NOW what'd I do?!?!? (dried beans)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

suziquzie

Chef Extraordinaire
I had no canned kidney beans for my chili.
I had a bag of dried.
CLOSELY following instructions on the bag, I did the quick soak (hot water, boil 2 min, let stand and hour), then the cooking for 2 hours....
after an hour they are close to mush and look like this.
I'm sure sitting in the chili (now for tomorrow as it is 6:00) will make them pure babyfood!!!! :mad:
Should I have skipped the cooking and added to the chili after the soaking?
I thought no because I only simmer the chili about 20 min.....

Attachments

• IMG_2768.jpg
    IMG_2768.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 212
You cooked them for too long. But I guess you figured that out....;)

Cooking times for dry beans are unpredictable, as they depend on the age of the beans and what you are cooking them with. But 2 hours seems like a long time no matter what.

Soak them and begin the cooking process but even after 30-45 minutes begin to check them for doneness. You'll need to check them a few times to make sure they're done but not mushy.

DONT soak and put in chili if it's only going to cook for 20 minutes. That's not nearly long enough. And undercooked red kidney beans can make you sick.

Just about all of them split.
Next time I need to check at 30 min, I thought 2 hours was long, but HOLY COW not that long?!?!!?
I usually do the same with my chickpeas for hummus but dont pay much attention to splitting since they get mulched anyway... but I'm pretty sure after a half hour they dont look this bad.
Thanks.
:)

Just add them to the chili right before you take it off the stove, just enough to get the beans hot again. They may be soft, but still perfectly fine.

:) Wow! I wish beans cooked as fast after soaking as you guys can, up here at this elevation 7500 ft they take much longer which is why I use a crockpot at 9500 to 10,000 it takes even longer.

I go with Vera and Uncle Bob, add them just before serving, so that they heat through and take on a little of the flavour.

When using dry beans, you have to bring them to the boil for a short period to destroy the natural toxins in the beans. So I would soak them, do the boiling stage and them maybe par cook them before adding to the chilli.

Or leave them out. Mash them up and make some kind of dip out of them. My last two chilis didn't have beans and I didn't miss them.

Whenever I've done the "quick-cook" for dry beans I've always covered them with at least 2" of water & brought them to a boil, boiled for 2 minutes, let stand for an hour, drain & cover with fresh water (or stock &/or seasonings), bring to a boil again, reduce to a simmer & cook for about an hour, testing every 20 minutes or so for appropriate tenderness.

As others have said, it really depends on the size & age of the beans.

Old thread bump anyone???

I'm going to try dried beans again tomorrow..... kidney, with a crock pot red beans and rice.

HELP!!!
Soak? Precook?
They will be in the crock about 4 hours on high.... I think, I can't remember what I did last time....

SO I'll be adding a can or 2 of beans to my grocery list today.
:(
Thanks!!!!

Suz, I just made black beans(dried) in the crock yesturday, I didnt soak them at all, just threw them in with enough water to cover, on high for about 4 hours, or low for 6, I've done it with kidney beans as well!! HTH

Just add them to the chili right before you take it off the stove, just enough to get the beans hot again. They may be soft, but still perfectly fine.

+2.

However, two hours seems excessive for the cooking time. Even if they're "old,," seems 1 hour would have been enough.

Back
Top Bottom