enough to heat through so they didn't break down any more since they are already fully cooked and rather fragile (the flavor would already be in the sauce from the oil).

I would serve this with linguine or fettuccine - but my son would use angel hair pasta. For cheese - I would go with Romano.

Tags
None