"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 05-01-2012, 09:35 AM   #1
Cook

Lightbulb Need help finding the most nutritious rice mix

I am really getting into asian cuisine lately.But I cut out rice often.It's not that I don't like it.Just never cared much for it.I would like to get the most nutritious rice mix & cook it properly.I heard black,brown,& wild rice is most nutritious mix.But just heard
Thanks to all replies

Old 05-01-2012, 10:40 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Good Afternoon Chubbs,

I believe you might find Indiaīs, Vietnamīs and Thailandīs Rice Varieties, to be of great interest. In addition, a vast amount of these Rices are rose or green in color.

Good luck in your search.
Margi Cintrano.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:54 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Brown Rice with Sesame

Simple, delicious, and easy to prepare. Even easier if you own a rice cooker!
Old 05-01-2012, 11:51 AM   #4
Cook

Thanks!I read this from wikipedia.
Worldwide there are more than 40,000 different varieties of rice, species name Oryza sativa.
Crikey!Lol
Old 05-01-2012, 11:59 AM   #5
Half Baked

Asian markets usually carry some blends that have different rices and grains. Check them out.

Pearl barley makes a decent rice substitute too.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:29 PM   #6
Executive Chef

@ Chubbs: Kokuho - Rose Thai Medium Grain Rice

Thanks for your kind note. I had read an excellent article on Rices of Thailand and India, awhile back and thus, recalled this one ...

These are the websites in the article in Italian, and English and Thai.

www.cooksinfo.com

Indian rices are stunning ... Jasmine is a soft spring green rice if I recollect.

Kindest and Good Luck.
Margi
Old 05-01-2012, 02:53 PM   #7
Head Chef

Rices, true rices, are very similar to each other in nutrition. The difference between any rice that's been made into "white rice" by polishing and whole grain rice is far greater than any difference among varieties. White rice lacks vitamin C, A, K, and calcium and has far less of several other main nutrients than whole grain rice. It has one forth the fiber or whole grain. Thiamine, niacin, and iron are added back into white rice in the US, but not at the same levels as whole grain rice. Kind of like the difference between most any processed grain and its whole grain version.

Now, white rice is a valuable food, but if the question is about best nutrition, whole grain rice is absolutely the answer. We should mention "wild rice," another grass and close relative. Wild rice offers some benefits over whole grain rice and is worth mixing in.

My favorite is a mix of wild and wholegrain brown rices:

Lundberg Wild Blend, Gourmet Blend of Wild and Whole Grain Brown Rice, 16-Ounce Bags (Pack of 6): Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

More expensive than white rice, but worth it, I think, and it has enough flavor that we often make a meal of it cooked in good chicken stock with walnuts and pimentos.

I DO like my white rice, but I don't depend on it to be all that nutritious. That's what the whole grain is for.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:58 AM   #8
Sous Chef

I am no expert on rice, but I eat my share of it, especially since scoring a fancy rice cooker. My rice preference has always been Basmati, usually brown unless the dish demands white rice. I have recently been reading about the benefits of sprouted rice, and last night I put two cups of brown Basmati in the rice cooker with water and turned on to "keep warm" for an hour to start the sprouting process. Checked it this morning and it is sprouting, so I will cook it this afternoon, probably. I was going to do a white rice dish, a paella, but since this is in process the paella can wait. Sprouted rice is supposed to be higher in everything beneficial, and it makes sense. I have been sprouting other grains and beans and seeds for quite some time, and believe they are better that way. Often, I combine lentils with brown rice as a side for stir fry or whatever else, even a cold rice salad, and the leftovers become fried rice, fried with coconut oil. I will try the sprouted rice with added uncooked sprouted green lentils, and see if I am able to leap tall buildings in a single bound and stop speeding locomotives. You can Google hatsuga genmai for all the info on this stuff.
Old 06-17-2012, 03:50 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

White rice is boring. Good, but boring. Get yourself a rice cooker and explore. Like you said, there are 40,000 different rices. And there is always excellent advice right here at DC.
Old 06-17-2012, 05:34 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

I like cargo rice and brown rice. You can make your own rice blends.

Homemade Seasoned Rice Mix Recipe | Taste of Home Recipes

This is one I've made for years:

Wild Rice Pilaf Mix

You could probably make it using other kinds of rice. I tend to buy 10 lb of wild rice on my trips to MN, so have lots of wild rice on hand most of the time, so make it with wild rice.

Tags
rice