"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 04-29-2008, 10:53 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Hi M,
I sure miss Italia. Lived in Livorno for two years. Loved eating in many trattorias, including the one across from the main gate of Campodarby. That establishment was owned by Mr. Tomasini who was a motor pool mechanic at Campodarby. I was enough of a regular to have my own knapkin envelope. Eating a bowl full of baby eels was quite a novel experience for me.
Ciao- Bill

Old 07-30-2008, 12:25 AM   #12
Assistant Cook

Ciao Michele -
I have made your Mama's recipe 3 times now and it has been a big hit - everyone loves it. For those looking for wild boar - you can buy it on line from ranches in Texas. Luckily I have a friend who hunts wild boar himself in Texas.

Michele, a question - one of the ingredients is a clove. Do you mean a clove such as a little tiny black thing that comes in a spice can, or do you mean a clove of garlic? I have added a clove (the spice) to the marinade, and I have also added several cloves of garlic, and both have turned out well. Thanks for your clarification - Sue

Old 08-14-2008, 04:03 AM   #13
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueNelson View Post
Ciao Michele -
I have made your Mama's recipe 3 times now and it has been a big hit - everyone loves it. For those looking for wild boar - you can buy it on line from ranches in Texas. Luckily I have a friend who hunts wild boar himself in Texas.

Michele, a question - one of the ingredients is a clove. Do you mean a clove such as a little tiny black thing that comes in a spice can, or do you mean a clove of garlic? I have added a clove (the spice) to the marinade, and I have also added several cloves of garlic, and both have turned out well. Thanks for your clarification - Sue
Hi SueNelson,
what I mean is the spice, but warning! Put only one (1) clove, or the sauce will be too spicy!

Buon appetito, Michele
Old 08-14-2008, 06:58 AM   #14
Master Chef

Welcome to DC, Michele.....my outlaws (oops I mean inlaws are big boar hunters and love pasta) yes, of course, they are from TX........I will send this recipe onto them.....Thanks and look forward to other recipes from central Italy......
Old 08-14-2008, 08:55 AM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicheleFromPisa View Post
Hi SueNelson,
what I mean is the spice, but warning! Put only one (1) clove, or the sauce will be too spicy!

Buon appetito, Michele
I have used whole cloves in my meat sauce for pasta for years. I usually put in about 5 or 6 cloves and I don't ever remember the sauce being spicy. But then I always use hot red pepper flakes too. You really can't taste the cloves you just taste an interesting depth of flavor. One clove wouldn't do a thing for me. BTW, Papparedelle is my favorite pasta but it's hard to find unless I go to an Italian specialty market.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:42 AM   #16
Master Chef

well is papparedelle as big as big as lasagna noodles or smaller.....how wide would you say they are and how long?
Old 08-14-2008, 10:16 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
expat - the pappardelle pasta is somewhere between 1/2" - 1" wide. Not near as wide as lasagna. Hope that helps.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 12:21 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Welcome to DC. I thought I already did that but now don't see my post. Ghosts is all I can say.

I won't be making papparedelle anytime soon. I bite bullets when trying to make homemade pasta. I should be fired from the kitchen. But I can always just buy it already made, now that's the ticket.

This recipe looks wonderful. Thanks for posting. I am also leaning toward pork something.

Husband ate wild boar much while we were in Italy, mostly ate it in Tuscany and had it in Lucca or is it Luca?
Which is maybe still considered Tuscany. Oh the memories, just thinking about it makes me want to return to the beauty the food the places to see the wonderful people, simply loved it. Now I'd better get my ingredients for this dish.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:33 PM   #19
Hospitality Queen

Michele, I know you posted this recipe many months ago, but I just saw it today. It sounds very delicious!
More importantly, your english is fantastic!!!
Old 08-14-2008, 09:09 PM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
expat - the pappardelle pasta is somewhere between 1/2" - 1" wide. Not near as wide as lasagna. Hope that helps.
Thanks for the info.......kitchenelf.....you're always to be counted on.....will have to look for it at Whole Foods the next time I'm home..... I'll be using a pork tenderloin and not a wild boar more than likely...Thanks again!!

Tags
None