"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 12-01-2005, 07:46 PM   #21
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
Kadesma, do you have a picture of your rolling pin? And do you just sort of smear the filling on the dough or do you have to place it where the pockets will be?
http://www.ravioliroller.com/index.html

http://www.ravioliroller.com/steps.html

I don't use the ravioli maker attachment for my machine, as I don't have it. It is easy, once you've pressed the dough to smear on the fillings and top w another layer of dough and cut. This link I mentioned shows every variation possible and is the best imo.

Constance the site below also gives a good basic dough recipe. (Check out all the topics on the left of the page.) I found some filling ideas, I'll try to post.But, this is a great site toclick around and read all the info.

http://www.hormel.com/templates/know...emid=44&id=526

Old 12-01-2005, 11:30 PM   #22
Master Chef

ArticKatt - please forgive me ... maybe what you are calling a pasta machine and what I was thinking of being a pasta machine are maybe not the same? To me, a pasta machine is a roller gizmo like the Atlas, Imperia or VillaWare like this ... but the recipe you gave would be more fitting to a pasta extruder machine (which would require a much softer dough). Although I am still confused about, "I used a basic recipe of 2 cups floor and 6 eggs as I was cooking for 6 pasta lovers."

The ravioli roller mish linked to is one that I have seen. I'm more familiar with the "old world" wooden rollers like this - but they do come in different sizes if you check around for them - and someone makes one that is a composite of both plastic and wood.

The other thing that I was talking about, kind of like an ice-cube tray, looks like this - again they come in different sizes and shapes (round or square) if you look around for them.

Personally - I'm still making them totally by hand (and I have NEVER used won-ton wrappers). I make the dough, crank it out in a 6-inch wide strip, and depending on the size of ravioli I want I spoon the filling on, and cut and seal by hand.

Old 12-02-2005, 12:02 AM   #23
Assistant Cook

Anyone use one of these ?
It's a cherry wood noodle cutter. Price: $21.95
I've been rolling out my dough by hand using a
japanese rolling pin made especially for noodles.
I then roll up the dough like a jelly roll and cut the noodles
about 1/4 inch with a very sharp knife.
This looks like a better way to do it if it works as advertised.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:44 AM   #24
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW
ArticKatt - please forgive me ... maybe what you are calling a pasta machine and what I was thinking of being a pasta machine are maybe not the same? To me, a pasta machine is a roller gizmo like the Atlas, Imperia or VillaWare like this ... but the recipe you gave would be more fitting to a pasta extruder machine (which would require a much softer dough). Although I am still confused about, "I used a basic recipe of 2 cups floor and 6 eggs as I was cooking for 6 pasta lovers."

The ravioli roller mish linked to is one that I have seen. I'm more familiar with the "old world" wooden rollers like this - but they do come in different sizes if you check around for them - and someone makes one that is a composite of both plastic and wood.

The other thing that I was talking about, kind of like an ice-cube tray, looks like this - again they come in different sizes and shapes (round or square) if you look around for them.

Personally - I'm still making them totally by hand (and I have NEVER used won-ton wrappers). I make the dough, crank it out in a 6-inch wide strip, and depending on the size of ravioli I want I spoon the filling on, and cut and seal by hand.
The Imperia is the one I use. I posted the link to the rolling pin thing for Alix. I make mine by hand. It is just as easy, to me. I have the ice cube thing & I do not use it.

I also saw the six eggs immediately, and thought that was way too many eggs, but ????
Old 12-02-2005, 11:46 AM   #25
Everymom

I LOVE you people! Mish, did you intentionally give me a Canadian company or was that just kismet? I totally want one of these! That would make life very very easy. Treetoad, I would really like one of those rollers too, do you have a link for it? I am not finding anything when I google. (Admittedly I am a little low on coffee at the moment though, so that is likely my fault)
Old 12-02-2005, 12:48 PM   #26
Master Chef

Mish, I couldn't get the page to come up.
I used the recipe that came with the pasta machine. I just don't think I worked enough flour into it. I was watching a guy make pasta dough on TV the other day, and the dough looked very stiff.
I just need to work on it, I guess.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:40 PM   #27
Cook

Send a message via AIM to Gerrycooks
I would be very careful when buying a used pasta machine. Some people use them to roll out polymer clay for craft projects. I don't think you can use the machine for pasta after rolling out clay.
I have an Imperia and also use the ravioli plates to make ravioli.
My recipe for pasta is 1 c flour 1 egg, 1 tea olive oil. If it is too dry I use a little water.
Pasta is like making pizza dough. Once you get the technique down its easy.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:05 PM   #28
Assistant Cook

Alix,

Here's the link to the noodle cutter.
I just bought a Grain Mill from this company
and it works like a dream. I've been making bread
but have'nt made noodles with the flour yet because it works well
for bread but seems a little too course for noodles.
Perhaps if I mix it 50/50 with store bought flour.
http://www.lehmans.com/jump.jsp?item...CT&itemID=1009
Old 12-03-2005, 11:21 AM   #29
Everymom

Thank you!
Old 12-03-2005, 11:50 AM   #30
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
Mish, I couldn't get the page to come up.
I used the recipe that came with the pasta machine. I just don't think I worked enough flour into it. I was watching a guy make pasta dough on TV the other day, and the dough looked very stiff.
I just need to work on it, I guess.
Sorry about that link, Constance. Try this one and click on all the topics on the left of the page (i.e. Homemade pasta, etc).

http://www.hormel.com/templates/know...emid=44&id=526

Tags
None