"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 05-10-2006, 11:45 AM   #21
Senior Cook

Here is one of Tyler Florence's Italian classics.

SPAGHETTI ALLA CARBONARA
TYLER FLORENCE

1 pound dry spaghetti
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
4 ounces pancetta or slab bacon, cubed or sliced into small strips
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 large eggs
1 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, plus more for serving
Freshly ground black pepper
1 handful fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
Prepare the sauce while the pasta is cooking to ensure that the spaghetti will be hot
and ready when the sauce is finished; it is very important that the pasta is hot when
adding the egg mixture, so that the heat of the pasta cooks the raw eggs in the sauce.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, add the pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes
or until tender yet firm (as they say in Italian "al dente.") Drain the pasta well,
reserving 1/2 cup of the starchy cooking water to use in the sauce if you wish.
Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a deep skillet over medium flame. Add the pancetta
and saute for about 3 minutes, until the bacon is crisp and the fat is rendered.
Toss the garlic into the fat and saute for less than 1 minute to soften.
Add the hot, drained spaghetti to the pan and toss for 2 minutes to coat the strands
in the bacon fat. Beat the eggs and Parmesan together in a mixing bowl, stirring well
to prevent lumps. Remove the pan from the heat and pour the egg/cheese mixture into
the pasta, whisking quickly until the eggs thicken, but do not scramble (this is done
off the heat to ensure this does not happen.) Thin out the sauce with a bit of the
reserved pasta water, until it reaches desired consistency. Season the carbonara with
several turns of freshly ground black pepper and taste for salt.
Mound the spaghetti carbonara into warm serving bowls and garnish with chopped parsley.
Pass more cheese around the table.

It sound very straight forward and simple to me.

Old 05-10-2006, 11:48 AM   #22
Senior Cook

SPAGHETTI ALLA CARBONARA
TYLER FLORENCE
1 pound dry spaghetti
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
4 ounces pancetta or slab bacon, cubed or sliced into small strips
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 large eggs
1 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, plus more for serving
Freshly ground black pepper
1 handful fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
Prepare the sauce while the pasta is cooking to ensure that the spaghetti will be hot
and ready when the sauce is finished; it is very important that the pasta is hot when
adding the egg mixture, so that the heat of the pasta cooks the raw eggs in the sauce.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, add the pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes
or until tender yet firm (as they say in Italian "al dente.") Drain the pasta well,
reserving 1/2 cup of the starchy cooking water to use in the sauce if you wish.
Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a deep skillet over medium flame. Add the pancetta
and saute for about 3 minutes, until the bacon is crisp and the fat is rendered.
Toss the garlic into the fat and saute for less than 1 minute to soften.
Add the hot, drained spaghetti to the pan and toss for 2 minutes to coat the strands
in the bacon fat. Beat the eggs and Parmesan together in a mixing bowl, stirring well
to prevent lumps. Remove the pan from the heat and pour the egg/cheese mixture into
the pasta, whisking quickly until the eggs thicken, but do not scramble (this is done
off the heat to ensure this does not happen.) Thin out the sauce with a bit of the
reserved pasta water, until it reaches desired consistency. Season the carbonara with
several turns of freshly ground black pepper and taste for salt.
Mound the spaghetti carbonara into warm serving bowls and garnish with chopped parsley.
Pass more cheese around the table.

Old 05-10-2006, 12:14 PM   #23
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDG
There's not a precise reason: lard taste is different. Try. They are both good: I too use oil when I have not lard at home.....
Pork fat rules!
Old 05-10-2006, 01:30 PM   #24
Executive Chef

Welcome to DC, matt.

Not sure where to reply as there are two threads going re same. There are excellent suggestions/feedback in both threads.

The recipe you posted for carbonara, in my experience, does not include cream/half-n-half. Re the eggs - Scramble the entire egg - not the yolks, & add the salt and pepper to the scrambled eggs. I use salt & pepper to taste. You can add gobs of pepper on the finished dish - but IMO it takes away from the flavors. I always use evoo, not lard, but that's my preference, and have always seen the 'classic' recipe using evoo. Mushrooms or peas can be added, if you wish. But in answer to your other post for a classic recipe - first stick with the basics if it's your first attempt.

Re Tyler's recipe, I like most everything he does, but, bev you might want to provide a link to Food Network's recipes' site re copyright laws.

Use fresh Italian flat leaf parsley - not dried parsley flakes, freshly grated parm. & freshly grated black pepper - not to excess. One of the keys to this dish, imo, is fresh ingredients, and, yes, raw whole eggs.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:34 PM   #25
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
. . . and I agree with RDG. Peccorino would be a great addition instead of parmesan. Peccorino made from sheeps milk and has a different flavor than parmesan and romano.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:45 PM   #26
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis
To add to the story of pasta carbonara style I have also heard (if I remember correctly) that it originated from Italian coal miners as it was a very quick and easy dish to cook using very few ingredients and the large amounts of black pepper that was used looks like the dust or flecks of coal (or something along those lines).
This is also the story behind "Spaghetti alla carbonara" that I have heard. Although "carbonara" is widely known as one of the most famous Roman specialties, the coal miners in question here were from actually Umbria. However Umbria is just north of Lazio province (where Rome is) and probably there were lots of Romans working there, too, then brought back the recipe to their home and made it famous.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:37 PM   #27
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mish
Scramble the entire egg - not the yolks, & add the salt and pepper to the scrambled eggs.
why would you scramble the eggs?
Old 05-10-2006, 02:45 PM   #28
Master Chef

Don't worry Thumper - I'm with you.

This dish has never been one of my favorites no matter how it's made, because I positively cannot choke down undercooked eggs. Not because I'm afraid of bacteria (although that IS a real risk these days), but because unless eggs are cooked to hockey puck consistency I gag on them. This is also why I don't do a traditional Caesar Salad. No "coddled eggs" for me thank you. I also can't eat raw oysters for the same reason - texture.

So if I made this recipe, it would definitely end up as pasta with heavily scrambled eggs - lol!!!!!
Old 05-10-2006, 06:15 PM   #29
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylegsbig
why would you scramble the eggs?
By scrambling the eggs I am sure that Mish means to whisk or beat the raw eggs together to combine, not actually cook them as scrambled eggs.

Oh and one of the best tips for a carbonara dish is to get your hands on some organic eggs. Since it is such a simple dish the ingredients must speak for themselves...and organic eggs speak much larger than rubbish cage eggs.

Oh and I noticed that only one recipe posted here recommends pancetta rather than bacon. While it's great with bacon, pancetta is just better in this dish.
Old 05-10-2006, 06:37 PM   #30
Everymom

Right on Haggis, pancetta is DEFINITELY yummy. Thanks for the reminder.

Tags
None