Pasta question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

corazon

Executive Chef
Native New Mexican, now live in Bellingham, WA
dh was making spagetti a couple nights ago. He put the water on the stove, added some olive oil and almost put the pasta in right away, not waiting until the water was boiling. I told him he had it all wrong. I've never put oil in the water, some say it prevents it from sticking but if you have enough water in the pot, sticking shouldn't be a problem. However, when he asked me why he had to wait for the water to boil to add the pasta, I didn't have an answer. Can you help me out? Thanks!

I always put oil in my water too...just what I learned from Mom. As to the boiling bit, I think it has something to do with the gluten in the pasta. Sorry, thats all I have though.

The pasta will be in the water longer waiting for the water to reach temp. As a result, the exterior of the pasta can become water logged.

There is no need for oil in the water. If you use enough water and stir the pasta several times, sticking will not be a problem. Besides, the oil will keep the sauce from clinging to the pasta.

What Andy said.

Also the oil floats on top the the water when cooking anyway and then when you pour the pasta into the strainer the oil is the first thing down the drain. Any oil that does get mixed into the water (from the agitation of boiling) will keep the sauce from sticking.

That being said, for most of my pasta making life I did the same thing. I never found it to be a problem, but now I just make sure I have enough water and sticking is not a problem and I don't waste oil.

Corazon, you and DH should do a test. You should both boil up some pasta. He should put his into the water right away and you should wait for it to come to a boil. Then do a taste test. Make sure to report back with you results :)

corazon90 said:
dh was making spagetti a couple nights ago. He put the water on the stove, added some olive oil and almost put the pasta in right away, not waiting until the water was boiling. I told him he had it all wrong. I've never put oil in the water, some say it prevents it from sticking but if you have enough water in the pot, sticking shouldn't be a problem. However, when he asked me why he had to wait for the water to boil to add the pasta, I didn't have an answer. Can you help me out? Thanks!
The water has to boil first, as you cant put dry pasta in cold water. Adding oil is up to you, but I don't find it necessary.

Use a pot big enough to hold the amount of pasta you are cooking. Fill the pot with water, cover it and let the water boil. Uncover add pasta, stir. Add salt if you wish.

My dad came out to LA, made pasta, it stuck together & he blamed my pots. The water has to boil first & the pot has to be big enough. If necessary, break up the pasta (spaghetti) to fit in the pan. Some people leave it standing up on the side of the pot. Doesn't work for me.

Andy M. said:
The pasta will be in the water longer waiting for the water to reach temp. As a result, the exterior of the pasta can become water logged.

There is no need for oil in the water. If you use enough water and stir the pasta several times, sticking will not be a problem. Besides, the oil will keep the sauce from clinging to the pasta.
I did mention the sauce clinging to the pasta to him last night too, I forgot about that. Water logged? Would this mean that the outside would be overdone, while the inside would be underdone...something like that?

Maybe I will do a taste test, gb. Thanks!

Oil is not necessary. You have to use it only when you cook fresh home made lasagne (before oven, I intend). They are so large that is really possible that they attach themselves in some way. And so, it results difficult to bring them out from the water. So, oil can help you.
But, in dry pasta cooking, if you mantain pasta in the right way, al dente, (not cooked too much), you will not have any problem.

corazon90 said:
I did mention the sauce clinging to the pasta to him last night too, I forgot about that. Water logged? Would this mean that the outside would be overdone, while the inside would be underdone...something like that? quote]

Be sure to drain all the water out.

Do as Martha did... throw a strand against the fridge -- when it sticks, it's done. :LOL:

cooking pasta

Almost all of the italian cooking chefs on tv always tell you no oil and no rinsing of your pasta.It definatly helps the sauce to adhear to the pasta and they also reccomend you to toss pasta in some of the hot sauce and cook it a few minutes in the sauce. Put extra sauce on the side so you and others can put the ammount they want on top.

You can finish the dish with a little olive oil on top when serving.
Enjoy:chef:

corazon90 said:
...Would this mean that the outside would be overdone, while the inside would be underdone...something like that?

Maybe I will do a taste test, gb. Thanks!

Exactly right.

Adding the oil to the boiling water was to help prevent foam overs. If you pot started to foam up and go over the top, my mom would always add oil to remedy this. However, if you are using a deep enough pot with plenty of water, then it should not be an issue. Like GB states, it is kinda of a waste to me so I don't do it anymore.

I put oil in the water, but now that I think about it, it does all just float on top. I think I'll skip it next time.
As far as boiling over goes, I boil the water on high heat, add the pasta, give it a good stir, and immediatly reduce the heat to med/high. That method works fine. I also use a good deep stockpot.

I salt the water when I put it on to boil, using about a tablespoon or so of salt (I just pour it in my hand). I heard someplace that the water should be salty...like the sea. I can tell a big difference in the taste of my pasta since I started doing that.

If you put your pasta in the water before bringing it to a boil, it will turn to mush. Trust me on this. I've made just about every cooking mistake that can be made over the years.

Satie hit the nail right on the head. Teh same thing is done when boiling maple sap down into syrup. When the liquid begins to boil over, you add fresh butter (fat) to the syrup to settle things down.

But this can also be done by properly regulating the heat. So oil is not required. I like to drain my pasta and add either Carapelli EVOO or Truffle Oil to the pot and stir. This adds a wonderful flavor to the pasta (epecially the truffle oil) and compliments the tomato or parmesano, or mushroom sauce that is used at the table.

Just remember that with pasta, you can add most any flavor you want. Don't limit yourself. Try it with a stroganoff mixture, or with sweet and sour pork, or with a smoky sausage. It's great with a host of cheeses, or just with some flavorful butter. You can add peppers, both hot and/or sweet, onion, pesto, stir-fry veggies, etc. Pasta is so versatile. And try the whole grain varieties. At first, the mouthfeel and taste will be strange. But after a few servings, you get very used to it and it becomes the preferred pasta, as the flavor is richer, with interesting textures, some very smooth, and some more coarse, depending on the brand you purchase.

As for the hot/cold water issue. I always get the pot boiling first. Then, I place my pasta in the pan. If the pan is too small to hold, say long strands of linguini, I place one end in and let it cook for about 20 seconds. Then, I carefully push the exposed pasta downward as the immersed portion becomes flexible. This method also elliminates sticking as the pressure used to push the pasta into the water seperates the individual strands. And yes, it does have to be cooked in enough water to allow the pasta to move around as it cooks.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Last edited:
A friend of mine told me years ago how to make pasta and it works great.
Pan lg enough to hold the pasta, bring water to a boil and add salt. Add your pasta, stir and bring to a boil again and then Turn OFF the heat and cover. Let stand about 15 or 20 min. and the pasta will be done just right. Never sticks.This works for all pastas.

Tumpershere, doing so, pasta doesn't cook, becomes only tender. And it's better to cook pasta, in order to get it more digestible. From 8 minutes (spaghetti) to 12 (maccheroni), in boiling water. And fresh pasta is ready when is up on water surface: one minute, max two.

No oil, use butter... or not. Your choice of course, but I think it add flavor. So, why does the instruction for making rice say add butter?

But so far no mention of salt.

I always add salt to the boiling pasta water, but not before it boils. Pasta needs seasoning.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom