Paula Deen Mac And Cheese

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was wondering of this, as I was making this, could one perhaps just boil the noodles until they are fat and then drain the water from them, and dump in a bunch of shredded sharp cheddar cheese and cook it on low heat until the cheese melts while stirring it?

That would really become mac and cheese, yes?

With love,
~Cat

I was wondering of this, as I was making this, could one perhaps just boil the noodles until they are fat and then drain the water from them, and dump in a bunch of shredded sharp cheddar cheese and cook it on low heat until the cheese melts while stirring it?

That would really become mac and cheese, yes?

With love,
~Cat

It depends somewhat on the cheese(s) you use - some melt better than others and if they don't melt well, it comes out clumpy and gummy.

Mac 'n cheese is traditionally made with a bechamel sauce and then the cheese melts smoothly into the sauce. Many recipes then add more cheese and breadcrumbs on top, then bake it till the casserole is bubbly, the cheese melts, and the top is browned. Yummy! :yum: Then there are all the variations people mentioned above :)

I'm not sure I would choose Paula Deen as a good source of southern foods. She really does add unnecessary ingredients and calories to her recipes. You can make perfectly delicious macaroni and cheese without eggs, sour cream and a can of cheese soup. And I don't get the purpose of cooking it in the slow cooker.

Eggs are an essential part of southern macaroni and cheese, it's a custard style here. I make mine saucy with a bechamel base, no eggs, but I was not born and raised here!

....Mac 'n cheese is traditionally made with a bechamel sauce and then the cheese melts smoothly into the sauce....
How do you guys make your bechamel sauce? I've seen various ratios. Generally I use 2 TBSP each flour and butter to each cup of milk.

To cheese it up I'll add between 1/2 cup to 1 cup cheese depending on the strength of flavor.

I love macaroni and cheese
Give me macaroni and cheese all day.
I keep macaroni and cheese in the drawer
Give me a macaroni and cheese IV
I use macaroni and cheese in the mouse traps
Give me a macaroni and cheese enema.
I WANT IT ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

How do you guys make your bechamel sauce? I've seen various ratios. Generally I use 2 TBSP each flour and butter to each cup of milk.

To cheese it up I'll add between 1/2 cup to 1 cup cheese depending on the strength of flavor.

Different ratios result in different thicknesses of the sauce, so if you want a looser sauce, you use 1 tbsp. flour and butter. For mac 'n cheese, I use 2 tbsp flour and butter per cup of milk, 1.5 cups extra sharp cheddar cheese and 1/2 cup of Havarti or Monterey Jack or mozzarella.

Last edited:
Eggs are an essential part of southern macaroni and cheese, it's a custard style here. I make mine saucy with a bechamel base, no eggs, but I was not born and raised here!

Well, as I've said before, the South is a big place :) I did some searching and found "southern-style" recipes with and without eggs, so maybe I'll have to do a taste test and see which I like better. DH would love that ;)

Mac and Cheese is another food I grew up on. Once again, it was cheap to make and it fills you up. Back then it was the main course, in fact it was the only course! Now it is considered more of a side dish.

I don't consider it a problem unless someone is eating it all the time. All things in moderation.

My take on Paula Deen....the show was entertainment. It was her job to portray southern cooking. Southern cooking is known to be high in fat and calories. It is up to the individual to know not to eat that way every day because it is not healthy. There are a lot of recipes on this forum that would be considered "unhealthy" as far as fat and calories are concerned. But we know not to eat like that at every meal, don't we?

That is just my opinion. I know there are many who disagree with me.

Hm. Well, the two textures don't seem all that similar to me - mornay sauce is looser than mayo - and the flavors are certainly different. I can see liking one but not the other.

Yes, and also the taste of cheese sauce and the taste of mayo are completely different.

Mac and Cheese is another food I grew up on. Once again, it was cheap to make and it fills you up. Back then it was the main course, in fact it was the only course! Now it is considered more of a side dish.

I don't consider it a problem unless someone is eating it all the time. All things in moderation.

My take on Paula Deen....the show was entertainment. It was her job to portray southern cooking. Southern cooking is known to be high in fat and calories. It is up to the individual to know not to eat that way every day because it is not healthy. There are a lot of recipes on this forum that would be considered "unhealthy" as far as fat and calories are concerned. But we know not to eat like that at every meal, don't we?

That is just my opinion. I know there are many who disagree with me.

In the beginning, Paula Deen's recipes were not so extremely loaded with sugar, fat and calories. After a while, she essentially "jumped the shark" and became a caricature of herself.

"Southern cooking is known to be high in fat and calories."

Compared to what? French mornay sauce? Alfredo sauce? An endless variety of German sausages? Potatoes fried in duck fat instead of pork fat? Poutine?

I think that's a cliché a lot of people have bought into, but when you really think about it, it's not all that different from other northern European cuisines.

And I was agreeing with you! Am I not allowed to repeat what you said, in agreement?

You are "allowed" to do whatever you want. But when you said "and also," that sounds to me like an addition, not agreement. Some people write +1 to indicate agreement. "I agree" would do it, too :)

CG, that's the ratio I use.

My base M&C recipe is something like this:

Cheese Sauce Ingredients:
  • 4 tbsp butter
  • 4 tbsp flour
  • 2 cups milk (for extra creaminess, I use 1 cup milk + 1 cup half and half)
  • 6-8 ounces of good melting cheese, any combination, shredded (sharp cheddar, parmigiano, gruyere, or fontina are all good choices)
  • 2 tsp kosher salt, or to taste
  • 1/2 tsp white pepper, or to taste
  • 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
  • pinch cayenne pepper
  • 8 ounces uncooked elbow macaroni
Topping Ingredients:
  • 1/3 cup panko breadcrumbs
  • 1 tbsp butter, melted
Preparation:
  1. Preheat oven to 325
  2. Cook pasta according to package instructions
  3. Melt 4 tbsp butter in a large saucepan. Whisk in the flour and cook over medium heat, stirring often, until roux is the color of coffee with cream.
  4. Add milk one cup at a time, and whisk until there are no lumps remaining.
  5. Add salt, white pepper, ground nutmeg, and cayenne. Mix well.
  6. Turn heat to low and add cheese. Stir until cheese is melted and sauce has a smooth, velvety texture.
  7. Toss sauce with cooked pasta and transfer to a 2.5 qt casserole dish that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
  8. To make the topping, mix panko with melted butter and spread evenly over the casserole.
  9. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until bubbly and the panko topping is nicely browned.
  10. Makes 8 servings.

Last edited:
One note on the recipe above. Although it says otherwise, I only add half the salt prior to adding the cheese. Some cheeses (parmigiano, for example) are noticeably saltier than others. After the cheese has been added, then I adjust the final seasoning.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom