Pasta - Al Dente

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Barilla is my hands-down favorite dried pasta. I like it much better than De Cecco, as I've found De Cecco goes from "al dente" texture to glue in nanoseconds. I seem to have more of a margin for error with Barilla.

I always use more water than I think I need or than the package advises, & I start tasting for texture about 4 minutes before it's "supposed" to be done. I then drain in a colander - NO RINSING - & toss a bit in the colander to keep strands from sticking.

I then add a little extra-virgin olive oil to the pasta pot & add the drained pasta back in & toss. Since I prefer the Italian way of not using a lot of sauce to drown the pasta, I then add in my sauce (which has been made in another pan) a little at a time, tossing all the while, until the pasta is dressed (just like a salad) the way I want it to.

I really appreciate all your posts on the subject. But to me they are a bit chaotic, so if anyone would please like make a recipe on how to cook spaghetti al dente, I hope that you understand what I am asking for.

There isn't a recipe - the METHOD is: Cook spaghetti in lots of boiling water, until it is still has a little bite.

I would prefer a better answer, I do not think that answers like that belong here.

So come on please do better than this!

look back to my first response to this thread, reply #5. I tried to explain the procedure as simply as possible.

RDG pointed out 1 litre of water to every 100g of pasta is too much water, and it may be true if you are cooking for many people. (I usually cook for 2 of us and go by this method)
The important thing is that you need to use enough water so the pasta can freely swim around inside, instead of getting all bunched up and stuck all together.

If you are the type who needs EXACT direction to follow to make something, unfortunately there will be no satisfying answer. Pastas are different, depending on shapes, brands etc., you just need to test the texture a few minutes before the given time and decide for yourself.
Practice is the best way to learn to boil a perfect pasta.

lo2 said:
I would prefer a better answer, I do not think that answers like that belong here.

You have managed to get lots of people to reply to your thread. They have all given similar information. You obviously feel this is not enough. Do you wish one of us to get on a plane, fly to your home and SHOW you? :chef:

lo2 said:

Let me try and sum up what the others have said so well.
You need 100 - 125 gms spaghetti per person. You will usually find the recommended cooking time on the side of the packet, so if it says: "8 minutes", you need to time it for exactly 8 minutes.
Buy good quality pasta: Barilla, Di Cecco, Agnesi are all very good.
Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil.I usually put a lid on the water and salt it generously. You need at least 1lt of water for 100 gms pasta.
Add your spaghetti to the boiling water, bring back to the boil ( it should take seconds!) and start your timer. 8 minutes.
After 6-7 minutes, pull a piece of pasta out of the water. Bite it. It should be slightly resistant to the bite.By the time you've done this, your 8 minutes will be up, so take the pan off the cooker, drain it in a colander, and put it into your serving dish. Serve with your favourite sauce and sprinkle some parmigiano reggiano ( parmesan cheese) on top.

There - there's nothing clearer than that!
It seems to me you might just be doing this for the first time, in which case (as with all cooking) don't panic and don't be afraid. It'll work just fine.
After you've made spaghetti "al dente" two or three times, you'll realise that it's actually not at all difficult - but you have to keep an eye on what you're doing!

lo2 said:

I am not sure what exactly you are looking for. You have been given the correct answer a number of times in this thread. Why would you think the correct answer does not belong here?

I am not trying to be rude here. I just do not understand what you are looking for since you have already been given the answer.

Why do you not rinse your pasta after cooking it? I have been performing this faux pas for years because I watched my mother (who is no where even close to being Italian do it). I will certainly not do it from now on. So, please, why should you not rinse cooked pasta?

expatgirl said:
Why do you not rinse your pasta after cooking it? I have been performing this faux pas for years because I watched my mother (who is no where even close to being Italian do it). I will certainly not do it from now on. So, please, why should you not rinse cooked pasta?

The reason you shouldn't rinse the pasta is, when they get rinsed, all the starchy coating will be stripped away. This starchy coating is essential for them to bind themselves with the sauce/condiments to be added. Without them sauces will just slip right off the pasta, instead of clinging to them.
The pasta too sticky without rinsing? Which means you didn't cook them with enough water. As mentioned above, use enough boiling water so each strand/morsels of pasta can swim around freely inside.:chef:

Rinsing the pasta washes off the starch which is what helps the sauce stick to the noodles and adds body.

The same applies to oiling the pasta, or cooking the pasta with oil in it. THe only time to do either of these is if you're using the pasta in a cold dish.

cliveb said:
You need 100 - 125 gms spaghetti per person. You will usually find the recommended cooking time on the side of the packet, so if it says: "8 minutes", you need to time it for exactly 8 minutes.
Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil.I usually put a lid on the water and salt it generously. You need at least 1lt of water for 100 gms pasta.
Add your spaghetti to the boiling water, bring back to the boil ( it should take seconds!) and start your timer. 8 minutes.
After 6-7 minutes, pull a piece of pasta out of the water. Bite it. It should be slightly resistant to the bite.By the time you've done this, your 8 minutes will be up, so take the pan off the cooker, drain it in a colander, and put it into your serving dish. Serve with your favourite sauce and sprinkle some parmigiano reggiano ( parmesan cheese) on top.

It seems to me you might just be doing this for the first time, in which case (as with all cooking) don't panic and don't be afraid. It'll work just fine.
After you've made spaghetti "al dente" two or three times, you'll realise that it's actually not at all difficult - but you have to keep an eye on what you're doing!

Thank you for a superb answer. A great recipe on how to cook pasta 'al dente'.

cliveb said:

Thank you for a superb answer.

One fianl question on the subject.

When the Spaghetti has been added should it then be boiling rollingly?

First add the pasta only after the water is at a full roiling boil. Right after you add the pasta, the water's temp will drop. You need to get it back up to the same roiling boil. Don't lower the heat at all throughout the cooking process. Did that answer your question?

Might help to share with you a trick I use to make the pasta al dente. After I strain it the pasta, I immediately use my hairdryer (power HIGH air COOL) to stop the cooking by cooling the pasta down rapidly in the collander.

Back
Top Bottom