Pappardelle with wild boar sauce - directly from Tuscany!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Michele, I know you posted this recipe many months ago, but I just saw it today. It sounds very delicious!
More importantly, your english is fantastic!!!

Too kind! Indeed, I love this forum because conjugate some of my major passions: contact persons of other cultures, cooking and learn english. So, your compliments are twice welcome!

And many thanks to those that tried and appreciate this recipe!

Ciao, Michele

Ps. Sorry for the delay of my replies, but my son Anna (7 months today...) dry up the best part of me...

Hi Michele

Thanks for the great-looking recipe. I was confused about the vegetables - you use them twice in the recipe, but only list them once in the ingredients. Should I use half of the ingredients the first time, then half the second time? Or should I brown the previously marinated vegetables (which doesn't seem right to me) ?

Thanks, Jim

Hi to everyone!

I'm a new member of the forum, I'm italian and I live in Pisa, Tuscany.

I believe that the better way to present me is to share with you one of my favourite recipes, "pappardelle al cinghiale" (pappardelle with wild boar sauce). Pappardelle is like tagliatelle, but larger twice.

This pasta sauce is very popular to the italians that live in the centre of Italy. My mom, that lives in a smart village between Rome and Perugia,
teached me this recipe when i was a kid, and I remember many past
launches, under the shadow of my country-house cypress trees,
in which this dish was welcomed by ovations.
It is a robust dish, so I think it will be perfect for this season or for Eastern.

NB: The recipe is not difficult, but it is a bit boring, and will busy at least half-day (plus the time needed for the marinade).

Ingredients for pappardelle for 4 persons:
2 onion
2 carrot
2 celery stem
1 clove
sage, rosemary

1/2 kg of wild boar
1/2 liter of chicken broth
100 gr of sift tomato sauce
about 1 bottle (750ml) of red wine

400 gr of pappardelle

40 gr of butter
4 soupspoon of EVOO
salt, pepper and hot pepper

Let's prepare the marinade: break your meat in a big mixing bowl, put in it the onion, the carrot and the celery all breaked up, a (1) clove, sage, rosemary, salt, pepper and hot pepper and submerge all with a sufficient quantity of red wine.
The meat should be in the marinade for at least 8 hour, I prefer do this operation saturday after dinner to have the meat ready for the following sunday morning. Once the marinade is ready, discard all but the meat. Mince it.

Heat up the chicken broth. Meanwhile, in a large pan, put EVOO, butter, hot pepper and onion, carrot and celery thinly sliced.
Once they colored, put the minced meat, let color it for about 10-20 minutes, and put some red wine. Let evaporate for three minutes.
Add the warmed broth to the meal, adjust salt, pepper, set the fire to the minimum, and let cook quasi-covered for at least 1 hour and 1/2.

If you set the temperature correctly, you should have about no more broth
in the pan (otherwise, uncover the pan, increase the fire and let evaporate as needed). In case your meat dry out too fastly, reduce the fire and add other broth.

Now put the tomato sauce, and let cook again slowly for about 30 mins.

The sauce is ready! Now you can dress you favourite pappardelle (or any long, egg-based pasta) with the sauce and a generous amount of parmesan cheese.

That's all!

Bye, Michele

Back
Top Bottom