Pasta with Butter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
All of this chat about salt got me thinking about that Tower of the Himalayas salt shaker - it's to the right in the pic. That was a gift from my sis for my birthday. It's tall, pink and pretty, but this thread got me asking myself if all the hype about the product had any truth to it. So I spent the weekend trying to get smart.
Long intro to a short conclusion: it's salt.
It's pink because it contains iron oxide - the kind of iron that won't increase your blood pressure because you won't metabolize it. It also contains a plethora of other minerals in concentrations too small to be meaningful... and some potassium - that's good.
Otherwise, IT'S SALT. Use it but don't overuse it. Duh.
Looks good on my window sill though...

I'm curious how this is different from "Alfredo"?

The original post is akin to an American style "alfredo sauce."

Real, Italian, "Alfredo" is known as Fettuccine al burro and traditionally contains NO cream. It is simply hot pasta tossed with butter, Parmigiano-Reggiano (or sometimes Grana Padano) , and a bit of parsley. The cheese emulsifies the liquids to form a creamy sauce. :) Simple and delicious.

The term "fettuccini alfredo" isn't really known/common in Italy.

http://www.saveur.com/article/Kitchen/The-Real-Alfredo

Last edited:
Alfredo was my first thought too. Regardless of what you call it, it sounds delicious as usual for a Kadesma recipe.

I do mine with a good bit of butter, a sprinkle of powdered milk and let that cook a bit, put in a bit of garlic, maybe a bit of anchovy paste and cook that down a bit then a squeeze of lemon juice off the heat. S&P, parmesan and minced flat leaf parsley go in with the pasta.

Lots better than that liquid movie theater popcorn "butter" with ramen noodles.

Last edited:
Hmmm, I usually use Alfredo Sauce from a jar. :::::::::::::::running for my life!:::::::::::
Oh don't use that stuff from a jar it's so easy to make 1 pint of heavy cream,1-1/2 cups fresh grated parm, 1 stick of butter mix all to gether and pour over fresh cooked pasta of choice.
Alfredo was my first thought too. Regardless of what you call it, it sounds delicious as usual for a Kadesma recipe.
Thanks Andy I just lightly brown my butter before putting in my pasta :yum:
kades

Pasta with butter and salt in a big skillet... Yummy, yum, yum. That was my mother's favorite and of course mine too along with my 4 sisters.
Brown that butter lightly mix in the pasta of choice and enjoy.
kades

I am going to try the original recipe that uses no cream, and I'm going to add some anchovies. I don't use fettuccine, but instead use penne.

If you are lucky enough to have any leftover for breakfast.

Heat it in some butter until a few strands of the pasta are golden brown and crunchy. Pour on a few beaten eggs top with grated cheese and pop into a 400 degree oven for 15-25 minutes, until the eggs are set and the cheese is brown!

Great hot or at room temperature.

If you are lucky enough to have any leftover for breakfast.

Heat it in some butter until a few strands of the pasta are golden brown and crunchy. Pour on a few beaten eggs top with grated cheese and pop into a 400 degree oven for 15-25 minutes, until the eggs are set and the cheese is brown!

Great hot or at room temperature.

Bea, loving the sound of this :yum:

Back
Top Bottom