Need Help with Sushi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My book on Sushi and Sashimi shows it both ways for serving. It also shows Sashimi being served with Onigiri of different shapes and sizes. Maybe it's just different presentations by different people, no right or wrong way.

That being said...time for some Miso and Shiitake soup and an Umeboshi Onigiri for lunch.

my favorite homemade sushi is a spicy salmon roll. I use about a pound to a pound and a half of fresh salmon. I start by scrapping with a sharp knife the fish to get a paste like consistancy, do this with half of the fish. Take the other half and chop into small dice. Add one Tbl. mayo, a few drops of sesame oil, 2 chopped green onions and a few squirts of sriracha hot sauce. Mix and let stand for an hour. Roll with rice covered nori and add sliced avocado.

You have all just became my bestest friends in the world...hehe

I love sushi of all kinds. I'm not too partial to using mackerel, because the flavor is just too wildly strong to me, but I enjoy most everything else.

I have my own sushi freezer. When using raw fish or any raw meats, it's wise to first place it into minus four degrees fahrenheit or colder for a minimum of 7 days. This will kill any parasites that are in the meat.

How you handle raw meat is very, very important for the other type of harm it can do to you. Bacteria. The way sushi chefs prepare a block of raw meat is to first freeze it as described above. This is mandatory in the USA with only a few exceptions. Then, the meat is cold thawed in ice water until it is just firmly frozen.

The block is placed on a sanitized wooden surface and the first outside cuts of 1/16th of an inch are made, with the outside pieces caught and moved to a new area, as to not contaminate the rest.

Then, after the first four cuts are made, (end, end, side, side), the block is moved to a clean spot and place so that the last two sides can be cut.

Then, the block is moved once more to a sanitized surface where it can be used as any type of sushi. All of the outer surfaces have been removed with clean procedures and the parasites have been killed via freezing at the proper temperature and time duration.

By doing this with any meat except pork, you can make it safe to eat raw. Pork has other problems that make it unsuitable for raw consumption.

My sushi freezer maintains a minus 15 to minus 25 temperature. I keep my fish in it for a minimum of 10 days to make sure. It's a counter-top freezer that holds about 5 pounds of meat.

I live in Florida, about a mile from the ocean, so I catch much of my sushi meat. Mostly "Whiting" (Southern Kingfish), and it's nice white meat is sweet and delicious raw or cooked.

I also use fresh fish from the market, but prep all of it as described above. Keeping your knife and counter surfaces absolutely clean between steps is the most important part of prepping raw fish for sushi.

You folks can hurt me with all this sushi talk. I'm so hungry now that I might just crawl into the fridge and not come back out until it's empty!

This will be my favorite thread on the entire site!

Ohhhh yum yum yum yum yum! :LOL:

I don't get fresh fish in Montana, I don't eat raw fish sushi. But, you can throw everything else at me. Sushi actually ended up being my entree to Bento...I have lots more interest in that!

Thanks, Spork! I know there was a discussion on Dashi...just can't seem to find it on my own.

I have a fresh pork roast in the fridge, just haven't gotten around to cooking it. Ideas welcome.:) I was thinking crockpot overnight, salt, pepper and garlic only.
I'd do the pork that way and the slow cooker gives you wonderful shredded meat. I like the part that stickes to the sides and gets cruncy and dark. You might add a little brown sugar at the end if you like the garlic taste add at the end,
kades:)

I'd do the pork that way and the slow cooker gives you wonderful shredded meat. I like the part that stickes to the sides and gets cruncy and dark. You might add a little brown sugar at the end if you like the garlic taste add at the end,
kades:)

Thanks, Kades!

