"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...
View Poll Results: do you rinse your pasta when making spaghetti?
Yes 7 17.50%
No 33 82.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-12-2005, 11:50 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Noodle advice

hello everyone. i am new to the board and just wanted to say hi. i also need other opinions on a subject.

ok the wife and i have been having this discussion for a while.
i was taught when you cook your paste for spaghetti, to rinse the noodles. before serving. this gets rids of the starchy taste.

my wife does not rinse the noodles and says the starch helps the sauce to stick to the spaghetti noodles.

do you you rinse or not?

thank you all for your help

Old 07-13-2005, 12:02 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

hiya cifer,

my dw and i have the same battle; she rinses, i don't. i think it washes away flavor, she says it reduces calories.
i don't know about the technicalities of the starch/sticky thing with sauce, but it would seem wet noodles would absorb sauce less. (although, wet noodles can be fun with the right person, especially lasagna)

another conundrum: you are "supposed" to toss your pasta with the sauce to let it soak in, but i actually like the starchy contrast of a few pieces of un-sauced pasta on the edges of my dish. kinda like eating chinese food the right way. the rice is served on the side, not buried under the entree. the starch, in this case rice, contrasts or offsets the flavors of the main dish. it's sort of a baseline component of the "symphony" of the tastes of the meal.

Old 07-13-2005, 01:12 AM   #3
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I was taught to rinse spaghetti, but I usually don't. I haven't really noticed much difference either way, as far as the sauce sticking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
another conundrum: you are "supposed" to toss your pasta with the sauce to let it soak in, but i actually like the starchy contrast of a few pieces of un-sauced pasta on the edges of my dish. kinda like eating chinese food the right way. the rice is served on the side, not buried under the entree. the starch, in this case rice, contrasts or offsets the flavors of the main dish. it's sort of a baseline component of the "symphony" of the tastes of the meal.
I like to put my spaghetti on my plate, then spoon the meat sauce on top of it. I don't stir it up. You mentioned rice, bucktom. When I eat chop suey or chow mein, I do it the same way. I spoon the sauce over the top of my rice, but I don't stir it. That way I get sauce and noodles/rice in the same bite, but it isn't just a mixed up glop.

Barbara
Old 07-13-2005, 01:13 AM   #4
Assistant Cook

thanks for all the advice. and truth be told, i cant really tell a differance between hers and mine. but you know some people will argue just to argue, thats us.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:39 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

i see what you mean barbara, i guess that the whole idea is the controlled ingestion of the saucy dish, the starchy base, and the mix thereof. again, a symphony...
Old 07-13-2005, 06:40 AM   #6
Assistant Cook

Smile

I dont rinse it either but probably I should bcos it does taste better and it is same for the rice too
Old 07-13-2005, 08:00 AM   #7
Assistant Cook

It is true that the starch helps the sauce cling to the pasta. Italians don't rinse their pasta. The only time pasta should be rinsed is for pasta salad.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:25 AM   #8
Chief Eating Officer

I don't rinse. I find the starch does help thicken the sauce and helps hold the sauce on the noodles. Like you said though, if you have tried it and can't tell the difference then whatever way you like is the right way
Old 07-13-2005, 09:34 AM   #9
Head Chef

I don't rinse, only if I use it in a cold salad.
Old 07-13-2005, 10:02 AM   #10
Cook

It is true that Italians (of which I am one) do not rinse our pasta. however when I worked for a catering company whch sometimes fed upwards of 6000 people on a weekend, we precooked our pasta usually (Mostacolli/penne) the day before until it
was almost done and then quickly put in in an ice bath of water and let it dry.
When we had to serve it we had a pot of boiling salted water on the stove with a strainer and could have the pasta ready this way in about 30 seconds as needed.

Tags
None