"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 07-18-2013, 11:31 AM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Pasta with Butter

cook pasta to al dente stage or the way you like it.be sure to salt the water. While pasta is cooking get out a large skillet one that will hold all the pasta. Save some of the cooking water in case you need it later. now add the pasta to the skillet along with melted butter 1 stick, 1 cup of heavy cream, salt and pepper,1/2 cup of parm cheese reserving the rest of the 3/4 cup of cheese til after you've tossed the pasta the if needed add the reserved water and finish up with the last of the cheese..
enjoy,
kades

Old 07-18-2013, 11:37 AM   #2
Executive Chef

I have always wondered what the purpose is of salting the water when cooking pasta. What would happen if you forgot the salt?

Old 07-18-2013, 11:44 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
I have always wondered what the purpose is of salting the water when cooking pasta. What would happen if you forgot the salt?
It just helps the flavors. No salt at first you will need to go heavier on the seasonings later.
kades
Old 07-18-2013, 12:01 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
It just helps the flavors. No salt at first you will need to go heavier on the seasonings later.
kades

Thanks. I always salt, but I also like to add more salt after the pasta is cooked.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:17 PM   #5
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
cook pasta to al dente stage or the way you like it.be sure to salt the water. While pasta is cooking get out a large skillet one that will hold all the pasta. Save some of the cooking water in case you need it later. now add the pasta to the skillet along with melted butter 1 stick, 1 cup of heavy cream, salt and pepper,1/2 cup of parm cheese reserving the rest of the 3/4 cup of cheese til after you've tossed the pasta the if needed add the reserved water and finish up with the last of the cheese..
enjoy,
kades
Ahhhhhhh, I love you kades! :-)

Pasta with butter, or "pasta al burro" as we call it here, is an all-time favorite of mine. I love it for its simplicity, despite of its bad reputation: many of us Italians consider pasta al burro just a "quick" solution, when you have no time or no desire to work on a "serious" recipe. And you never, never offer your guests a dish of pasta al burro, for that very reason.
And still I love it, because it is simple, it is fast, and I like the flavor of butter, parmigiano reggiano and my spaghetti!

Thanks again
Old 07-18-2013, 12:26 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Sounds yummy Ma. Thanks!

And Luca, I believe I WOULD serve this to guests
Old 07-18-2013, 12:49 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
Thanks. I always salt, but I also like to add more salt after the pasta is cooked.
Your pasta will have such a flat flavorless taste it will be almost inedible. YUK! Try a small experiment. Cook about an ounce of pasta without salt and one ounce with salt. You will get a loud and clear answer.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:59 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca Lazzari View Post
Ahhhhhhh, I love you kades! :-)

Pasta with butter, or "pasta al burro" as we call it here, is an all-time favorite of mine. I love it for its simplicity, despite of its bad reputation: many of us Italians consider pasta al burro just a "quick" solution, when you have no time or no desire to work on a "serious" recipe. And you never, never offer your guests a dish of pasta al burro, for that very reason.
And still I love it, because it is simple, it is fast, and I like the flavor of butter, parmigiano reggiano and my spaghetti!

Thanks again
Luca, it's so good to hear from you. This pasta is my favorite and my families as well. Guests get the dressed up pasta but this one is saved for those I love .
kades
Old 07-18-2013, 01:01 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Sounds yummy Ma. Thanks!

And Luca, I believe I WOULD serve this to guests
Tis good Dawg Hope you give it a try.
ma
Old 07-18-2013, 01:07 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post

Your pasta will have such a flat flavorless taste it will be almost inedible. YUK! Try a small experiment. Cook about an ounce of pasta without salt and one ounce with salt. You will get a loud and clear answer.
Actually, I don't salt my pasta water. Pasta comes out tasting fine.

Tags
butter, cream, fettuccine, parm, pasta, recipe

Pasta with Butter cook pasta to al dente stage or the way you like it.be sure to salt the water. While pasta is cooking get out a large skillet one that will hold all the pasta. Save some of the cooking water in case you need it later. now add the pasta to the skillet along with melted butter 1 stick, 1 cup of heavy cream, salt and pepper,1/2 cup of parm cheese reserving the rest of the 3/4 cup of cheese til after you've tossed the pasta the if needed add the reserved water and finish up with the last of the cheese.. enjoy, kades 3 stars 1 reviews