"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 07-16-2011, 10:10 PM   #51
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie
Yesterday I was reading about Japanese table and food etiquette and discovered, to my surprise, that pickled ginger is not to be eaten WITH a piece of sushi, but eaten between pieces as a palate cleanser. To place it ON the sushi is an insult to the cook. Even in a restaurant. And wasabi is to be mixed into the soy dipping sauce, and again, not placed directly on the piece of sushi or sashimi.

This was all new to me until yesterday, but I checked it out at more than two different sites.
Huh. Apparently I have insulted many sushi chefs. Love the pickled ginger! Always have mixed the wasabi, ever since I took a big bite of the pure stuff and couldn't breathe for half an hour. The nice couple behind us at the restaurant (many years ago) explained the procedure.

Good to know, Selkie!

Old 07-16-2011, 11:19 PM   #52
Head Chef

Regarding wasabi paste, I might add that most restaurants make it with store bought powder. Which is mostly horseradish with green food coloring. Fresh wasabi looks a lot like the root stock of galangal. It's crazy expensive, as is a tube of "fresh-grated." The taste is hard to describe... like grass & mud pie. You can eat a teaspoon of it straight up, and it hardly tickles your sinuses. Penzey's is the only store I've encountered which sells real, powdered New Zealand cultivated wasabi root.

Old 07-16-2011, 11:22 PM   #53
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

And it's Crazy good!
Old 07-16-2011, 11:23 PM   #54
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Even Penzeys's doesn't recommend the real wasabi. We use their horseradish/wasabi blend. Still good stuff.

My dad used to dig up massive horseradish from the farm, then blend with vinegar. It could make you pass out.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:28 PM   #55
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Even Penzeys's doesn't recommend the real wasabi. We use their horseradish mix. Still good stuff.
I got my own from Penzey's and it is good.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:31 PM   #56
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I got my own from Penzey's and it is good.
Odd, they now sell the blend only.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:36 PM   #57
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60

Odd, they now sell the blend only.
I remember reading from their catalog that they didn't rec the real deal.

I think I still have a little envelope of the pure stuff.

Wasabi, that is! They have a store in Mpls.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:39 PM   #58
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I remember reading from their catalog that they didn't rec the real deal.

I think I still have a little envelope of the pure stuff.
Yes, I have the most recent catalog right here with the description. I haven't even read it, yet. Too busy dinking around!
Old 07-17-2011, 10:12 AM   #59
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
My sushi freezer maintains a minus 15 to minus 25 temperature. I keep my fish in it for a minimum of 10 days to make sure. It's a counter-top freezer that holds about 5 pounds of meat.

I live in Florida, about a mile from the ocean, so I catch much of my sushi meat. Mostly "Whiting" (Southern Kingfish), and it's nice white meat is sweet and delicious raw or cooked.

I also use fresh fish from the market, but prep all of it as described above. Keeping your knife and counter surfaces absolutely clean between steps is the most important part of prepping raw fish for sushi.
My schematics for breaking into Timothy's kitchen in the dead of night to heist his sushi freezer is done. I've been practicing, and timing myself, on a mock-up counter-top safe. I just need to put the finishing stitches in my ninja costume...
Old 07-17-2011, 11:36 AM   #60
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork View Post
My schematics for breaking into Timothy's kitchen in the dead of night to heist his sushi freezer is done. I've been practicing, and timing myself, on a mock-up counter-top safe. I just need to put the finishing stitches in my ninja costume...
Do you need a driver for the get-away car?

Tags
dashi, mirin, recipe, rice, rice vinegar, seaweed, wasabi

Need Help with Sushi Yesterday, I decided that I wanted to learn to make Sushi and eat a lot of it. Especially if I can make it low sodium. Today I bought: [LIST] [*]sushi rice [*]nori [*]kumbo [*]bonita flakes [*]mirin [*]plum vinegar [*]shitake/shoyu concentrate [*]pickled ginger [/LIST]I have on hand: [LIST] [*]lots of soy sauce, shoyu, tamari [*]sesame oil [*]many spices [*]sesame seeds [*]canned tuna (Albacore) and canned Sockeye Salmon [*]Yellow Rockfish (?) and Cod, usually have tilapia on hand, too [/LIST]Veggies, I am ready and willing to use any and all veggies. Most have to be close to pureed for me to be able to eat them and I do have problems with most fresh vegetables. I plan on using many types of fish and, even though it is not traditional, chicken...haven't quite figured out how to incorporate pork...yet.:smile: I will not be using raw fish of any kind. Any help with ideas would be appreciated and I would like the recipe for Dashi, again. I thought I had copied and pasted it, if I did, I hid it from myself really well. Thank You 3 stars 1 reviews