"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 07-14-2006, 08:33 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Pasta - Al Dente

I have just been to south Italy and eaten pasta, which down there is awesome. It is much better than back home here. Epspecially it is consistency it is like more hard than usual pasta. So therefore I would like to ask you if you know how to cook it in order to make it be like the Italians?

Old 07-14-2006, 08:37 AM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

If the pasta you have been making was softer than what you had in Italy then you would just want to cook yours for less time. Take it out of the water before you think you need to as it continues to cook for a little while once removed from the water.

Old 07-14-2006, 08:39 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

OK so there are not any special tricks or something? It is just a matter of how long you cook it?
Old 07-14-2006, 08:41 AM   #4
Chief Eating Officer

Yep that is all there is too it. Taste the pasta as it cooks. It will start out hard and get softer. It goes from Al Dente to "too soft" very quickly though so it will take some practice to get your timing right.
Old 07-14-2006, 08:43 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Make sure to use plenty of water to cook your pasta in, at least 1 litre to each 100g of dried pasta. Bring the water to a fast boil, add about 1tsp of salt, then add the pasta. When the water restart to boil, start timing, taste the pasta a little before the indicated time (i.e. if it says 10minute on the package, take out a small piece and check the consistency at about 8-9 minutes).
Drain the pasta immediately, toss with your choice of sauce/condiment and serve asap. (No need to rinse the pasta.)

If you cook the fresh pasta, not dry, it takes much less, when they float on to the surface they are ready. Scoop them out as they come up.

After you get used to it, you won't have to depend so much on the time, just check them after a while and go by how it tastes(feels to your teeth).
Old 07-14-2006, 09:10 AM   #6
Assistant Cook

Another question on Italian cooking is.

I was in Italy as said before. I must say that Italian food is nice, there is just one but which I would like you to answer. I was pretty sure that you would be able to get Spagehetti Bolognese on almost every Italian resturant but I found out that, that was not true, how come? Another thing is Tiramisu which were avaible at many places, but almost everytime as Ice Cream, why is that?

I hope that you can answer my questions, which I would very much like to be answered.
Old 07-14-2006, 09:27 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by lo2
I was pretty sure that you would be able to get Spagehetti Bolognese on almost every Italian resturant but I found out that, that was not true, how come? Another thing is Tiramisu which were avaible at many places, but almost everytime as Ice Cream, why is that?

I hope that you can answer my questions, which I would very much like to be answered.
"Italian restaurant" >>> are you talking about the restaurants/trattorie you went while you were in Italy?
Well, then it is pretty clear. Bolognese sauce, though it is one of the most famous spaghetti sauces that is known abroad, it is really a specialty originating from Bologna, Emilia Romagna(Northern part of the Italian peninsula). The word "Italian cuisine" is actually quite vague, as the local specialties have their own diverse colours and flavours depending on the region, therefore, while there would be some people who make similar sauces as Bolognese style, it may not be the predominant variation around the region you visited.

Tiramisu, also is a northern specialty, Piemontese in particular. Tiramisu flavoured ice cream is also popular (we see it often in Rome too, we made it ourselves as well). Probably under the hot summer weather, people find Tiramisu in the form of ice cream particularly attractive...
Old 07-14-2006, 09:52 AM   #8
Master Chef

For sure, eating in Italy is truly a revelation of how "Americanized" most Italian food served here is.

Also, keep in mind that the pasta you ate in Italy was made there and will taste different that most of the pastas you buy in American supermarkets. IMO, Barilla is a pretty good brand.
Old 07-14-2006, 09:57 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema
For sure, eating in Italy is truly a revelation of how "Americanized" most Italian food served here is.

Also, keep in mind that the pasta you ate in Italy was made there and will taste different that most of the pastas you buy in American supermarkets. IMO, Barilla is a pretty good brand.
Jenny, lo2 is Danish from Denmark
Old 07-14-2006, 10:01 AM   #10
Master Chef

lo2? what dat??

Tags
None