Pasta sauce with no tomatoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So, I followed some suggestions posted in this thread and made a sauce to go with store bought tortellini.

I melted about a quarter cup of butter on low heat and added about 1-2 tblsps of EVOO. Then I added minced garlic and anchovies. When that got fragrant, I added some white wine and reduced it a bit. Then I added some cream and stirred like heck. I tossed the tortellini, some freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano (grated with a microplane, so it would melt really fast) and chopped parsley, in the sauce. That worked really well. It was delicious. It kicked the store bought tortellini up a notch or two. DH liked the flavour, but would have preferred it a bit creamier. I think I will try adding a bit of cream cheese next time.

Thanks for the suggestions.

So, I followed some suggestions posted in this thread and made a sauce to go with store bought tortellini.

I melted about a quarter cup of butter on low heat and added about 1-2 tblsps of EVOO. Then I added minced garlic and anchovies. When that got fragrant, I added some white wine and reduced it a bit. Then I added some cream and stirred like heck. I tossed the tortellini, some freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano (grated with a microplane, so it would melt really fast) and chopped parsley, in the sauce. That worked really well. It was delicious. It kicked the store bought tortellini up a notch or two. DH liked the flavour, but would have preferred it a bit creamier. I think I will try adding a bit of cream cheese next time.

EXCELLENT Taxy!!!
Next time try "mounting the sauce with butter", this makes for a nice rich, creamy, luxurious sauce.
AKA start with a bit of the EVOO, garlic, anchovies, then the wine, and maybe some fresh herbs like flat leaf parsley or Oregano, then the cheese and "mount the sauce" with cold bits of butter, a piece and a time-swirling rather than stirring and you'll get a beautifully rich, smooth, creamy, decadent sauce.

I came across a recipe with pasta, mushrooms, zucchini and prawns. I have archives of thousands of recipes, all collected over many years of reseach. Anyway, I came across this:

Pasta (short pasta, I use Rigatoni) 250 penne, rigatoni, and similar
4 oz fresh mushrooms
4 oz prawns - but you can use bacon cubes instead, and they work very well
2 zucchini
3 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
grated zest of 1/4 lemon
basil
pine nuts
white wine to taste
S & P

Cut the zucchini into 1/4 inch cubes. Slice the mushrooms. Chop the garlic finely
Grate the lemon zest
Have the basil to hand.
Gently fry the zucchini and mushrooms. Add the garlic, lemon zest and basil.
Add the juice of the lemon
Add the prawns/ bacon cubes
Season
Add the lemon juice
Bring to the boil, and then add the white wine - 1/2 wine glass

In the meantime, cook the pasta for 2 minutes less than the directions say, and then add all the other above ingredients. Then toss the above ingredients and cook until the juices are evaporated.

You can eat this either hot or cold.

OH really enjoyed it, and so did I!

di reston

Pumpkin tortelli from Italy

Tomorrow i'm preparing pumpkin tortelli. It is a recipe that i learned from my mother in law who was coming from a village near Mantova.
The day before i prepare the filling with pumpkin coocked in the oven and than mushed . I add a special type of biscuits called "Amaretti" mashed , parmisan grated and a the quince marmalede cut off in very little chuncks.I prepare the dough and i put in the fridge. Some recipes use to add Mostarda instead of quince marmalede. I don't like the last one very much because the filling become too sweet.
My mother in law used to prepare pasta in the old manner extending it on the table with the rolling pin .I use the machine. When i prepare pasta i keep a pot filled with water boiling on the induction plate near the table, so the pasta doesn't become dry because of steam . So i can close the tortelli filled easily .
I have two daughters. One prefers the sauce with butter sauted with sage an a little bit stock cube. Then i put on tortelli this sauce an a portion of grated parmisan.
The other daughter prefers the sauce with chicken liver. This is the sauce that i prefer because of the meeting of salty taste with the sweet taste of the tortelli filling.
I cut off in little chuncks the chicken livers. Then i sauted them with onions or scalogno(a type of onion). i add salt and pepper and tomato concentrate.
I toss and then i add a little hot water with half stock cube .
When the sauce is cooked i put on tortelli with grated parmisan.

Tomorrow i'm preparing pumpkin tortelli. It is a recipe that i learned from my mother in law who was coming from a village near Mantova.
The day before i prepare the filling with pumpkin coocked in the oven and than mushed . I add a special type of biscuits called "Amaretti" mashed , parmisan grated and a the quince marmalede cut off in very little chuncks.I prepare the dough and i put in the fridge. Some recipes use to add Mostarda instead of quince marmalede. I don't like the last one very much because the filling become too sweet.
My mother in law used to prepare pasta in the old manner extending it on the table with the rolling pin .I use the machine. When i prepare pasta i keep a pot filled with water boiling on the induction plate near the table, so the pasta doesn't become dry because of steam . So i can close the tortelli filled easily .
I have two daughters. One prefers the sauce with butter sauted with sage an a little bit stock cube. Then i put on tortelli this sauce an a portion of grated parmisan.
The other daughter prefers the sauce with chicken liver. This is the sauce that i prefer because of the meeting of salty taste with the sweet taste of the tortelli filling.
I cut off in little chuncks the chicken livers. Then i sauted them with onions or scalogno(a type of onion). i add salt and pepper and tomato concentrate.
I toss and then i add a little hot water with half stock cube .
When the sauce is cooked i put on tortelli with grated parmisan.

That is something I have never heard of.

I am with the first daughter -- butter and sage. The chicken liver sauce doesn't sound like something I would like.

CD

I ate sauce with le chicken livers the first time i met my mother in law in 1977 an i have been still eating nowadays. My mother in law lived on the edge of Brescia and Mantova ,while i lived in the northen part of Brescia ( where there is the Beretta guns factory). I did't know this sauce.
Of course as every food it must meet your taste.
I use the same sauce when i prepare (In italy we call dirty soup)soup addig rice. My little grandchildren like very much . They ask two dishes of soup as well all my relatives.

Marigio

You can also use it in the " pasta pasticciata backed).
Pasta drained not completely cooked which you add to bechamel -sauce ragù and parmisan.
Then you put the pan with pasta in the oven until the pasta have a little crost .
Around 15 minutes in oven preheated at 200 degrees C.

Sorry ragù sauce is with tomato. You can change using courgettes previously coocked with parsely and basil

I came across a recipe with pasta, mushrooms, zucchini and prawns. I have archives of thousands of recipes, all collected over many years of reseach. Anyway, I came across this:

Pasta (short pasta, I use Rigatoni) 250 penne, rigatoni, and similar
4 oz fresh mushrooms
4 oz prawns - but you can use bacon cubes instead, and they work very well
2 zucchini
3 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
grated zest of 1/4 lemon
basil
pine nuts
white wine to taste
S & P

Cut the zucchini into 1/4 inch cubes. Slice the mushrooms. Chop the garlic finely
Grate the lemon zest
Have the basil to hand.
Gently fry the zucchini and mushrooms. Add the garlic, lemon zest and basil.
Add the juice of the lemon
Add the prawns/ bacon cubes
Season
Add the lemon juice
Bring to the boil, and then add the white wine - 1/2 wine glass

In the meantime, cook the pasta for 2 minutes less than the directions say, and then add all the other above ingredients. Then toss the above ingredients and cook until the juices are evaporated.

You can eat this either hot or cold.

OH really enjoyed it, and so did I!

di reston

It sounds good . The recipe is simply. No too fat
I try to do it tomorrow.
Marigio

What is the creme that you added?
A bought creme or a creme that you prepared . What were the ingredients of the creme.?
Thank you Marigio

What is the creme that you added?
A bought creme or a creme that you prepared . What were the ingredients of the creme.?
Thank you Marigio
It was cream, the fatty part of milk from a cow. It was probably 10% milk fat, but that was back in February, so I don't remember for sure.

I made it a couple of times since then and I am quite pleased with how it turns out now. So is DH. I start out with EVOO and no butter for the anchovies and garlic. I switched the cream to 40% cream and reduce the sauce a little longer. At the end I add pieces of butter, as suggested by Kaneohegirlinaz in this post.

Last edited:
Risotto

This morning I'm preparing for lunch the risotto I like best.
It is with Trevisano radicchio-red whine and smoked scamorza chees.
I put evo oil in a pan together with onion cut in little chuncks.
I sautè and then add Trevisano radicchio ( Italian Red salade ).
I sweat the Trevisano and then i add rice. I Stir and salt.
When the rice is seasoned i add a glass of red wine.
I let the wine to be evaporated .
Then i add cow stock until the risotto is cooked.
Some minutes before rice finish cooking i add smocked scamorza sliced , parsley and parmisan.. and i stir.
I can add a little butter once the pan with risotto has been taken away from the induction plate or the stove. Il make it creamyer.
You find the risotto pink colored.
Very yummy

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom