Pasta Niçoise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mish

Washing Up
A refreshing summer pasta salad. I'm not wild about eggs (except maybe the yellow part of a hard boiled egg). You can add sliced hard boiled eggs, if you like or use the green bean of choice. This is the quick version.

Pasta Niçoise
6 servings

1/4 lb haricot verts, sliced diagonally into 1" pieces and lightly steamed
1/4 cup Nicoise or Kalamata olives
1/2 cup red onion, chopped
1/2 cup Italian flat leaf parsley, minced
1 Tbsp capers
cherry tomatoes, halved
1-2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 Tbsp olive oil
3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 Tbsp fresh oregano, minced
2 6 1/2-ounce cans water-packed tuna, drained and flaked (Grilled tuna is best)
1 pound tri-color rotini

Combine cooked haricot verts, olives, onion, parsley, capers and tomatoes in a large bowl. Combine garlic, olive oil, vinegar, mustard, and oregano in a small jar and shake well. Pour dressing over vegetables and toss well. Let marinate in refrigerator 1 hour.

Cook rotini, rinse and drain. Toss pasta with tuna and marinated vegetables.

Yum. Mish this sounds lovely. I think though that I might sub out the tuna and put in feta cheese instead. Think that would overpower some of the other flavours?

Alix said:
Yum. Mish this sounds lovely. I think though that I might sub out the tuna and put in feta cheese instead. Think that would overpower some of the other flavours?

Thanks Alix. It would sorta break with the traditional Nicoise salad, (So France, no?) & perhaps overpower the dish, (the capers are salty - sometimes people use anchovies - but I don't)...but that's what cooking is all about. Adding the things you like. Gonna go look up and try to post a Nicoise, was surprised I didn't see it here. It's sooo good. Hope you will give it a try with tuna and see how you like it.

From memory the Nicoise is tuna, green beans, hard boiled eggs, potatoes (I like the little red ones) in place of the pasta, capers or anchovies.

Last edited:
Mish, we've had so much rich food lately, I was just thinking this morning about tuna "something" for supper.
I believe this one fills the bill!

I really like anchovies, but I'm thinking that what with the tuna, olives and capers, they might make it a bit too salty. What do you think?

very nice, very true to the classic nicoise salad. It would be nice topped with a piece od seared rare tuna. We serve this salad at our smaller bistro style restaurant down the street

Back
Top Bottom