"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 10-11-2006, 03:27 AM   #1
Senior Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FraidKnot
Pearl Barley

Not only is barley a great addition to soup but it makes a great side dish rather than rice.

1/3 cup pearl barley
1 cup of water or broth or stock
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
1 Tbs. butter

Bring the water to a boil and add the barley, salt, pepper and butter. Cover and bake in a 325F oven for 30 minutes until the barley is tender. This is delicous as a side dish. Serves 2 and may be doubled.

Old 10-11-2006, 03:50 AM   #2
Senior Cook

cool, never thought of it as a side dish. Thanks.

Old 10-11-2006, 05:50 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Barley has always been a popular addition to Scottish stews, casseroles and soups - as well as used as a side dish. In the last couple of years, I've found that some of the upmarket restaurants are replacing the ubiquitious 'served on a bed of puy lentils' with 'served on a bed of barley'!
Old 10-11-2006, 07:04 AM   #4
Senior Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishbel
Barley has always been a popular addition to Scottish stews, casseroles and soups - as well as used as a side dish. In the last couple of years, I've found that some of the upmarket restaurants are replacing the ubiquitious 'served on a bed of puy lentils' with 'served on a bed of barley'!
My last name is McQuown... you can't get much more Scottish than that! Aye, we eat barley and we eat pinhead oats and if you ask me nicely I'll gee ya the recipe for lamb stew!

Fraidy
Old 10-11-2006, 09:37 AM   #5
Executive Chef

please for your receipt for lamb stew; I've a shoulder in the cooler right now awaiting the cooker.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:45 AM   #6
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
sounds tasty! There are lots of grains to use as an alternative to rice. One of my favorites is millet.

BUT, you all know the one about Pearl Barley, don't you? A woman of a certain age went into one of those multi-purpose stores where they sell a little bit of a lot of different items, and asked the clerk: "Do you have pearl barley?" The clerk paused, then asked a colleague who shook her head. Finally, the clerk entered "pearl barley" into the search box on her computer. When an answer popped up, she seemed very pleasedm and happily told the customer, "No, we've no Pearl Barley, but we do have some Ella Fitzgerald over in the Jazz section!"
Old 10-11-2006, 12:20 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by FraidKnot
My last name is McQuown... you can't get much more Scottish than that! Aye, we eat barley and we eat pinhead oats and if you ask me nicely I'll gee ya the recipe for lamb stew!

Fraidy
Is that a variation of MacEwan? It's not a spelling I've ever come across in Scotland. But that's a bit like Frazier.... no-one here spells Fraser with an 's' and 'I'

I'm sure everyone would enjoy any recipe you have for lamb - I've posted quite a few in the past.

I use a lot of steel cut oats, pin-head and other sizes, but that's cos I make a lot of home-made oatcakes, skirlie etc.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:43 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Love barley, too. I use it a lot, particularly in the colder months. And I also use it as a side dish.

One of the frustrations I have been having the last several years is that my area grocery stores carry only the "quick" barley and I prefer the old-fashioned type.

Also really, really like steel-cut oats and have discovered that a store near me carries McCann's, which we love. Had been getting it mail order before.
Old 10-11-2006, 01:36 PM   #9
Senior Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishbel
Is that a variation of MacEwan? It's not a spelling I've ever come across in Scotland. But that's a bit like Frazier.... no-one here spells Fraser with an 's' and 'I'

I'm sure everyone would enjoy any recipe you have for lamb - I've posted quite a few in the past.

I use a lot of steel cut oats, pin-head and other sizes, but that's cos I make a lot of home-made oatcakes, skirlie etc.
It's a variation of McEwan... I can trace my family back to 1679, the battle of Bothwell Bridge. We were captured :)

Lamb stew is just like beef stew. Just cut some lamb into chunks and add some barley. It's what you carry in your sprorran!

Jillian
Old 10-11-2006, 01:39 PM   #10
Head Chef

Funny that barley should come up as I made a huge pot of beef stew with lots of pearl barley in it yesterday!!!! :) Happy eating for me all week!!!!!!!

Tags
None