"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 06-29-2008, 02:53 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

One pot shrimp & rice dish. Will this work?

I have some precooked shrimp I want to use up. I was thinking of sauteing them quickly in EVOO with some onions, cut green beans, garlic and lots of cajun seasoning. Then I was going to add equal parts of chicken broth and minute rice, bring it up to a boil, take it off the heat and cover it til the rice is cooked. Then turn the heat back on and kind of fry the rice, maybe add some more oil or some butter..... I figure the beans will still need some more time anyway.

What are your thoughts on this? Think it will work for a one pot concoction/meal? Maybe start with the beans first (and of course the garlic last). I could add other spices, but I'm really looking for a cajun spice flavored dish.

Old 06-29-2008, 03:25 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
First, rice always fries better after it is cold but you still have a doable idea.

Secondly, once you saute the shrimp I would remove them then add them at the end, after the rice is cooked. Otherwise your shrimp will be way overcooked.

Do you have any green peppers? That would be good too. If not, no big deal.

Yes, it sounds great - just don't keep the shrimp in the pot while cooking the rice.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 03:47 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks. Good point about the shrimp overcooking. The rice should pick up enough flavor without keeping the shrimp in the whole time.

And sadly, the only thing I have in the way of produce right now are the green beans.... I'll keep you posted.
Old 06-29-2008, 03:55 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I endorse 100% what Vicky said. You don't want little rubber shrimp nuggets. Sounds like a tasty meal.
Old 06-29-2008, 04:04 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis
I have some precooked shrimp I want to use up
Par-boil your beans a few minutes. Then Saute them along with your onions, garlic, and seasonings. (A little bell pepper and celery would be nice if you had it) Add your rice, chicken stock, and cook per the instructions. Remove from the heat and fluff. Add the precooked shrimp. let it sit for a few minutes to heat the shrimp...Serve with a little extra seasoning sprinkled on top...

Have Fun!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 04:05 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Also - I've got to get you cooking regular rice and not minute rice - world of difference and so very easy to do! There, I said it!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 04:55 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Kitchenelf is right - it's time to graduate to rice for grown-ups. I was scared of it too but it was easy for me with the right pan. I use a large, shallow pan with a tight-fitting glass lid so I can see how it's going without lifting the lids. Also, use a timer at first and go by the time listed on the package for whatever type of rice you choose.
Old 06-29-2008, 04:57 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

A tip - rather than use another pot for parboiling, I put veggies that need it in a glass measuring cup with a couple tsps. of water, then microwave for a couple of minutes. Much quicker.
Old 06-29-2008, 05:03 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
Kitchenelf is right - it's time to graduate to rice for grown-ups. I was scared of it too but it was easy for me with the right pan. I use a large, shallow pan with a tight-fitting glass lid so I can see how it's going without lifting the lids. Also, use a timer at first and go by the time listed on the package for whatever type of rice you choose.
Or, you could cook it in the microwave, like I do. When it's done, the microwave shuts off and it just sits there, keeping warm and waiting till you need it. No overcooking or burning the bottom of the pot.
Old 06-29-2008, 05:07 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
Also - I've got to get you cooking regular rice and not minute rice - world of difference and so very easy to do! There, I said it!
Yeah.... but then I'd have to get a rice steamer and have sticky rice problems and everything else..... whatever that is

Seriously, I've asked a couple times in rice oriented threads what the difference was. Never got a reply. So, what's the difference? Is it better for you or anything? Absorb butter more easily so you don't need 1/4 stick to get flavor? Can you add it to a; pork chop in mushroom soup & milk recipe and it will cook along with the rest of the ingredients like minute rice does? Minute rice is just so dang handy

Thanks Katie and Bob. I usually don't do anything with shrimp except wrap them up in something and grill them. I'm looking forward to this for a change. And I'll add an extra sprinkling of spice on top when I'm done, UB

Tags
None