"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 12-10-2013, 08:18 PM   #1
Proud American

Paula Deen Mac And Cheese

This is wonderful! We made this tonight.

Creamy Macaroni and Cheese Recipe : Paula Deen : Recipes : Food Network

It is cooked in the crockpot.

I'm still experimenting with southern foods.

With love,
~Cat

Old 12-10-2013, 10:33 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPat View Post
This is wonderful! We made this tonight.

Creamy Macaroni and Cheese Recipe : Paula Deen : Recipes : Food Network

It is cooked in the crockpot.

I'm still experimenting with southern foods.

With love,
~Cat
Cat, be careful. A lot of Paula Deen's recipes can pack on the pounds. They are vey high in calories.

Old 12-10-2013, 10:39 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post

Cat, be careful. A lot of Paula Deen's recipes can pack on the pounds. They are vey high in calories.
But they taste so good! They're a "sometimes" food. As much as Cat runs, bikes, and burns calories, I don't think she's going to gain any weight.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:43 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
But they taste so good! They're a "sometimes" food. As much as Cat runs, bikes, and burns calories, I don't think she's going to gain any weight.
Oh her recipes are delicious. But you do have to look at the nutritional values.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:44 PM   #5
Proud American

Both of you are right. Her dishes are very rich, and I do run and ride my bike with Azia.

We don't know anything of my medical background from my birth parents. Mamma has always been very careful of me, and I do love being outdoors and active. I'm 5'2 and I weigh 92.1 pounds. I just weighed myself after Addie said that, ha!

And for myself, not knowing if there is diabetes or arthritis or cancer or other things in my birth family, I'm careful to take the physical every year, to get my shots (in case I bite someone) and try to take good care of my body and my teeth and eyes.

This probably did have 500,000 calories in it but it was very good! I sent plenty home with my friends. Now they'll be fat, and not I. Ha!

With love,
~Cat
Old 12-11-2013, 05:38 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPat View Post
Both of you are right. Her dishes are very rich, and I do run and ride my bike with Azia.

We don't know anything of my medical background from my birth parents. Mamma has always been very careful of me, and I do love being outdoors and active. I'm 5'2 and I weigh 92.1 pounds. I just weighed myself after Addie said that, ha!

And for myself, not knowing if there is diabetes or arthritis or cancer or other things in my birth family, I'm careful to take the physical every year, to get my shots (in case I bite someone) and try to take good care of my body and my teeth and eyes.

This probably did have 500,000 calories in it but it was very good! I sent plenty home with my friends. Now they'll be fat, and not I. Ha!

With love,
~Cat
Cat, if you go to the Food Network site and look at her recipes, you will see that most of them are way above the recommended caloric intake for the average person. She caught a lot of flack after it was revealed that she had been diagnosed with Diabetes 2. She hid the fact for more than two years all the while making foods that no diabetic in their right mind would even look at, never mind eat.

Southern food can be very tasty, and good for you. Most of their dishes are healthy and rely on veggies a lot. Beans are also a major staple in Southern cooking.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:51 AM   #7
Master Chef

One mac and cheese tip I learned from Paula Dean was to slightly overcook the macaroni so that it does not soak up all of the sauce and become dry.

I figured out how to get fat on my own, long before Paula came along.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:26 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
One mac and cheese tip I learned from Paula Dean was to slightly overcook the macaroni so that it does not soak up all of the sauce and become dry.

I figured out how to get fat on my own, long before Paula came along.
I have never been a fan of al dente. So I have always overcooked all my pasta.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:09 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm not sure I would choose Paula Deen as a good source of southern foods. She really does add unnecessary ingredients and calories to her recipes. You can make perfectly delicious macaroni and cheese without eggs, sour cream and a can of cheese soup. And I don't get the purpose of cooking it in the slow cooker.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:16 AM   #10
Master Chef

Any6 mac & cheese, but it's very nature is loaded with fat and carbohydrates. I mean, the main ingredients are pasta and cheese. How could it be otherwise?

To reduce the fat and calories a bit, use very sharp, and strong cheeses. That way you don't need to use as much cheese to get the flavor you desire. 5 year aged cheddar is a good place to start, followed by something a little creamier, such as havarti or muenster. Use milk to add moisture, and a bit of prepared yellow mustard to compliment the cheese flavor, and reduce the need for more salt. Shred the cheese, and mix it into the hot pasta, off of the heat. Put in your casserole dish, sprinkle with bread crumbs if desired, and bake for 40 minutes or so at 350.

This will give the cheeses time to blend their flavors, and become an integral part of the casserole. It'll also toast the breadcrumbs.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheese