Pasta calories when dry - how to convert

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

legend_018

Head Chef
Some ziti I have says it's so many calories "say 200" for 3/4 cup dry. Why do they do that? Who eats it dry? How do I know how much that is once it's cooked. I'm on a diet and trying to watch my calories.

Assume the properly cooked pasta has the same calories. Any loss to the cooking water will be minor.

Some ziti I have says it's so many calories "say 200" for 3/4 cup dry. Why do they do that? Who eats it dry? How do I know how much that is once it's cooked. I'm on a diet and trying to watch my calories.

For portion control many weigh the pasta dry before cooking. The macaroni product container usually contains A. servings per container, B. calories per serving and C. net weight:

C / A = D [ounces(dry) per serving]
B / D = calories per dry ounce

And today's kids say arithmetic is boring and not applicable to their lifestyle?:rolleyes:

They give you the calories for dry pasta because it is dry in the bag or box and that is how you’re going to measure it out to cook it. When you cook 3/4 cup dry pasta, it will expand so that it takes up more room than 3/4 cup, but the amount of calories is the same (assuming you cooked it in plain water). The pasta swells with water but the calorie count remains the same as when you measure it dry.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom