"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 01-31-2006, 04:59 PM   #11
Head Chef

". I would make the sauce like Allen suggested, by deglazing with maybe a cup of wine and maybe some clam juice or a bit of chicken stock. Then I'd reduce the sauce, add soem butter, and taste for seasoning. I'd add some minced shallots to the mushrooms or add minced chives at the end."

Wow this is the best idea ive ever heard... Jenny thank you so much im gonna add clam juice to it.... okay jenny at what point do i add the minced shallots? When i add the garlic? Dont you need to sautee shallots?

Also, im gonna use a cup of wine like you said. How much clam juice should i add?

Jenny, okay so i simmer the mushrooms in the sauce itsself?

Around how long should the mushrooms sautee?

I dont make the sauce's liquid components separate? Sorry for the questions if they seem redundant but i want this to be perfect.....

It's just say i add in the wine, and clam juice..that will be pretty heavy amount of liquid in the skillet, how can the shrimp grill in there with all of that liquid? Is it possible to stirfry the shrimp and shrooms together separately in a wok, then add them to the dish?

thanks in advance guys..and yes jenny the lobster mushrooms are fresh, and very expensive..but i do not cook meals like this all the time. I just want to try some because i've yet to taste them.

Old 01-31-2006, 05:43 PM   #12
Master Chef

Lets see ......

Off the top of my head, I would prepare the raw shrimp (clean and devein) and then start with some evoo in your sautee pan. I would add a minced shallot and the mushrooms and let that cook for about a minute or 2, then I would add the shrimp and garlic and a pinch of salt and a grind of pepper and let them cook all together for another minute. Then I would add the wine and deglaze the pan for about 15 seconds. When you have the fond scraped off, I would fish out the shrimp and set them aside on a plate (cover with foil), as you don't want to overcook them. Then I would add the clam juice -- maybe 1/2 cup -- to the sautee pan and let the liquid reduce by about half. When reduced, I would whisk in about 1T of butter and taste for seasoning (may need salt).

When the sauce is done, I would add the shrimp and the penne to the pan and stir to combine and heat everything up. I would probably add some chives or maybe a little flat leaf parsley to freshen things up.

But this is just me thinking off the top of my head ........ hopefully others will jump in here .....

Old 01-31-2006, 05:49 PM   #13
Head Chef

I'm not Jennyema, but here's my 2 pennies worth:

I'd do the shimp for the last few minutes along with the 'shrooms. Then remove the shrimp and carry on with your sauce reduction.

Mushrooms release moisture as they cook so I like to saute them until the majority of the liquid they release is reduced from the pan. (What's left in the pan will be a concentrated mushroom broth that is rich in flavor.) I'd most definitely leave the mushrooms in the sauce so they can absorb those flavors as well.

The shrimp release juices as they cook and will add lots of flavor, as will the mushrooms, so I'm not sure that you'll need clam juice along with the wine. I'd taste before adding any. =) But that's just me.

Z
Old 01-31-2006, 08:20 PM   #14
Head Chef

Thanks Jenny that is the process i'm going to use.

So i leave temperature on skillet consistent throughout? What temperature on the skillet? I will be using a very large 12" skillet. Mainly need to know what temp on skillet for cooking the shrimp, shrooms, shallots, etc etc.

Also Jenny, just for one last clarification, i leave the shrooms in the pan the whole process of the sauce, never taking them out correct?
Old 01-31-2006, 08:52 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Well, me being "in the biz", I tend to cook at two temps, barely simmering, and full-blast. I would go with the high heat setting, saute the goodies, remove the shrimp to a bowl (important), then start with the sauce reduction. Once you get the sauce where you want it, add the pasta, and dump the shrimp out of the bowl, along with any of the juices that exuded from the shrimp after they were removed from the pan.

If you are uncomfortable with the amount of heat and the concentration that requires, go with a med-high heat level.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:23 PM   #16
Head Chef

Allen, your replies are greatly appreciated brother, the only thing is, the hot to cold - high heat method you are describing sounds like advanced cooking... Surely i need to learn how to use these methods, But man, with the shrimp at 20 bucks a pound and the mushrooms at 30 bucks a pound, i will have to take an approach of an intermediate level chef...... I have had bad experiences with using HIGH Heat....even while just searing pieces of steak..let alone something as delicate as fresh shrimp and mushrooms...
Old 02-01-2006, 09:34 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylegsbig
But man, with the shrimp at 20 bucks a pound and the mushrooms at 30 bucks a pound,

Man, that's more than I could afford!

I would go with a lower heat setting then. Most of the time at work, when we do saute something, we get to get it cooked A.S.A.P., so we turn the burner up as far as it will go. Mostly, it's just necessity and experience with cooking at that high of a heat that allows cooks/chefs to do this. The only time I use a medium heat is when I'm cooking eggs, or, I'm sauteing something and can't give it my full attention.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:15 PM   #18
Head Chef

lol please man don't let this scare you off from my threads as a professional chef your input it is highly valued to me and i always enjoy your posts....
Old 02-01-2006, 12:44 PM   #19
Executive Chef

You live in Houston and fresh shrimp are $20/lb??? Where are you buying your shrimp? Even jumbos here in Charleston are going for $8-10/lb right now, fresh.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:43 PM   #20
Executive Chef

I get really sensitive about the cost of stuff, since we have 5 kids and three adults in this house, and I'm the only one working, opps, I'm not even working this month. So, I have to combine good cooking with cheap, cheap, cheap. I'm trying to teach PeppA and her mom about what and how to buy large quantities, cheap, and still be healthy. It's not really working, as they want what they want, and aren't satisfied with anything else.

Tags
None