Thanks, Kades!
You're welcome. Have you considered a California roll. I love them the avocado, cucumber, rice. YUMMY I can't remember all that is in there but I do remember it has pickled ginger in it and I buy extra to snack on. Love themDid you buy the wooden roller for the sushi?It really helps I understand.

kades

You're welcome. Have you considered a California roll. I love them the avocado, cucumber, rice. YUMMY I can't remember all that is in there but I do remember it has pickled ginger in it and I buy extra to snack on. Love themDid you buy the wooden roller for the sushi?It really helps I understand.

kades

I make California rolls a lot, love them. Yes, I do have all the tools for rolling, but I have found they taste just as good if they aren't rolled and I have more time for other things. It's just me eating them.:pig:

Yesterday I was reading about Japanese table and food etiquette and discovered, to my surprise, that pickled ginger is not to be eaten WITH a piece of sushi, but eaten between pieces as a palate cleanser. To place it ON the sushi is an insult to the cook. Even in a restaurant. And wasabi is to be mixed into the soy dipping sauce, and again, not placed directly on the piece of sushi or sashimi.

This was all new to me until yesterday, but I checked it out at more than two different sites.

Yesterday I was reading about Japanese table and food etiquette and discovered, to my surprise, that pickled ginger is not to be eaten WITH a piece of sushi, but eaten between pieces as a palate cleanser. To place it ON the sushi is an insult to the cook. Even in a restaurant. And wasabi is to be mixed into the soy dipping sauce, and again, not placed directly on the piece of sushi or sashimi.

This was all new to me until yesterday, but I checked it out at more than two different sites.

Pickled Ginger doesn't even make it to my sushi meal...for some reason the jar is magically emptied...I have a bad case of ginger breath!:angel:

The wasabi-soy sauce is fantastic! I've been making it since I read about how all the condiments are really supposed to be eaten. It's definitely a different and excellent flavor.

Selkie said:

Huh. Apparently I have insulted many sushi chefs. Love the pickled ginger! Always have mixed the wasabi, ever since I took a big bite of the pure stuff and couldn't breathe for half an hour. The nice couple behind us at the restaurant (many years ago) explained the procedure.

Good to know, Selkie!

Regarding wasabi paste, I might add that most restaurants make it with store bought powder. Which is mostly horseradish with green food coloring. Fresh wasabi looks a lot like the root stock of galangal. It's crazy expensive, as is a tube of "fresh-grated." The taste is hard to describe... like grass & mud pie. You can eat a teaspoon of it straight up, and it hardly tickles your sinuses. Penzey's is the only store I've encountered which sells real, powdered New Zealand cultivated wasabi root.

Even Penzeys's doesn't recommend the real wasabi. We use their horseradish/wasabi blend. Still good stuff.

My dad used to dig up massive horseradish from the farm, then blend with vinegar. It could make you pass out.

Last edited:
PrincessFiona60 said:
Odd, they now sell the blend only.

I remember reading from their catalog that they didn't rec the real deal.

I think I still have a little envelope of the pure stuff.

Wasabi, that is! They have a store in Mpls.

Last edited:
I remember reading from their catalog that they didn't rec the real deal.

I think I still have a little envelope of the pure stuff.

Yes, I have the most recent catalog right here with the description. I haven't even read it, yet. Too busy dinking around! :LOL:

My sushi freezer maintains a minus 15 to minus 25 temperature. I keep my fish in it for a minimum of 10 days to make sure. It's a counter-top freezer that holds about 5 pounds of meat.

I live in Florida, about a mile from the ocean, so I catch much of my sushi meat. Mostly "Whiting" (Southern Kingfish), and it's nice white meat is sweet and delicious raw or cooked.

I also use fresh fish from the market, but prep all of it as described above. Keeping your knife and counter surfaces absolutely clean between steps is the most important part of prepping raw fish for sushi.
:LOL:

My schematics for breaking into Timothy's kitchen in the dead of night to heist his sushi freezer is done. I've been practicing, and timing myself, on a mock-up counter-top safe. I just need to put the finishing stitches in my ninja costume...

My schematics for breaking into Timothy's kitchen in the dead of night to heist his sushi freezer is done. I've been practicing, and timing myself, on a mock-up counter-top safe. I just need to put the finishing stitches in my ninja costume...

Do you need a driver for the get-away car?

Back
Top Bottom