"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-16-2012, 12:44 PM   #11
Senior Cook
 
zfranca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SARZANA, La Spezia
Posts: 227
Send a message via Skype™ to zfranca
You made ravioli for many years and now you are using a different filling and you are having problems. That indicates that you are obviously familiar with the cooking of ravioli so the problem should be in your new stuffing. When I make ravioli, I freeze them as quickly as I possibly can. It is possible that you make the ravioli and leave them out too long before you freeze them. Consequently the filling will moisten the egg pasta. You need to avoid this situation because when you boil the pasta that was weakened by the moisture, it will break open. Obviously your new stuffing is more "watery"than the meat stuffing. I hope this helps.
__________________

__________________
We are all angels with one wing. Only together we can fly.
www.cookingwithfranca.blogspot.com
zfranca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:06 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,015
Are you cooking the raviolis fresh as you make them, or are you freezing them to be cooked at a later date?
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:11 PM   #13
Master Chef
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 9,229
One more piece of advice; if you have sealed them correctly, and gotten all of the air out, and simmered them, and they still burst, then the filling is expanding, and breaking the seal. Make the sealed edges larger, so that the filling can expand into part of the sealed edges, and still have enough sealed edge to remain sealed. You may not need to use less filling per pillow, but rather, make the pillow larger, but with the same amount of filling, if you know what I mean.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:02 PM   #14
Master Chef
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 9,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by zfranca View Post
You made ravioli for many years and now you are using a different filling and you are having problems. That indicates that you are obviously familiar with the cooking of ravioli so the problem should be in your new stuffing. When I make ravioli, I freeze them as quickly as I possibly can. It is possible that you make the ravioli and leave them out too long before you freeze them. Consequently the filling will moisten the egg pasta. You need to avoid this situation because when you boil the pasta that was weakened by the moisture, it will break open. Obviously your new stuffing is more "watery"than the meat stuffing. I hope this helps.
I know nothing about cooking ravioli but I know you are a proven expert Franca!!
It's been too long, and it's so very nice to see you here again as I've always enjoyed your posts......
welcome back!!
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:04 PM   #15
Senior Cook
 
zfranca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SARZANA, La Spezia
Posts: 227
Send a message via Skype™ to zfranca
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I know nothing about cooking ravioli but I know you are a proven expert Franca!!
It's been too long, and it's so very nice to see you here again as I've always enjoyed your posts......
welcome back!!
Thank you Kayelle. I don't know how many thousand of ravioli I made during the twelve years of the restaurant life. At a certain point, the work-load became so intense that I had to hire a person just to keep up with the ravioli production. At the beginning of the training they all said the same thing, "I'll never get this." At the end, they all said the same thing, "it was not that difficult after all." Just keep practicing. It is a wonderful world the pasta world...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0916.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	14388  
__________________
We are all angels with one wing. Only together we can fly.
www.cookingwithfranca.blogspot.com
zfranca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:52 AM   #16
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastaqueen View Post
I have been making ravioli for years. The recipe is from my great grandmother. They are meat ravioli. I recently ventured out into making other kinds of fillings. I use the exact same dough recipe, which is perfect. Can anyone tell me why my ravioli break open (while being boiled) when I fill them with Ricotta based fillings, especially my Crab Ravioli!? Don't know what to do or why this is happening.
If I'm not mistaken the meat is already cooked when put into the pasta, so vary little expansion or oils or moisture is released in the boiling process. When the cheese becomes hot it releases oils, moisture and expands. Soulutions would be to freeze the pasta before you boil or you could try bringing the filling close to temp before sealing them in the pasta if you want to avoid freezing.
__________________
omegastorm13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:38 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastaqueen View Post
I have been making ravioli for years. The recipe is from my great grandmother. They are meat ravioli. I recently ventured out into making other kinds of fillings. I use the exact same dough recipe, which is perfect. Can anyone tell me why my ravioli break open (while being boiled) when I fill them with Ricotta based fillings, especially my Crab Ravioli!? Don't know what to do or why this is happening.
You need to remove some of the moisture from your ravioli. Drain you Ricotta in a cheesecloth overnight. You will be surprised how much liquid is in there. Your Ricotta should be dry. Then freeze them as soon as you make them.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:53 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire
 
kadesma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: california
Posts: 21,373
Make sure your rav's are still frozen when you cook them and the water is well salted and at a rapid boil.
kadesma
__________________
HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:39 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
Make sure your rav's are still frozen when you cook them and the water is well salted and at a rapid boil.
kadesma
Excellent advice. But once all your ravs are in the boiliing water, turn the heat down. Rapid boiling bruises the ravs and can still cause them to break open. Keep them on a fast simmer. As long as there are bubbles coming up from the water, whether fast or slow, the temp of the water remains the same. 212ºF.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:40 PM   #20
Senior Cook
 
zfranca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SARZANA, La Spezia
Posts: 227
Send a message via Skype™ to zfranca
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
Make sure your rav's are still frozen when you cook them and the water is well salted and at a rapid boil.
kadesma
GENTLE BOIL is more appropriate for cooking ravioli. Rapid boild could be the cause of the breaking of the pasta.
__________________

__________________
We are all angels with one wing. Only together we can fly.
www.cookingwithfranca.blogspot.com
zfranca is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
other, pasta

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.