"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 03-01-2008, 03:28 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Thumbs up Pappardelle with wild boar sauce - directly from Tuscany!

Hi to everyone!

I'm a new member of the forum, I'm italian and I live in Pisa, Tuscany.

I believe that the better way to present me is to share with you one of my favourite recipes, "pappardelle al cinghiale" (pappardelle with wild boar sauce). Pappardelle is like tagliatelle, but larger twice.

This pasta sauce is very popular to the italians that live in the centre of Italy. My mom, that lives in a smart village between Rome and Perugia,
teached me this recipe when i was a kid, and I remember many past
launches, under the shadow of my country-house cypress trees,
in which this dish was welcomed by ovations.
It is a robust dish, so I think it will be perfect for this season or for Eastern.

NB: The recipe is not difficult, but it is a bit boring, and will busy at least half-day (plus the time needed for the marinade).

Ingredients for pappardelle for 4 persons:
2 onion
2 carrot
2 celery stem
1 clove
sage, rosemary

1/2 kg of wild boar
1/2 liter of chicken broth
100 gr of sift tomato sauce
about 1 bottle (750ml) of red wine

400 gr of pappardelle

40 gr of butter
4 soupspoon of EVOO
salt, pepper and hot pepper

Let's prepare the marinade: break your meat in a big mixing bowl, put in it the onion, the carrot and the celery all breaked up, a (1) clove, sage, rosemary, salt, pepper and hot pepper and submerge all with a sufficient quantity of red wine.
The meat should be in the marinade for at least 8 hour, I prefer do this operation saturday after dinner to have the meat ready for the following sunday morning. Once the marinade is ready, discard all but the meat. Mince it.

Heat up the chicken broth. Meanwhile, in a large pan, put EVOO, butter, hot pepper and onion, carrot and celery thinly sliced.
Once they colored, put the minced meat, let color it for about 10-20 minutes, and put some red wine. Let evaporate for three minutes.
Add the warmed broth to the meal, adjust salt, pepper, set the fire to the minimum, and let cook quasi-covered for at least 1 hour and 1/2.

If you set the temperature correctly, you should have about no more broth
in the pan (otherwise, uncover the pan, increase the fire and let evaporate as needed). In case your meat dry out too fastly, reduce the fire and add other broth.

Now put the tomato sauce, and let cook again slowly for about 30 mins.

The sauce is ready! Now you can dress you favourite pappardelle (or any long, egg-based pasta) with the sauce and a generous amount of parmesan cheese.

That's all!

Bye, Michele

Old 03-01-2008, 03:37 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Welcome to DC!!

Old 03-01-2008, 08:36 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

welcome, michele.

grazie for the recipe. it looks delicious.

what else could i use instead of wild boar? i'm leaning towards using pork shoulder, or maybe a mix of beef and pork.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 12:00 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
what else could i use instead of wild boar? i'm leaning towards using pork shoulder, or maybe a mix of beef and pork.
Wild boar, like other game foods, as hares or wild rabbits (that are cooked in the same way), due to its complex and rich flavour, needs special and complex recipes in order to cook it.

However, you can substitute it with every meat you prefer (now I remember that one day my mom used chicken): the recipe will exalts the flavour of your meat, and surely will give you many pleasures!

Bye, M
Old 03-01-2008, 12:05 PM   #5
Chief Eating Officer

Welcome to DC and thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe. I have never been fortunate enough to be able to get wild boar, but if I ever am able to get it then I will certainly think of this recipe.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:16 PM   #6
Master Chef

welcome to the forum. Interesting recipe, thanks for sharing.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:04 PM   #7
Head Chef

Hi Michelle, welcome to DC! I am looking for a pasta sauce recipe using quail. I would appreciate it very much if you can share it if you have it. Thank you!
Old 03-02-2008, 02:19 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopstix View Post
Hi Michelle, welcome to DC! I am looking for a pasta sauce recipe using quail. I would appreciate it very much if you can share it if you have it. Thank you!
I've just started a new thread in this forum with the recipe for you.

Ciao, Michele
Old 04-28-2008, 10:43 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

Hello Michele di Pisa. My wife and I just went to a restaurant to celebrate our anniversary and we both happened to order Pappardelle with wild boar. Since we really enjoyed the dish, I went on the net in search of recipes so I could try to replicate the dish and enjoy it at home. This is how I stumbled on yours. I will definitely try it soon.
I'm an italian residing in the USA. In Italia ho sentito parlare di questo piatto ma non ho mai avuto l'opportunita' di assaggiarlo. Grazie della ricetta e certamente ti terro' informato. JP.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:31 AM   #10
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPcook View Post
Hello Michele di Pisa. My wife and I just went to a restaurant to celebrate our anniversary and we both happened to order Pappardelle with wild boar. Since we really enjoyed the dish, I went on the net in search of recipes so I could try to replicate the dish and enjoy it at home. This is how I stumbled on yours. I will definitely try it soon.
I'm an italian residing in the USA. In Italia ho sentito parlare di questo piatto ma non ho mai avuto l'opportunita' di assaggiarlo. Grazie della ricetta e certamente ti terro' informato. JP.
I'll wait for your comments!

Ciao, Michele

Tags
None