"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 12-15-2011, 02:02 AM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by no mayonnaise View Post
In my opinion, those are way too small to cook pasta. Pasta needs lots of water so it doesn't end up a starchy, gummy mess.
i completely disagree. i used to think that about pasta, having to boil a pound in a giant pot of water, but dw proved me wrong. she often makes pasta in a tiny pot with just an extra inch or so of water over what you'd think it will swell to size.

so long as you buy good pasta, it only takes 5 to 7 minutes to cook, not enough time to become gummy.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 02:42 AM   #32
Executive Chef

OH pastagate, the quality of the pasta is paramount, you need more water for fresh h/m pasta.
I only make it for ravioli in my IMO its a waste of time for anything else

Old 12-15-2011, 10:42 AM   #33
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCan'tCook View Post
You were right!

This is EXACTLY what I had envisioned!

All-Clad Stainless Steel Multipot with Mesh Inserts, 12-Qt. | Williams-Sonoma

One minor issue, though ......

Hmmmm..... I might look over there today and get one of these ...
Old 12-15-2011, 11:08 AM   #34
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
I had a pot like that and it was hard to drain without the steam burning an arm. It also can't be used for anything that needs a tight lid because of all the holes.

I got rid of it and bought a colander.
Just turn your hands in toward you, squat down, grip the handles with your fingers on top and thumbs underneath, and dump it AWAY from you into the sink.

This is one of those dreaded "single-use tools" that Alton Brown is always complaining about; a pot used only for cooking and draining macaroni. If you need a pot with a tight lid, buy a pressure cooker!
Old 12-15-2011, 01:44 PM   #35
Chief Eating Officer

The benefit of boiling pasta in a ton of water is that you reduce the risk of boiling over. If you don't have that issue then you can be just as successful boiling pasta in a small amount of water as you can in a lot of water.

I like using a spider (wire strainer on a handle) when I am doing small amounts of small pasta like macaroni. For long strands like spahgetti I like using tongs. For larger amounts I use the pot with the strainer insert.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:12 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

a spider is a great idea, gb. we use a small, handheld strainer for smaller amounts of pasta, but there's always the risk of boiling water splashing or running up the handle. thanks.

Old 12-15-2011, 02:22 PM   #37
Certified Pretend Chef

I have a one handled strainer shaped like this and about 9" across that would also do the trick.
Attached Images

Old 12-15-2011, 02:53 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

exactly, andy. that's the idea for small amounts of pasta, and there's no problem with fine pastas.

Old 12-15-2011, 11:51 PM   #39
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
i completely disagree. i used to think that about pasta, having to boil a pound in a giant pot of water, but dw proved me wrong. she often makes pasta in a tiny pot with just an extra inch or so of water over what you'd think it will swell to size.

so long as you buy good pasta, it only takes 5 to 7 minutes to cook, not enough time to become gummy.

To me this depends on how much pasta you're boiling. For just my husband and me, I can (and often do) exactly this. You have to watch it more closely and stir more often and keep that high rolling boil going. And I agree, good brand. When my husband makes it from scratch (less and less often these days), I do not chance it and use the full amount of water to make sure it comes out perfectly.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:25 PM   #40
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post

I have not had a problem with spaghetti falling out of an insert like this.

I love these stainless steel pasta inserts. I even took a 20 qt stainless steel restaurant double boiler insert to a metal fabricator to put holes in it like the one in the photo.

I needed a really big one for the masses of garden vegetables I freeze.

I use all of my various sizes of pasta inserts with their respective pots to blanch loads of garden produce in the summer. When properly blanched I just put the pasta insert in a sink of ice water to stop the cooking process, then put the blancher on the sink drainboard before packing the veggies in freezer bags.

Pasta pots aren't single use items in MY household. They are multi-purpose and labor saving.

The luster of shiny new appliances can't compete with the virtues of Vintage: namely durability, simplicity, superior cooking and a cool retro look. http://leoladyshousecollectiblesandg....blogspot.com/
http://leoladysw.blogspot.com/
Leolady is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
spaghetti