New Pasta machine.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ArticKatt

Cook
I got a new pasta machine and I made some basic noodles and loved them and the machine. I got a real steal of a deal on the thing and was able to pick it up. got to love ebay. Now I want to expariment. I have a ton of recipes for sauce so I don't need those just recipes for noodles and I also want to try some stuffed pasta's Any ideas and recipes would be great

Thanks

Isn't it exciting to get a new toy. Enjoy! You'll have to post pictures and results of how you like the taste vs. premade pasta. :)

I have oodles of noodle recipes in a cookbook I like called (what else?) PASTA, by Time-Life Books/Alexandria Virginia. There are recipes for several flavored pastas and lovely pictures. If you can get to a library, take a look and see if it's a book you might want. Tell me, how did you make/ingredients your noodles? TIA

I too got my pasta machine on Ebay. Haven't used it in awhile but now thats it winter here I plan on making some home made pasta.Did your pasta machine come with any recipes?

The noodles came out great and tasted great as well. I used a basic recipe of 2 cups floor and 6 eggs as I was cooking for 6 pasta lovers. I added 2 TBSP of egg white protein. this is easy to get here and boosts the protein content of food. it worked really well in the pasta. I have seen recipes for yolks only but the book said whole eggs.

This is a really cool link. It has lots of recipes for flavored/colored pasta dough and various methods for making the dough - and much much more. It is very similar to the Pasta book I like that includes beet, spinach, lemon, garlic, herbs, sqid, chocolate flavored dough, etc. I took it down from the shelf and it's actually called The Good Cook - Pasta (Techniques and Recipes) - Time/Life Books. The machine I have is an Imperia. I could look through the book and see what else I can find. There's a killer lasagna with both a meat and white sauce made with Spinach dough/noodles.

http://www.hormel.com/templates/knowledge/knowledge.asp?catitemid=44&id=526

I've wanted to try the tomato dough... someday, I hope.

Last edited:
Alix I saw in a post you did about making raviolie well I would just cut the dough and they shape them using a bit of egg on the edges to seal. thats how my dad did it anyway. and how I plan to do it.

I think that is how I will do it too, once I get around to it. It just seems easier than doing it any other way.

Almost any leftover meat will make great ravioli! Experiment and have fun! Cannelloni is fun to make too! You don't have to stay with Italian either...think Pot Stickers! Mmmmmmmmm!

Does anyone use a ravioli rolling Pin? I buy about 10 feet of dough from a deli then spread a part of it with my filling fold over another piece of the dough, roll, and use a jagged edge cutting wheel to cut around each ravioli. This seals them for you no egg wash needed..I then place on a cookie sheet sprinkled with rice flour and flash freeze..When hard, I put into baggies and leave in freezer til water in pot is at hard rolling boil..There seems to be many ways to make ravioli, I find this the quickest.

kadesma

What sort of maker did you buy?

A motorised or "Armstrong"(manual)?

We use the Armstrong method. Haven't bought commercial pasta for years.

Good luck & have fun.....

ArticKatt - from the recipes I've seen for homemade/handmade pasta - 2 Cups flour and 6 eggs sounds more like a batter than a dough - the normal ratio for Italian type 00 flour for pasta (or American all purpose) is 3/4 - 1 Cup flour to 1 egg ... for ravioli or something a little firmer, you might add an extra egg yolk for each 2 cups flour/2 eggs. (ref: Lidia Bastianich, Nick Stellino, Carlo Middione, Biba Caggiano, Mario Batali, Julia Child, etc.) but would really be interested in the type of flour you were using that 2 cups of flour could absorb 6 eggs.

Some books you might want to check out, if you're looking for "alternative", "specialty" or "neuvo" noodle recipes, are:

The Pasta Gourmet by Sunny Baker

Pasta Exotica by Mary Jane Wilan

The Pasta Machine Cookbook by Donna German

In addition to the above 3 books, the other book I have is:

Pasta! by Pamela Sheldon Johns - but this is more about authentic Italian pasta than the above 3 books.

kadesma - I've been looking at the ravioli rolling pins ... haven't tried one, yet. I've also looked at the ravioli things that look like ice-cube trays ... maybe, someday ....

