"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 04-15-2012, 11:15 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Bill, do you boil the fresh lasagna noodles/sheets before you put them in the lasagna?
NO

Old 04-15-2012, 11:23 AM   #12
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishedTopaz View Post
2 c. flour
2 eggs
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp oil

I didn't knead it for very long, maybe a minute or so. I found the dough very very soft and not looking like what I have seen on cooking shows, additionally it wasn't sheeting as I had seen it either. It got thin but didn't spread to fit the opening in the machine.
Except for the oil, my recipe is very similar. If you do add oil, only add 1 teaspoon. The dough should be firm. If not, add a little more flour. If the dough is too firm, add about a teaspoon of water at a time. Knead for about 3-4 minutes.

Old 04-15-2012, 12:41 PM   #13
Head Chef

A few more tips. After you add the egg(s) to the well in the center of the flour, little by little, incorporate the flour from the sides into the egg(s). Add flour, as needed, to the work surface when kneading. Break off a small piece of dough and keep the rest covered as you work. Use a large enough pot to cook the pasta. Make sure the water comes to a boil first. I don't add oil to the water. Don't overcook. It takes a little practice, but worth the effort.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:55 PM   #14
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerise View Post
A few more tips. After you add the egg(s) to the well in the center of the flour, little by little, incorporate the flour from the sides into the egg(s). Add flour, as needed, to the work surface when kneading. Break off a small piece of dough and keep the rest covered as you work. Use a large enough pot to cook the pasta. Make sure the water comes to a boil first. I don't add oil to the water. Don't overcook. It takes a little practice, but worth the effort.
After reading everybodies tips I think I did a few things wrong. I didn't knead it long enough, I let the dough rest at room temp, I overcooked it and the sauce was wrong. Also I didn't use Semolina as a non-sticking agent and I really feel that adding the salt toughened the eggs and made them rubbery.

I however am NOT detered, as I said to whiney husband {who did not complain......this time}
" I don't look at this as a kitchen failure, just a non-success "
Old 04-15-2012, 01:11 PM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishedTopaz View Post
After reading everybodies tips I think I did a few things wrong. I didn't knead it long enough, I let the dough rest at room temp, I overcooked it and the sauce was wrong. Also I didn't use Semolina as a non-sticking agent and I really feel that adding the salt toughened the eggs and made them rubbery.

I however am NOT detered, as I said to whiney husband {who did not complain......this time}
" I don't look at this as a kitchen failure, just a non-success "
You did good, PT. Just a little tweaking & you'll love the end result.

Also, I use an Imperia. On the first pass of dough, set the machine next to the widest setting. On the next pass, tighten the rollers up & come down a notch. You can always ball the dough up & start again. Have fun.

Tags
pasta