"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 01-30-2011, 08:50 PM   #1
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Need Help with Sushi

Yesterday, I decided that I wanted to learn to make Sushi and eat a lot of it. Especially if I can make it low sodium. Today I bought:
  • sushi rice
  • nori
  • kumbo
  • bonita flakes
  • mirin
  • plum vinegar
  • shitake/shoyu concentrate
  • pickled ginger
I have on hand:
  • lots of soy sauce, shoyu, tamari
  • sesame oil
  • many spices
  • sesame seeds
  • canned tuna (Albacore) and canned Sockeye Salmon
  • Yellow Rockfish (?) and Cod, usually have tilapia on hand, too
Veggies, I am ready and willing to use any and all veggies. Most have to be close to pureed for me to be able to eat them and I do have problems with most fresh vegetables.

I plan on using many types of fish and, even though it is not traditional, chicken...haven't quite figured out how to incorporate pork...yet. I will not be using raw fish of any kind.

Any help with ideas would be appreciated and I would like the recipe for Dashi, again. I thought I had copied and pasted it, if I did, I hid it from myself really well.

Thank You

Old 01-30-2011, 09:03 PM   #2
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to danpeikes
I have used shredded beef, sweet potato, butternut squash. try and get some fresh tuna, canned tuna just won't be the same. Don't give up it takes practice. I know they say "rolling" but it is more of a folding motion.

danpeikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:04 PM   #3
Senior Cook

also get yourself a very sharp and long knife.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:08 PM   #4
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by danpeikes View Post
I have used shredded beef, sweet potato, butternut squash. try and get some fresh tuna, canned tuna just won't be the same. Don't give up it takes practice. I know they say "rolling" but it is more of a folding motion.
Until I'm fairly good, I don't want to spend the money on fresh tuna...it's expensive. So, it looks like I can put most anything in sushi. My knives are great!
Old 01-30-2011, 09:14 PM   #5
Head Chef

PF, there was post just a couple days ago, re dashi from scratch. I'll go find the thread...

In the meantime, !
Try shredded roast pork (shoulder butt, be sure to include some charred bits) and kimchee (korean pickled cabbage) or another veggie that can hold up to a little vinegar and lots of hot pepper spice.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:19 PM   #6
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork View Post
PF, there was post just a couple days ago, re dashi from scratch. I'll go find the thread...

In the meantime, !
Try shredded roast pork (shoulder butt, be sure to include some charred bits) and kimchee (korean pickled cabbage) or another veggie that can hold up to a little vinegar and lots of hot pepper spice.
Thanks, Spork! I know there was a discussion on Dashi...just can't seem to find it on my own.

I have a fresh pork roast in the fridge, just haven't gotten around to cooking it. Ideas welcome. I was thinking crockpot overnight, salt, pepper and garlic only.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:23 PM   #7
Head Chef

Any good recipes with seaweed

Dashi also comes in powder or granulated packages, for cooks in a hurry.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:47 PM   #8
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork View Post
Any good recipes with seaweed

Dashi also comes in powder or granulated packages, for cooks in a hurry.
Thank you, Thank you!

I was looking for the Dashi in powder form...they were out. I just realized, I forgot to buy a sushi mat.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:54 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Until I'm fairly good, I don't want to spend the money on fresh tuna...it's expensive. So, it looks like I can put most anything in sushi. My knives are great!
The only rule with sushi is must contain seasoned rice. Go with some good fresh salmon if fresh tuna is to pricey. I find the lighter fleshed fish get very fishy in sushi but that is just one mans opinion.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:57 PM   #10
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by danpeikes View Post
The only rule with sushi is must contain seasoned rice. Go with some good fresh salmon if fresh tuna is to pricey. I find the lighter fleshed fish get very fishy in sushi but that is just one mans opinion.
Thanks, Dan!

Does anyone have a favorite seasoned rice recipe. I got one from the store:

1:1 rice and water, bring to boil, cover and simmer 50 minutes. Cool and add 1/4 cup rice vinegar to each cup of cooked rice.

Tags
dashi, mirin, recipe, rice, rice vinegar, seaweed, wasabi

Need Help with Sushi Yesterday, I decided that I wanted to learn to make Sushi and eat a lot of it. Especially if I can make it low sodium. Today I bought: [LIST] [*]sushi rice [*]nori [*]kumbo [*]bonita flakes [*]mirin [*]plum vinegar [*]shitake/shoyu concentrate [*]pickled ginger [/LIST]I have on hand: [LIST] [*]lots of soy sauce, shoyu, tamari [*]sesame oil [*]many spices [*]sesame seeds [*]canned tuna (Albacore) and canned Sockeye Salmon [*]Yellow Rockfish (?) and Cod, usually have tilapia on hand, too [/LIST]Veggies, I am ready and willing to use any and all veggies. Most have to be close to pureed for me to be able to eat them and I do have problems with most fresh vegetables. I plan on using many types of fish and, even though it is not traditional, chicken...haven't quite figured out how to incorporate pork...yet.:smile: I will not be using raw fish of any kind. Any help with ideas would be appreciated and I would like the recipe for Dashi, again. I thought I had copied and pasted it, if I did, I hid it from myself really well. Thank You 3 stars 1 reviews