Orzo - what do YOU make with it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cook the orzo until it's almost done and drain.

Add to the orzo some evoo, petso, parmesan and about 3/4c broth to a baking dish. Cover with foil and bake for about 30 minutes @ 350.

Can add just about anything to this. Zucchini, asparagus, roasted peppers, hot Italian sausage and/or broccoli are all good. If I'm adding any extras I saute them until nearly done before adding to the pasta and baking.

I also like to to use orzo for pasta salads.

Pork Medallions quickly sauteed, held warm while you make a pan sauce with evoo, garlic, apricot jam, and ruby port( salt/pepper goes without saying)! Cook the pan sauce until thickened, add the pork tenderloin medallions back to warm through and serve with lightly buttered orzo. Add a salad , some crisp bread, wine and sit back and enjoy!

Another option to consider is to brown your orzo in the oven to a rich medium brown. Then proceed with your recipe. The browning gives the orzo a very different favor that you will like.

agreed, andy. nice and toasty.

sort of along the lines of what mofet mentioned with the roni.

agreed, andy. nice and toasty.

sort of along the lines of what mofet mentioned with the roni.

When I make pilaf, my secret to success is to brown the pasta in butter until they both are medium to dark brown before adding rice and broth. The rich nutty flavor that step adds is amazing.

I also do that browning step when preparing buttered egg noodles.

I cook my orzo in chicken broth then add sauteed mushrooms,onions,garlic then mix all to gather with a good size piece of butter.top with parm serve with roasted chicken or roast beef veeggie green salad.
kadesma

Browning orzo first.. oh yum.. gotta try that !!!

I didn't think this thread would explode ! Who knew so many people love orzo!!!

I toss it with sauteed garlic, red bell pepper, black olives, low sodium chicken broth, herbs, spices, etc., then mix in some goat cheese until melted.

Even though it's an old topic/thread, glad it was bumped up for folks looking for orzo ideas.

(Greek) Stuffed peppers with orzo, ground lamb or beef, sun-dried tomatoes, feta & Greek seasonings.

Orzo salad w/ artichokes, tomatoes, feta cheese & (red wine) vinaigrette dressing.

Greek-style meatballs (w/lemon zest/lemon sauce) served over orzo.

(Greek) Meatball soup w/ orzo & vegetables of choice.

Orzo stuffed tomatoes.

Leftover orzo might be interesting in Arancini.

Last edited:
(I posted this on tonight's dinner thread but thought I'd leave it here too for safe keeping)

I was inspired by the bump back of the Orzo thread tonight. Here's what I did..
1 cup of orzo cooked with two cups of water, along with a packet of Good Seasons Italian dressing mix, 2 tbs. olive oil, and 2 tbs. white wine vinegar.
It was simmered on the lowest setting of the burner for 15 min. and turned onto a sheet pan to chill in the fridge. The flavor of the orzo was wonderful! When it was chilled I turned it into a bowl and added fresh chopped parsley, basil, and chives along with some marinated artichoke hearts. On each plate I mounded the glorified orzo, topped with chilled cooked shrimp, some grated Italian cheeses and surrounded it with home grown tomato wedges. Then the whole thing was topped with a simple vinaigrette of white balsamic and extra virgin olive oil.
A real winner, if I do say so myself. :D

wol_error.gif
Click this bar to view the small image.
attachment.php

Glad this thread was bumped up, too....I love orzo salad.

Kayelle, not sure why I can't view the picture, I just get a red X in a box....but it sounds really good! I also love artichoke hearts in my orzo salad, just made one last week. I like to add some of the liquid from the jar of marinated artichoke hearts, just to add a little more artichokey goodness. :)

I add cucumbers, sundried tomatoes in olive oil, black olives, feta cheese, a little oregano, and lemon juice. Now I want orzo salad again. :yum:

Back
Top Bottom