Pasta dough kneading question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taxlady

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I have been making pasta off and on since the early 1970s, so I have a pretty good idea how to do it.

When I first made pasta, it was kneaded by hand and rolled out with a rolling pin. Eventually, I bought a pasta roller machine. I knead the dough by hand until it hangs together and then I knead it by rolling, folding, rolling repeatedly on the thickest setting. I do that until it feels right.

In the past week, I have twice heard of something I never heard of before - to knead the dough with a food processor before using the pasta roller. Is there any benefit to that? Sounds like an unnecessary complication and extra dish washing to me.

I've made "Processor noodles" from at least 1984 when we included in our family reunion cook book. Let it rest, roll out with a machine. My arthritis thanks me.

I've made "Processor noodles" from at least 1984 when we included in our family reunion cook book. Let it rest, roll out with a machine. My arthritis thanks me.
Does kneading it by cranking the roller bother your arthritis?

I also make them in my food processor, adding a couple tsp of oil to a 3 egg batch. Don't remember where I learned that, but it helps the dough come together better, once it goes through the rollers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I mix the dough in the FP, then give it a few hand kneads, flatten it into a disk, wrap with plastic wrap, then let it rest for at least 30 minutes. I usually divide the dough into 3 or 4 pieces, then run it through the first setting 3 or 4 times to get a fairly good rectangle and also to knead the dough a little more until it feels "right."

I also make them in my food processor, adding a couple tsp of oil to a 3 egg batch. Don't remember where I learned that, but it helps the dough come together better, once it goes through the rollers.

Do you add oil instead of water or in addition to water?

Do you add oil instead of water or in addition to water?
The oil is just in a small amount, in addition to the eggs. I don't add water, unless making lo mein. Using all eggs didn't seem right for lo mein, so I use water in place of half of the eggs, for liquid - about 2-2½ tb water, and one egg, to 1½ c flour, plus 2 tsp oil.

Back
Top Bottom