"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...
Old 02-09-2007, 08:24 AM   #11
Well people, I thank you for your input. Unfortunately I cannot indulge in alcohol due to the meds I am on.
I am not doing the atkins thing, as he is dead from heart complications of some sort, isn't he?
I have a carb restriction of 45g per meal, and 15g per snack (2/day). They found a fatty liver, and it takes my body 4x as long to regulate my glucose. My triglycerides were @ 540, then @ 320, which is still THE highest they can go. This lifestyle change is to live healthy. I am only 37, Found out diabetes runs in my family too. Had no earthly idea this was going on. I can have no bread, pasta, rice, brown beans, corn or potatoes, and have been living this way since thanksgiving, no less.
I found that since starting this venture, I cannot eat pasta, granola, or basically carb laden items like I used to. My stomach does not like those carbs I guess. But, I cannot live w/out SOME pasta.
This is the reason for my questions about low-carb pasta, and the technical questions as to what pasta should be made out of exactly...
But, I tell you, if I could stick my face into a bowl of fettucini alfredo w/ parmesan garlic bread...ohmigod....

yankeefaninseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 09:36 AM   #12
Senior Cook
In that case, it sounds like something like small portions of Barilla Plus may be your single best option, but I would consult with your doctor or nutritionist first.

Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 09:53 AM   #13
Master Chef
Okay - I've got a box of "Barilla Plus" Rotini pasta here in front of me.

Front of box says: "Enriched Multigrain Pasta, Good Source of Fiber and Protein, Contains ALA Omega-3".

Ingredients Panel says: Semolina, grain and legume flour blend (lentils, chickpeas, oats, spelt, barley, egg whites, ground flaxseed, and wheat fiber), durum flour, niacin, iron (ferrous sulfate), thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid.

The box is, of course, chock full of info, so if you want me to copy anything else, let me know. Barilla does have a website though in case you want specific info on their products - Barilla Pasta, Italian Recipes and Entertaining Ideas.

And like I said before, it's quite good. Doesn't have that heavy "wheaty" taste that whole wheat pastas do. Hope this helps you!
BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 11:47 AM   #14
yankeefaninseattle, long before Atkins became popular there was a book out called the Carbohydrate addicts Diet. I learned a lot about how we process carbohydrates from that book, and the diet it espouses is actually quite healthy. It does not eliminate carbs, just regulates when you have them so that you don't crave them quite so much. Give it a read and see if it helps you out at all.
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 08:09 AM   #15
I will definitely check out the Barilla plus pasta. Thanks for the link. And, I thank you all for your input. This is why I continue to come to this forum. I go back for blood test at the begin of March, so I'll keep you informed on my pasta search, and the results of this limited carb lifestyle. I'll also check into the carb addicts diet book. I am thinking that all the info I can get will be a big help in maintaining this lifestyle.

yankeefaninseattle is offline   Reply With Quote