"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 07-06-2006, 10:24 PM   #1
Master Chef

New bean flavor, Cinamon Beans

Never had this before. Never heard of anyone making this before. Had to try it.

Cinamon Beans
Ingredients:
1 12-oz. can black beans
1/8 cup Splenda
1 tbs. Mollases
1/8 tsp. Maple Extract
1 tsp. Cinamon
2 hot dogs, sliced into inch-thick rounds

Drain can liquore. Put everything in a pot. Stir well. Heat over medium setting till bubbling. Serve.

Critique: Pretty good. Not great. Needs tweaking. If anyone has a recipe similar to this that is very good, I'd like to hear it. This flavor pairing has promise.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 11:27 PM   #2
Hospitality Queen

I wonder if I could substitute honey for splenda (still don't use it). Also, do you suppose (now this is wacky, but then again, so am I) that you could throw in some cinnamon red hot candies for some extra oomph?
And, if you were to crock pot these beans, how about some peeled apple chunks?

Old 07-06-2006, 11:40 PM   #3
Senior Cook

I'm not a big fan of cinnamon but I regularly add ground fennel or whole fennel seed to my beans. The flavor is quite complementary with beans and split peas. I'll try your recipe since you've piqued my interest.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:52 PM   #4
Master Chef

jkath; I think chunks of apple might be good in this. And the candies, well, I would reduce the sugar just a bit if I were to use the red-hots. Also, the Splenda/mollases bit is to create a brown sugar flavor. So you could just use brown sugar in place of it.

Aurora. You might try ginger with allspice and cloves in place of the cinamon. I once had a slice of bean pie that was nearly indistiguishable from pumpkin pie. And the basic flavors of cinamon, ginger, and cloves are what give pumkin pie its flavor.

A combination of beans and acorn squash would also make a great combination for the same reasons. The flavors, I believe, would be complimentary. In fact, spices such as cumin and fennel are used in pumpkin soup. If you play around with the flavors of both beans and members of the winter squash family (acorn, hubbard, sweet dumpling, etc.) you will notice similar flavors.

I think this could lead to a whole bunch of new recipes.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 03:39 PM   #5
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I'll just offer a tiny little eew! for this one. Okay, to be fair, I have found that a lot of foods that I didn't think sounded good really are good, so if I ever see this somewhere I will try it.

Barbara

Tags
None