Pasta -- How much is enough? (serving)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Msmofet you confirmed the 2 oz serving size.

Mad Cook, around here we call people who eat seconds "weight challenged." Admittedly this varies depending on person. A gowning teenager could probably eat 4-5 oz of spaghetti and burn it up.

Growing up, my kids had their own dishes to eat from. They got pasta served In cereal bowls. Adults' food went on a dinner plate. As the kids grew, salad plates replaced the bowl. By the time they were teenagers, my boys could eat me out of house and home from dinner plates. And my first born (daughter) could out eat the both of them. I am sure if I cooked 1-1/2 pound of pasta of any shape or length, the family would have left the table with full tummies and empty plates. I tried to practice 'portion control.' Plus limiting the intake of carbs. Healthy kids, healthy appetites. Today, cooking for just myself, I use a salad plate and am lucky to get down two ounces. What I like about pasta is that it is so easy to cook. Crack open a jar of commercial gravy, a couple of spoonful's of it with a small pat of butter. I am a happy person and feel full. I restock my pasta about every three months.

Always salt the pasta water. No salt in the water and it is just too late after it is cooked. I can't think of any food that taste as bad or flat as unsalted pasta.
I can agree with that, Addie.

Unless someone has serious, medically diagnosed, salt issues, the amount of salt absorbed by pasta from the cooking water can't be much. I'm not a salt lover but even I find pasta cooked in unsalted water is pretty dire.

The packaging for the last lot of salt that I bought has a sell-by date (why - on salt?) of 2005, which shows how much salt I use! (A matter of taste not health)

Mad Cook, around here we call people who eat seconds "weight challenged." Admittedly this varies depending on person. A gowning teenager could probably eat 4-5 oz of spaghetti and burn it up.
And around here, "Greg Who Cooks", we call people who eat seconds "hungry"

Wow, you seem to have a high opinion of your opinion if you think you speak for others.:rolleyes: I often have seconds, eat as much pasta as I wish and still lose weight @59.:ROFLMAO:

Where is that "dead horse" emoji when you need it?:ermm:

I can agree with that, Addie.

Unless someone has serious, medically diagnosed, salt issues, the amount of salt absorbed by pasta from the cooking water can't be much. I'm not a salt lover but even I find pasta cooked in unsalted water is pretty dire.

The packaging for the last lot of salt that I bought has a sell-by date (why - on salt?) of 2005, which shows how much salt I use! (A matter of taste not health)

All pasta is, is a mixture of flour and water. With a smidgen of salt. There simply is not enough salt in the preparation of the pasta to alter the taste. I don't know one single person who enjoys eating cooked the paste of flour and water. Not unless they have no taste buds at all.

All pasta is, is a mixture of flour and water. With a smidgen of salt. There simply is not enough salt in the preparation of the pasta to alter the taste. I don't know one single person who enjoys eating cooked the paste of flour and water. Not unless they have no taste buds at all.

No Addie, all pasta is NOT just flour and water. Lots of people use eggs. Lots of people DON'T put salt in their pasta dough, they let it absorb from the very salty cooking water.

Around here, a lot of the organic milk is fine filtered, which also gives it a shelf life of about a month. I usually look for that one. It's not just the difference in flavour. If you try to make yogourt, quark, or cheese with UHT milk, the protein won't coagulate properly. The higher temperature affects the protein in that way.

And around here, "Greg Who Cooks", we call people who eat seconds "hungry"
You surround my username with quotes? You do know, I really do cook. It's not just a name that means nothing.

I eat what I cook. I cook what I eat. I measure to ensure that I eat a good diet, but not so much that I get fat or gain weight.

I recognize that those with growing teenagers need to feed the gawking bird open beaks with whatever it takes to feed the maw.

Last edited:
Is there really any difference between store brands of dried pasta (e.g. Kroger's) and imported name brands. I've not been able to taste the difference but I'm not Italian. To me the sauce covers any difference.

Is there really any difference between store brands of dried pasta (e.g. Kroger's) and imported name brands. I've not been able to taste the difference but I'm not Italian. To me the sauce covers any difference.
I buy wholewheat pasta. The organic Italian stuff is noticeably better than anything else I have tried. It's good enough that I usually munch some of it with no sauce.

I prefer Barilla over just about anything we've had, other than fresh homemade, especially bucctini.

I prefer Barilla over just about anything we've had, other than fresh homemade, especially bucctini.

I love Buccatini. My mother would always hit me on the back of my head so I would stop eating it like it was straws. "Stop playing with your food! Whack!"

We have a brand here made by Pastene. It is made in Italy and they send us all the ingredients you need for an authentic Italian meal. They are priced way out of my range. But when their tomatoes go on sale, folks will buy cases of them. I get two or three cans, if that.

Because of the large Italian community we have in Boston, there are all kinds of pasta imported. But for me, they are too expensive. And I don't see any difference in the imported items and those made in America. But then I do try to live by "Buy America."

Back
Top Bottom