"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 08-13-2015, 08:41 AM   #11
Sous Chef

I gave this another try last night. The posted recipe was a little ambiguous, but the cookbook contained a chart that clearly states “porridge – full cycle”, so I didn’t misinterpret the instructions. In order to control the cooking this time, I used the quick cycle, which is just heating without any soaking time.

I kept an eye on it, and when there was a little liquid left, I turned off the cooker. Rice was done. A few minutes later, pretty much all of the liquid disappeared, so I was back to the same results as I got the first time.

I’m giving up trying to make a creamy risotto in the rice cooker. Although not the texture I was shooting for, it’s still very tasty. This is another one of those “not worth the effort” attempts. In the future I’ll just let the rice cooker do its thing and just enjoy the finished product without the extra work.

Old 08-13-2015, 03:36 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenspeed View Post
I gave this another try last night. The posted recipe was a little ambiguous, but the cookbook contained a chart that clearly states “porridge – full cycle”, so I didn’t misinterpret the instructions. In order to control the cooking this time, I used the quick cycle, which is just heating without any soaking time.

I kept an eye on it, and when there was a little liquid left, I turned off the cooker. Rice was done. A few minutes later, pretty much all of the liquid disappeared, so I was back to the same results as I got the first time.

I’m giving up trying to make a creamy risotto in the rice cooker. Although not the texture I was shooting for, it’s still very tasty. This is another one of those “not worth the effort” attempts. In the future I’ll just let the rice cooker do its thing and just enjoy the finished product without the extra work.
Wise decision. We buy appliances to make our work easier.

Old 08-19-2015, 01:14 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Ina, Barefoot Contessa, has a recipe for risotto made in the oven. I've tried it and it's not only simple but delicious. I use to make it on the stove, adding liquid, stirring, adding liquid, stirring...took forever, but it was delicious. Ina's method comes out the same and less effort, the oven does it all. You can find the recipe online.

Tags
cook, other, rice, risotto