"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 08-13-2016, 12:25 AM   #1
Master Chef

Pasta Sauce with a Healthy Surprise

Had 2/3 lb. uncooked ground beef sitting in the fridge. Asked DW if she was up for some linguine with meat sauce. She said she was. Had a bottle of Prego Mushroom tomato sauce in the pantry and decided to use it for a quick meal, instead of making my own from scratch sauce. Of course I doctored it. And I thought to myself, how can I increase the nutritional value of this sauce, and maybe make it taste better. I spotted a small head of broccoli in the fridge, cut it up and added it to the Prego, along with the freshly browned ground beef. I let it all simmer for about 30 minutes to blend the extra hers, tenderized the meat, and cook the broccoli. I tasted a chunk of the broccoli flowerette. It was very, very good. The strong broccoli flavor was diminished and replaced with the sauce flavors, and a hint of broccoli that added depth to the sauce. The texture was great as well. The cut stem fave a bit of crunch and texture to the sauce as well.

If you have someone who isn't crazy about eating broccoli, one of the superfoods, cut some up and put it into your Sunday gravy, or Bolognaise Sauce, or marinara. It's good stuff.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 12:03 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

I love broccoli. Steam it after preparation, a generous pat of butter with S&P, and I am in heaven. Any time I am served a helping of a medley of veggies, I always pick out the broccoli first. Now cauliflower, not so much. But I will eat it if forced.

I too keep a large bottle of Prego on hand for the same purpose as you do. With just two of us, it is has become too expensive to make a Sunday Gravy anymore.

Old 08-14-2016, 09:24 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

Broccoli is not a magic tree!!!!!
Old 08-14-2016, 01:17 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Broccoli and pasta are a great favourite over here:

2 heads of fresh broccoli (doesn't work with frozen)
1 small onion
2 cloves garlic
ricotta to taste
parmesan to taste
chilli flakes to taste, but don't overdo it
good grinding of black pepper
Penne rigate

you need penne rigate to hold the sauce. A smoother pasta like casarecce doesn't do the job as well.

Chop the onion and garlic and put into a sautè pan along with the chilli
cut the broccoli into florets about 3/4 inch
Get the pasta on the go
when the onion and garlic are softened, add the broccoli and cook gently until just over al dente.
Add the ricotta and mix in well
As soon as the pasta is ready, mix that in too
Dust with a generous amount of freshly ground parmesan

Buon appetito

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde
Old 08-15-2016, 07:42 PM   #5
Sous Chef

I might try that. I usually throw hamburger into spaghetti sauce, but I've never simmered it. I drain my hamburger after browning it, but I'm wondering, do you still get a lot of hamburger grease while simmering?
Old 08-15-2016, 08:41 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I might try that. I usually throw hamburger into spaghetti sauce, but I've never simmered it. I drain my hamburger after browning it, but I'm wondering, do you still get a lot of hamburger grease while simmering?
I don't think so. We usually make spaghetti sauce with ground beef and have leftover sauce. If more fat came out, it would rise to the top and coagulate, but I've never seen that.
Old 08-15-2016, 10:22 PM   #7
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
For me, I use Trader Joe's Organic Marinara

Click image for larger version

Name:	trader-joes-sauce-001.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	25192

No augmentation needed
Old 08-15-2016, 10:39 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Same here. I always brown ground meat. I want that fond on the bottom of the pan and then drain all the fat off.
Old 08-16-2016, 04:16 PM   #9
Sous Chef

Oh, and here I've been draining my hamburger (twice!) and then wiping the pan out before I throw everything back in!

I wonder if I'd need to drain the hamburger if I got the 93/7 kind. As it is, I like to get 85/15.

I've been using the Classico brand of spaghetti sauce. I found I like them the best. If I could get a tomato sauce to taste like that, I'd make my own. At one time they had a spicy version that was delicious, and of course, now I can't find it anywhere.

Even though the sauce is supposed to be tomato and basil or whatever, I always throw some garlic, chopped onion, parsely flakes, extra basil, and sometimes Italian seasonings into it.
Old 08-16-2016, 05:16 PM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Oh, and here I've been draining my hamburger (twice!) and then wiping the pan out before I throw everything back in!

I wonder if I'd need to drain the hamburger if I got the 93/7 kind. As it is, I like to get 85/15.

I've been using the Classico brand of spaghetti sauce. I found I like them the best. If I could get a tomato sauce to taste like that, I'd make my own. At one time they had a spicy version that was delicious, and of course, now I can't find it anywhere.

Even though the sauce is supposed to be tomato and basil or whatever, I always throw some garlic, chopped onion, parsely flakes, extra basil, and sometimes Italian seasonings into it.
And now......Broccoli! Tada!

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
health, healthy, other, pasta, pasta sauce, sauce