"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 04-01-2007, 05:57 AM   #11
Assistant Cook

i mean roll out thin (1 to 2mm)

Old 04-01-2007, 07:04 AM   #12
Head Chef

Look up "deep-fried pasta" in Google. Here's an example of deep-fried lasagna sheets.

Fresh Figs with Almond Mascarpone and Deep-fried Pasta Wedges Recipes at Cooking.com

If you do it, let us know what the texture was like? I imagine it to be gum-cuttingly sharp but I guess if that was the case, no-one would have bothered posting recipes on the Web.

Old 04-01-2007, 08:53 AM   #13
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
You could deep fry fresh pasta into chips, by making your own dough and then frying; that's the same as fried ravioli, etc. However, the method you described of bleding into a paste and then rolling it out won't work. The problem there is that you have dried dough bits bound together by the surface tension in the water, whereas dough is a homogenous mass, bound to itself. You need fresh pasta dough for this to even have chance of working.

You'd have to roll it out very thin, 1 to 2 mm as you said, and it wouldn't require a long fry, but as someone else mentioned, I think it would be "gum-cuttingly" sharp, and also not very tasty.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:05 AM   #14
Senior Cook

I've had deep fried won tons in Chinese restaurants and they're pretty much the same thing as pasta dough fried to a crisp. I don't particularly care for them myself but it can be done. Seems to me you can only do this with fresh pasta dough, not the dried pasta. Give it a shot, you might like it.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:36 PM   #15
Head Chef

I've seen it done will rotelli ... boil till just before ale dente (like 5 minutes), drain then fry. The friend who did it then tossed them into her chex mix (I think she got the idea from another bagged snack mix product actually). They were pretty crispy but good.

If you are looking for just flat chips, I would go with the won ton wrappers. You can cut them apart using your pizza wheel or a sharp knife, toss into hot oil (I fry ravioli at 380) for a few minutes (1 minute, flip, another minute, drain) but be careful! You'll need to watch them to be sure they don't burn. If you want a bigger square then a won ton will give you, try egg roll wrappers and cut them to the size you want.

Good Luck!
Old 04-02-2007, 06:39 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

Andrew, That's a brilliant idea. Why not add flavor to the pasta chips? I've always loved noodle snacks and so do my cousins.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:56 PM   #17
Senior Cook

PASTA CRISPS

SERVES 3 to 4
This is a nice change from potato chips or french fries. I happened to have leftover cooked bowties and decided to give it a try, but I would also make it from scratch.
INGREDIENTS
  • 3 cups cooked bowties (farfalle)
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Freshly grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
Preheat oven to 400 F. Place the noodles in a large bowl. Add the olive oil and toss to coat. Place on a baking sheet in one layer and bake until lightly crisp and golden, about 20 minutes, being careful not to let them get too hard. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:12 AM   #18
Head Chef

Hi Brianschef, can you describe what the texture's like? I'd be really interested to know.

Tags
None