Last edited:
Michael in FtW said:
ArticKatt - from the recipes I've seen for homemade/handmade pasta - 2 Cups flour and 6 eggs sounds more like a batter than a dough - the normal ratio for Italian type 00 flour for pasta (or American all purpose) is 3/4 - 1 Cup flour to 1 egg ... for ravioli or something a little firmer, you might add an extra egg yolk for each 2 cups flour/2 eggs. (ref: Lidia Bastianich, Nick Stellino, Carlo Middione, Biba Caggiano, Mario Batali, Julia Child, etc.) but would really be interested in the type of flour you were using that 2 cups of flour could absorb 6 eggs.

Some books you might want to check out, if you're looking for "alternative", "specialty" or "neuvo" noodle recipes, are:

The Pasta Gourmet by Sunny Baker

Pasta Exotica by Mary Jane Wilan

The Pasta Machine Cookbook by Donna German

In addition to the above 3 books, the other book I have is:

Pasta! by Pamela Sheldon Johns - but this is more about authentic Italian pasta than the above 3 books.

kadesma - I've been looking at the ravioli rolling pins ... haven't tried one, yet. I've also looked at the ravioli things that look like ice-cube trays ... maybe, someday ....
Michael, I've seen the one that looks like an ice cube tray, I myself prefer the rolling pin. You will find you get more little ravioli per sheet of dough and it will be faster then say making 10 or so at a time..Of course there are those who make one at a time with won ton skins..Like anything else we do it either the way we learned as kids or by trial and error til we come up with the way that we prefer...I do wish I could show you the ones I have, my mother-in law had one that made a little larger ravioli than mine does I prefer the smaller, and so do my girls, DH and sons like the bigger...soooo:LOL: I hope you get a chance to try out both item and can choose whichever one you feel you like best.

kadesma:)

Kadesma, do you have a picture of your rolling pin? And do you just sort of smear the filling on the dough or do you have to place it where the pockets will be?

Alix said:
Kadesma, do you have a picture of your rolling pin? And do you just sort of smear the filling on the dough or do you have to place it where the pockets will be?
Alix, no picture, but I'll see what I can find...I buy my pasta dough from a deli and get 10 feet, I then roll out the amount I want to smear the filling on then fold more of the sheet of dough over it, then I cut unfold and spread the filling up to about a 1/2 inch from the top,bottom and sides, bring the dough back over the top of filling. You will then have three sides that will seal as you roll..You roll the pin down the length of the pasta, pressing firmly, then you will see as you remove the rolling pin about an 1/8 inch separation between each little pillow or ravioli, you then cun the notched cutter on this surface and you have all of the ravs cut and ready to place on your rice floured cookie sheet to freeze :LOL: It sounds like a lot of work, but I tried making them one by one and it drove me up the wall..so I do it this way..I'm wanting to make some pumpkin ravioli and serve them with brown butter,sage and parmesan cheese...Hopefully I can for Christmas, but getting the dough we shall see...Hope this helped a little..Will see what I can find on the rolling pin..I got it at a little old Italian place years ago..
kadesma:)

Thank you for reminding me...I got a pasta roller last spring, and have only used it once. Now that the wind is howling (gonna get down to 18 tonight), it's time for me to get it out again.
Here's my problem...my dough wasn't nearly stiff enough. I need to try one of you guy's recipes. I also need cooking times. The noodles I fixed were too thin, and I guess I cooked them to long. I have a LONG way to go before I get it right.
HELP!!!!:(

Connie, when I make noodles, I always make sure to do them enough ahead so they can dry for an hour or so before cooking..I then only cook for a few minutes, infact not more the 5-6 minutes unless they are really think and heavey..I stand there and pull one out and test it at about 2 min, give them a try..If you want I'll look up one of my recipes, for you..My favorite is fettucine..let me know:LOL: Oh, by drying I at times cover a table with newspapers, then a clean table cloth and then just lay them out or you can take a few and swirl them into a nest, when I nest them I sprinkle with fice flour so they don't stick..I usually freeze the nested ones..

kadesma

Back
Top Bottom