Pasta Brand Differences

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have tried whole wheat pastas, and once again, it was a texture issue that turned me off. For lack of a better description, whole wheat pastas feel "gritty" to me.

CD

I couldn't agree more.

The texture thing throws me off completely.

In addition, when I was on my " no/ low carbs diet" for a 3 month period, I tried every kinda of pasta made from every grain out there, and although some better than others, they were in no comparison to the pasta I was used to eating. I just couldn't enjoy the different consistencies ( and in some instances, the taste too ). I guess for some with certain health issues, its better than no pasta at all. But for pure enjoyment, the consistency just doesn't do it for me,

I couldn't agree more.

The texture thing throws me off completely.

In addition, when I was on my " no/ low carbs diet" for a 3 month period, I tried every kinda of pasta made from every grain out there, and although some better than others, they were in no comparison to the pasta I was used to eating. I just couldn't enjoy the different consistencies ( and in some instances, the taste too ). I guess for some with certain health issues, its better than no pasta at all. But for pure enjoyment, the consistency just doesn't do it for me,
I also agree. I don't care for the texture or flavor of the "grain" pastas including wheat and rice etc.
I do however enjoy the flavor and texture of the Barilla veggie pasta.

My usual favorite brand of pasta is "On Sale". :D

As far as white vs whole wheat, we've noticed a big improvement over the years. When we moved to MA in 2000, it was our first encounter with a Trader Joe's store. When I spied their whole wheat pasta, I figured it would be better for us so I bought a package. Blech! Grainy, flavored like cardboard, terrible. While I fixed regular pasta for Himself, I tried to finish the rest of the package. Just. Couldn't. Do. It.

Fast-forward to more current times. Now that whole wheat pasta has gone mainstream, it seems like what is on the market has a more appealing texture and flavor. Either that, or our taste buds just don't care anymore. :LOL: But as of right now I usually buy the whole wheat version when that particular shape offers it.

We switched over to whole grain pasta, mostly wheat. Some cooks up slower than white pasta and some cooks up a lot slower than white pasta. We've been enjoying the texture and it's twice the fiber. DH and I have both lost weight with whole grain products (today 41 lbs combined).

when I first tried whole wheat pasta, just like when I first tried whole wheat bread, I didnt carre for it. But as I continued to eat it, as whith whole wheat bread, the richer flavor and textures made it preferable to me. Semolina pasta became boring. You get used to it.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

when I first tried whole wheat pasta, just like when I first tried whole wheat bread, I didnt carre for it. But as I continued to eat it, as whith whole wheat bread, the richer flavor and textures made it preferable to me. Semolina pasta became boring. You get used to it.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Chief when I used to make my own pasta, I used two parts bread flour to one part semolina. It gave it strength as well as taste to the pasta.

I know, most recipes call for AP for home made pasta. But I always found the dough difficult to work with. It would fall apart on me. The bread flour made the difference. Definitely semolina flour no matter what type on flour you use. I found that it creates the authentic taste. One time I had run out of the semolina, and the kids noticed the difference and didn't want to eat it.

My daughter now cooks for just herself and her husband. When she got married, she asked for my recipe as soon as she returned from her honeymoon. I must have done something right. She married a native Italian. Fussy critter he is. But he told his bride the pasta was better than his mother's.

Back
Top Bottom