"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 12-12-2013, 07:16 PM   #51
Proud American

I love all of you. I never knew there were so many opinions of mac and cheese!

I've copied and pasted some of these replies and recipes and suggestions onto a Notepad and tucked it into my DC folder.

I became tired with the boxed mac and cheese, so I wanted to try something completely different.

With love,
~Cat

Old 12-12-2013, 07:30 PM   #52
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

I think Mac and cheese is similar to pizza - I never met one I didn't like. Some are better than others but they are all good.

I lived in the south for a few years and was appalled at the custardy version of mac and cheese but came to really like it after a few tries. Not having to make a cooked sauce for the custardy version has the advantage of never making too much to too little sauce. You can just gauge the amount of milk, eggs, cheese and various other fats by the depth of the pasta in the baking dish.

Old 12-12-2013, 07:40 PM   #53
Master Chef

The custardy version is great made with JUMBO shells, the custard sort of fills the shells and sets while baking, delish!

Don't foget the Frank's RedHot Original Red Hot Sauce!
Old 12-12-2013, 09:55 PM   #54
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Please, do pray tell, what do the eggs do for a cheese sauce? I have never hear of that addition. My mother would sometimes add sliced hard boiled eggs to a béchamel sauce and pour it over toast for me. But that is the closest I have ever heard.
It's definitely different than I make, it holds together. It's not my favorite, and I've had so many bland versions almost never cheesy enough.

My favorite is the bechamel style. My recipe has a ton of sauce with lots of cheese, my macaroni swims in sauce, and it all comes together while baking.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 12:08 AM   #55
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
... and 1/2 cup of Havarti or Monterey Jack or mozzarella.
If you want, try it with a half-cup of smoked Gouda instead. OhMy! Well, ohmy if you like smoked cheese. It's creamy as well as giving it that smoky flavor. I think I end up using 1 part smoked Gouda for every 2 parts cheddar.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:44 AM   #56
Executive Chef

Gruyere will find its way into our next homemade Mac and Cheese recipe. Anyone ever make it with tortellini?
Old 12-13-2013, 10:57 AM   #57
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Gruyere will find its way into our next homemade Mac and Cheese recipe. Anyone ever make it with tortellini?
CraigC; That sounds like an absolutely brilliant idea. I would think mini-raviolies wood work too.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 01:47 PM   #58
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
I've never made it with a stuffed pasta, but that does sound good.

I've made versions with meat mixed in with the pasta and sauce. One of the kid's favorites was with chunks of smoked kielbasa and green beans. Crumbled Italian hot sausage works well, too.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:29 PM   #59
Master Chef

The tortellini sounds good!

If you use the dry tortellini I would make lots and lots of sauce. When I use it in soups it drinks all of the broth and day two becomes a casserole instead of a soup, still tasty. I use Barilla spinach and cheese when I make soup, very good.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:26 PM   #60
Chef Extraordinaire

My kids have no imagination. I tried using small and medium shells. Nope. They won't go for it. Elbows or nothing. They finally got used to the casserole size ones.

Tags
cheese