"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 03-11-2012, 12:02 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Margi, it would nice if you could share any recipes you might like which use castagne.

Old 03-11-2012, 12:04 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Eel´s eyes ... well well ... Brave gent you are ! En buena hora ! Congrats !

Speaking of cultural edibles, there are all types, including sheep or bull´s testicles, insects ( chapuleñas = fried crickets in Jalisco, Mexico ) and a variety of organ meats called Callos ( tripe ) in Spain ... the sea world of edibles is less gruesome for most, however, for some, baby octopus could be intimidating ...

Old 03-11-2012, 12:12 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Recipes for Chestnuts

I adore chestnuts however, they are not in Season here at moment. The chestnut season is autumn, October, November and December and winter months of January and February.

I love chestnut stuffing for Thanksgiving, which is an American tradition that we uphold here and share with our international friends and the gals and grandchildren ( 5 ).

If you wish, I could post some desserts using chestnuts and / or traditional Spanish lunches using ... commonly used in stuffings --- roast chicken or roast pork !

Let me know, what are you looking for exactly ?

Margi.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:21 PM   #14
Executive Chef

We have a bunch in the freezer that we harvested last October. We also use them for stuffing and for a tasty chocolate cake. Do not know if you've ever tasted the water in which chestnuts have been cooked - it's quite sweet. About the only thing that comes to mind that might have possibilities is a chestnut soup.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:30 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Chestnuts

Firstly, yes to answer your questions. I adore chestnuts, whether roasted on a street corner, in desserts, stuffings and jarred in their own heavenly slightly sweet juice ... The designation or origin in Spain is Ribera de Sacra, Ourense, Galicia, in the mountains overlooking the Sil River ...

In Italia, they are commonly used in dessert making especially in the north and in Sicilia.

In a hamlet of 20 people, called: Nogueira de Ramunín, Ourense, where I stayed at the renovated, reconstructed 10th century Benedictine Monastery Spa Hotel: PARADOR SAN ESTEVO ( www.parador.es ); this is a bilingual website English and Spanish ), this is chestnut country in Galicia, Spain ... I have had CHESTNUT ICECREAM ... to die for !

Do you have an ice cream maker ???

Margaux.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:51 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margi Cintrano View Post
Firstly, yes to answer your questions. I adore chestnuts, whether roasted on a street corner, in desserts, stuffings and jarred in their own heavenly slightly sweet juice ... The designation or origin in Spain is Ribera de Sacra, Ourense, Galicia, in the mountains overlooking the Sil River ...

In Italia, they are commonly used in dessert making especially in the north and in Sicilia.

In a hamlet of 20 people, called: Nogueira de Ramunín, Ourense, where I stayed at the renovated, reconstructed 10th century Benedictine Monastery Spa Hotel: PARADOR SAN ESTEVO ( www.parador.es ); this is a bilingual website English and Spanish ), this is chestnut country in Galicia, Spain ... I have had CHESTNUT ICECREAM ... to die for !

Do you have an ice cream maker ???

Margaux.
I made > 2 litre (10.5 cups) of ice cream yesterday. Thanks for the website.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:35 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Chestnut icecream ... Now that is what I would certainly prepare ... Of course, I would save some for a stuffing for roast chicken and a dessert too ... I have some recipes I have not translated yet, so let me see, if I can come up with something worthwhile. If I do, I shall post it ...

Have a nice Sunday.
Margi.
Old 03-11-2012, 03:53 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margi Cintrano View Post
Chestnut icecream ... Now that is what I would certainly prepare ... Of course, I would save some for a stuffing for roast chicken and a dessert too ... I have some recipes I have not translated yet, so let me see, if I can come up with something worthwhile. If I do, I shall post it ...

Have a nice Sunday.
Margi.
Per favore e grazie.
I've eaten quite a bit of tasty ice cream, but have consumed too much Cynar in Ladinia.

Tags
pasta