Need brown rice recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fatima

Assistant Cook
Trying to improve my family's diet so I went out and bought some brown rice. Now I just need some good recipes, any ideas?

Trying to improve my family's diet so I went out and bought some brown rice. Now I just need some good recipes, any ideas?

Any recipe that calls for white rice can use brown rice, just add half again as much water, i.e. 1 cup white rice + 2 cups water becomes 1 cup brown rice + 3 cups water.

Just use it in place of white rice. Keep in mind brown rice takes about 45 minutes to cook, so factor that into your meal planning. I usually cook up two or three day's worth ahead of time and reheat it as needed.

I make a salad with brown rice, apples, green onions, dried cranberries and a vinegar/oil dressing. It's filling and perfect for lunches. Like the others, I just sub it for white rice for a dinner side.

Any recipe that calls for white rice can use brown rice, just add half again as much water, i.e. 1 cup white rice + 2 cups water becomes 1 cup brown rice + 3 cups water.
I have no idea how one cooks white rice, but when I cook brown rice I use twice as much water as rice. That's how I have been doing it for over 40 years and it works well.

BTW, brown basmati cooks a bit quicker than other brown rice. Once it is boiling, I let it boil for 7 minutes on the stove I have now (5-10 minutes, depending on the stove) and then another 35 mins covered at simmer for brown basmati and another 45-50 mins for regular brown rice.

Last edited:
I use a rice cooker and I need two times as much water for white rice and three times as much water for brown rice or it comes out chewy, and I hate chewy rice.

I use a rice cooker and I need two times as much water for white rice and three times as much water for brown rice or it comes out chewy, and I hate chewy rice.
Brown rice is supposed to be chewy. No wonder we have different methods. Doesn't it come out kinda mushy with all that water? Doesn't it take forever to absorb all that water.

The only time my rice didn't come out perfect was when I left out the salt. I have a friend with high blood pressure who needs to watch his salt. After three times have the rice be a bit sticky, I figured out that it was the salt.

I like brown Jasmine or Basmati rice the best (Vs regular short- or long-grain).

I use a 1:2 ratio of rice to water. (i.e. 1 c rice needs 2 c water).

I toast my brown rice in a small bit olive oil + butter (or coconut oil) just until it smells good. Then I add my water and some salt and bring it to boil. As soon as it boils I give it good stir, cover the pan and then turn the heat down low so that it simmers slowly but steadily. It generally takes 40-45 minutes to cook to our liking.

:yum:

When it's being used for Mexican / Southwest dishes, I make it with lime and cilantro. I just grate lime zest into the rice as it's browning and squeeze the juice in after zesting. Then once it's done cooking I stir in a big handful of chopped cilantro. (I generally use chicken stock in place of the water for extra flavor as well!)

Last edited:
This recipe is actually a weight loss diet created by a popular SA comedian. I find it tastes great as a side for most protein and it's delicious on its own too. Even my kids love it.
I like adding extra soy sauce when servinf it and it's good with chopped boiled egg, canned tuna, chopped chicken and cooked veggies like carrots, corn, broccoli or pretty much any chopped added veggies.

Ingredients

• BASIC MIXTURE

onion, finely chopped

cloves garlic, crushed (optional)
    ml
    oil
    ml
    curry powder

tomato, skinned and diced, or a few small tomatoes, skinned
    g
    brown rice
    ml
    lentils, sorted and rinsed
    ml
    chicken stock
    ml
    brown sugar
    ml
    soy sauce

• salt and freshly ground black pepper

Method

Sauté the onion and garlic in the oil until soft. Add 5-7 ml curry powder and stir-fry for about another minute. Add the tomato and simmer to form a purée. Add the brown rice and lentils and about 250 ml chicken stock and simmer slowly until the lentils and the rice are soft and cooked, but not mushy. Add more chicken stock as required ? just enough to be absorbed by the rice and lentils. Add the brown sugar and soy sauce and season with salt and black pepper. Serves 4.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom