Pasta sauce with no tomatoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've been wanting to make a recipe that I saw o a food travel show recently (Zimmern?), Mussels Carbonara.

Instead of using guanciale, you use the meat and liquor from steamed mussels.

I was just thinking about carbonara. Mussels should go well in a carbonara dish. They have a strong enough flavor to stand up to that very rich sauce.

I love pasta carbonara, but after I eat it, I have to take a nap. It is not "lite."

CD

A bit off topic maybe. Does anyone have a pasta maker? Ronco came up with one years back. It mixed up the dough then squeezed it out in any shape you wanted. Fresh pasta. Those were the days. Ronco=Ron Popeil, inventor.

Last edited:
I usually make a variety of dishes based on garlic and oil.

Garlic and oil with Broccoli
G & O Primavera ( any veggies you like, sprinkle with parm cheese if you like)
G & O with sautéed Brussel sprouts , oregano and Parm cheese
G & O with spinach and feta cheese ( usually server room temp)

Nick Stellino has a bunch as well.
Here is one with sausages and broccoli, using a sauce based on chicken stock ( I make a vegetarian version, which is good, so Im guessing the real thing would be better).

Nick Stellino - Orecchiette Pasta with Broccoli and Sausages
]

We make a dish much like that fairly often called Pasta Rustico. It either uses orrechiette or farfalle, sausage, broccoli rabe, garlic, and lots of red pepper flakes.

Well that would work in lasagna, but I don't think it sounds appealing on its own over pasta.

Why not? With proper seasoning it is excellent. I have a daughter that doesn't eat tomato sauce. I make it for her all the time.

A bit off topic maybe. Does anyone have a pasta maker? Ronco came up with one years back. It mixed up the dough then squeezed it out in any shape you wanted. Fresh pasta. Those were the days. Ronco=Ron Popeil, inventor.
I've owned a few over the years, and they all failed (including the Italian made ones). I'm pretty sure I had a Ronco that blew up. I now own a Philips, and it's easily the best I've ever owned. It wasn't cheap, as the regular retail price is $300. They periodically run specials for $250, and with the BB&B 20% off coupon, I got mine for $200.

That said, there is no comparison between dried pasta and fresh pasta. We've now accepted that fresh is normal (and so, so good), but it's kind of fun to watch people who have never had fresh pasta experience it for the first time. They never knew what they were missing.

I've made cannelloni wrapped with the wide noodles from the pasta machine, and not only is it much easier that filling pasta tubes, it is way, way better.

I have a hand-cranked pasta maker and agree there is no comparison to dry.

It's a bit of work to first make and rest the dough then hand crank it through the different thicknesses then cutting it before cooking.

A fully automated model like the Phillips would make fresh pasta so much easier and a more common component of meals.

I bought my wife a Marcato Atlas pasta maker with motor and a bunch of cutting dyes. So far, she's used it once to make sheets of pasta for pierogies.

I'm hoping to put it to use soon to make fresh tagliatelle or bucatini for cacio e pepe.

Are you OK with mushrooms Taxlady? Some of my favorites are with mushrooms, and no tomatoes. I also have countless oriental noodle recipes in my software, if you like those, though most are loaded with garlic and hot peppers.

This one originally called for shredded mushrooms and square noodles, but I had a FP with a julienne disk, which worked even better. The homemade pasta with it is heavenly, but it's delicious on regular pasta, too. For those, I chop the mushrooms up, as noted in the recipe.

Pasta with mushrooms

1/2 oz dried boletus or porcini mushrooms
1 lb mushrooms
1 medium onion; chopped
1/2 tb minced fresh rosemary (Optional, but delicious)
4 oz butter
3 tb parsley (fresh); chopped
1/2 cup(s) parmesan cheese; plus more for table
1 tsp salt; to taste
1/2 tsp black pepper; to taste
1 lb pasta, spirals or small shells

A. Soak dried mushrooms in 1 1/2 c warm water for 1 hr. Massage the caps to release the grit, then remove the mushrooms and press out water. Chop very fine and set aside. Strain water to remove grit and set aside. Chop mushrooms coarsely (or jullienne, if using square noodles) and set aside.

B. Heat 4 tb butter and onion in 12" sauté pan over med. heat. Cook 6-7 min,. or until golden, then add dried mushrooms and soaking water. Cook until water is boiled away, and add mushrooms, rosemary, salt, and pepper. Mix well and cover; cook over low heat 25-30 min., or until most liquid has cooked away. Remove lid, and boil most away, if it is watery.

C. Meanwhile, cook pasta in salted water to al dente; drain, and toss with mushrooms and remaining butter, parsley, and the parmesan. Serve with additional cheese on the side, if desired.

Note: Square noodles, made with 3 eggs and 2 1/4 c flour, may be used for the pasta.

Olive oil may be substituted for the butter, and 2 tsp chopped rosemary added.

I prefer the dried boletus to porcini in this, as the smoky flavor is stronger, but either may be used.

Cremini Mushrooms are particularly good in this, but portabellas overpower the dried mushroom flavor.

Here's another recipe I discovered decades ago, that my roommate and I would make frequently, as he often kept nova in the fridge for his bagels.

Smoked Salmon with Fresh Fasta and Cream Sauce

1/4 lb smoked salmon (nova)
3 tb unsalted butter
2 tb cognac
1/2 lb fresh pasta
1/2 cup(s) heavy cream; warmed to almost a simmer
1/3 cup(s) parmesan cheese; grated

A. Cut the salmon and pasta as desired - I usually cut the pasta into fettucini, to make it easier, and the salmon into about 3/4x1" pieces. Bring a small pot of water to a boil for the pasta, and salt to taste.

B. Add pasta to water - only takes a min. or two, since it is fresh - best to do with a helper, to take care of the pasta, so they are done at the same time.. Meanwhile, heat butter in a 10-12" skillet over med-high heat, until hot, but not browning. Add nova, toss until it loses it's bright pink color, then add cognac and ignite. Add cream and bring to a boil, then toss in noodles. Toss well to mix, toss with half the cheese, add salt and pepper to taste (should be enough salt), and serve, topped with remaining cheese.
I'm fine with mushrooms, but the hubster doesn't much like them. He will tolerate a few in a sauce. The smoked salmon recipe sounds wonderful, except the part about cooking the salmon. Both me and the hubster do not like salmon once it has changed colour (it actually makes me gag). But, adding the smoked salmon at the end, on top so it doesn't cook at all, sounds yummy. Thanks

Thanks for all the suggestions. Roch, we actually had pasta with pesto as a side for supper tonight. I should have included it in my short list.

Any recipes involving bell peppers will have to wait until I have tested if they bother my arthritis. They are in the nightshade family. Luckily, capsaicin is an anti-inflammatory. I have tested hot peppers and those do not bother me. Yes, it was the first thing I tested. It was the nightshade that I would have been the saddest to have to give up.

You guys are the pips with all these recipe ideas for Taxi. Going to borrow some myself and note down others to add to the menu list of ones I already sometimes make.

Luckily, capsaicin is an anti-inflammatory. I have tested hot peppers and those do not bother me. Yes, it was the first thing I tested. It was the nightshade that I would have been the saddest to have to give up.
Good to know! Do you do Thai food? I have one noodle recipe with 30 Thai bird peppers in it, though some friends have said that it was a bit inflammatory to their mouths. :ohmy:

How about:

Sesame noodles or Asian noodle salad
Chicken pork beef or shrimp lo mein ( I add more veggies than meats)
Beef stroganoff

Egg Fettuccine With Butter, Gruyere and Toasted Walnuts

Coarse salt to taste
12 ounces egg fettuccine
6 ounces aged Gruyere cheese (without rinds), coarsely shredded
2 tablespoons butter
2 ounces walnuts, toasted and chopped
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
Freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese for serving (optional)

Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add salt and the pasta and cook until al dente.

While the pasta is cooking, remove 1/4 to 1/2 cup of the pasta cooking water and set it aside. Drain the pasta quickly in a colander. Be careful not to overcook.

Quickly put the drained pot back onto the burner over medium heat. Working quickly, return the pasta to the pot. Add the reserved 1/4 cup cooking water (or more if the mixture seems too dry), Gruyere and butter. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the cheese and butter are melted.

Remove from the heat and stir in the walnuts. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Serve in warm bowls with additional salt and pepper and a bit of grated Parmigiano-Reggiano atop each bowl.

Makes 4 servings

We really like this one. Had forgotten about it untill a couple months back, but refound it and won't forget again.

Orecchiette with Sausage and Sage Brown Butter

2 Tbsp unsalted butter
8 ounces Italian spicy sausage, casings removed
Leaves from 2 sprigs fresh sage, thinly sliced
8 ounces orecchiette pasta
Kosher salt for the pasta water, plus more to taste
1/2 cup grated pecorino cheese
Freshly ground black pepper, to tast

Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat.

Set a medium sauté pan with high sides over medium-high heat and add half of the butter. When the butter is foamy and turns a light golden brown, add the sausage and cook until it’s well browned, breaking it up with a wooden spoon as it cooks, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add the sage, stir to combine, remove the pan from the heat, and set aside.

Add the orecchiette and a generous pinch of salt to the boiling water. Cook until the pasta is al dente, stirring frequently. Check the cooking time recommendations on the package. Reserve 1 cup of the pasta cooking water, then drain the orecchiette.

Set the pan with the browned sausage over medium heat and add the pasta. Stir to combine, scraping up any browned bits stuck to the bottom of the pan. Add the reserved pasta water, starting with 1/4 cup, then 1 tablespoon at a time, stirring until a sauce begins to form.

Reserve 1 Tbsp of the pecorino cheese and add the rest to the pasta. Add the remaining butter and stir to combine. Keep adding more of the reserved pasta water as needed until the sauce emulsifies into a creamy sauce that clings to the pasta. Season with black pepper and taste, adding additional salt if needed.

Divide the pasta evenly between 2 warmed plates. Garnish with the reserved pecorino and serve.

Fast and inexpensive Clams/Tuna with linguini.

This makes two servings.

2T butter or EVOO
Lots of minced garlic
1 can of chopped clams or solid pack tuna with liquid.
A splash of white wine or lemon juice.
A few grinds of black pepper
A big pinch of red pepper flakes.
Chopped parsley if you have it, a handful of frozen peas if you don't.

2 servings of linguine cooked according to your liking.

Grated parmesan or romano cheese.

Not really a recipe but hot pasta tossed with any or all of the following: a beaten egg, a little cream or milk, grated cheese, a knob of butter and several grinds of black pepper.

lemon butter
2 T Butter
1 Lemon
pepper, salt
garlic

grate lemon zest and press out the lemon juice
melt butter and add zest and juice.

you may add garlic or pistachio and it goes well with salmon or prawns

cara! Wie geht es Ihnen? Was ist los?

How the heck are you? Still driving classic Mercs?

Last edited:
Tagliatelle dressed with butter, sage, black pepper and Parmesan. Good when you're feeling tired.

di reston

Peeple of ze wurl, relax!
Tom Robbins
Fierce invalids home from hot climates

Back
Top Bottom