"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 07-18-2011, 02:12 AM   #71
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
wow, very interesting info, timothy. I've also heard of many of the customs of politeness when eating sushi and certain rules when eating with chopsticks.

one thing i was taught by an itamae (of whom i was a regular customer for years) was that you should only dip a small amount of the fish half of a piece of sushi in soy sauce if you should prefer, never the rice half. the rice is already seasoned, and it would soak up far too much soy sauce to be reasonable.
I've heard two versions of the reasoning of why only the meat is dipped into the soy sauce (Shoyu). One, is as you said, the rice would *waste* the sauce because of the wicking of the rice. The second version is that it might cause rice to be wasted by falling into the sauce. Both versions are logical Japanese thinking. Who knows which is correct. Perhaps both.

Waste of food is something that was punishable by death at one time in Japan. Both of these versions of reasoning are in line with old laws and customs. They may have been accepted, each in thier own right, in different parts of Japan, or at different times.

Another bit of trivia for you; "sushi" means, literally; "Seasoned Rice". The rice is either sweet or less sweet according to the time of year in which it's eaten.

Here is an interesting bit of history about soy sauce itself:
History of Soy Sauce, Shoyu, and Tamari - Page 1

Old 07-18-2011, 08:25 AM   #72
Chief Eating Officer

As well as dipping the fish, not the rice in the soy sauce, you are also supposed to put the nigiri in your mouth fish side down so the fish is the first thing to hit your tongue. The fish is the expensive part of the meal and you are supposed yo have that flavor on your tongue first.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:53 AM   #73
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork View Post
Know your tab, or bring your card.
You got THAT right!

Eating high-end sushi in restaurants is as expensive as drugs, and as addicting. There is a place in El Segundo, California on main street called "Hana Haru". If you're in that area between 4pm and 6pm, the sushi is half price and worth every cent. Equal to the best sushi I've ever eaten. Even at half price, I seldom get out of there for less than $45. Oink!Snort!

That's also one of the reasons I love making my own sushi. I can do it with my sushi freezer for about 50 cents per/piece when buying top quality fresh fish at $8 a pound. One ounce per/piece.

When I catch my own fish for sushi, it's literally pennies per/piece. Growing your own veggies would also make it almost free.

Having it made for you in a nice place is lots of money.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:29 PM   #74
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

There is only one place here that I would trust the raw fish sushi and sashimi and I have never been there. I have yet to even try raw fish sushi, I cook all the fish/seafood that goes into mine. It's hard to be trusting of the fish and seafood when you live in Montana.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:53 PM   #75
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
There is only one place here that I would trust the raw fish sushi and sashimi and I have never been there. I have yet to even try raw fish sushi, I cook all the fish/seafood that goes into mine. It's hard to be trusting of the fish and seafood when you live in Montana.
Oddly, I've never had the occasion to eat sushi in any land-locked location. Every time I've had it in a restaurant, it's been in an area close to the sea. I never thought of that in regard to sushi.

By law, (FDA in the USA), all fish that is served as sushi must be processed by freezing at minus 4F or lower, for a minimum of 7 days prior to being served raw. The location it's served makes little difference and you should look only to the professionalism and cleanliness of the restaurant. This information was given me by an administrator in the scientific areas of the FDA when I enquired about eating locally caught "Whiting" from my surf fishing.

This was a couple years ago, but I'm sure every place has to obey these laws and regulations, with only a few exceptions.

When you do choose to try raw fish sushi, I would suggest trying the "Spicy Tuna" or "Spicy Scallops" in the form of Gukenzushi, (Battleship Sushi), as some of the most easily likable types of raw seafood. The Tuna has a wonderful flavor that is totally unlike cooked tuna and the scallops are sweet and super tender. Neither has any "fishy" flavor.

Good luck to you in your sushi adventures!
Old 07-18-2011, 08:47 PM   #76
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I'm going to have to get my supervisor to go with me, Shrek won't touch it for sure. You should see him if he even thinks "seaweed" has gotten close to something he might think of eating. I think I'll tell him the next box of donuts are seaweed donuts...
Old 07-18-2011, 08:49 PM   #77
Cupcake

Quote:
I'm going to have to get my supervisor to go with me, Shrek won't touch it for sure. You should see him if he even thinks "seaweed" has gotten close to something he might think of eating. I think I'll tell him the next box of donuts are seaweed donuts...
I love sushi! I even have fun making it!
Old 07-18-2011, 09:05 PM   #78
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
I love sushi! I even have fun making it!
Well, if you were HERE, I would take you with me to go get Sushi. Yes, and Frank too...I'm sure we could find something charred and pork for him.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:10 PM   #79
Cupcake

Quote:
Well, if you were HERE, I would take you with me to go get Sushi. Yes, and Frank too...I'm sure we could find something charred and pork for him.

Or if you were HERE! Frank likes sushi!
Old 07-18-2011, 09:26 PM   #80
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post

Or if you were HERE! Frank likes sushi!
Let's see...Mom could do without seeing me this year...

Tags
dashi, mirin, recipe, rice, rice vinegar, seaweed, wasabi

Need Help with Sushi Yesterday, I decided that I wanted to learn to make Sushi and eat a lot of it. Especially if I can make it low sodium. Today I bought: [LIST] [*]sushi rice [*]nori [*]kumbo [*]bonita flakes [*]mirin [*]plum vinegar [*]shitake/shoyu concentrate [*]pickled ginger [/LIST]I have on hand: [LIST] [*]lots of soy sauce, shoyu, tamari [*]sesame oil [*]many spices [*]sesame seeds [*]canned tuna (Albacore) and canned Sockeye Salmon [*]Yellow Rockfish (?) and Cod, usually have tilapia on hand, too [/LIST]Veggies, I am ready and willing to use any and all veggies. Most have to be close to pureed for me to be able to eat them and I do have problems with most fresh vegetables. I plan on using many types of fish and, even though it is not traditional, chicken...haven't quite figured out how to incorporate pork...yet.:smile: I will not be using raw fish of any kind. Any help with ideas would be appreciated and I would like the recipe for Dashi, again. I thought I had copied and pasted it, if I did, I hid it from myself really well. Thank You 3 stars 1 reviews