"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 12-12-2011, 02:59 PM   #1
Cook

Perfect Pot For Spaghetti?

So, I cook for one.

I love spaghetti and angel hair pasta.

I currently have a large stock pot I cook it in. It has a locking lid with drain holes in it, but the holes are too large, and some of the pasta always falls out, or gets stuck in the holes.

The stock pot also has a non-stick coating that is coming off. It's a drag having to check my spaghetti every time for pieces of it, I miss them sometimes, and I worry about cooking in that pot, so I've decided to replace it.

I searched it, and saw you shouldn't use non-stick coating under high heat, so I think the first the first criteria for a replacement is that it be made of stainless steel.

I also really like the pasta pots with the colander inserts that you just lift out of the pot. Every one I've seen, though, has the large holes. Can anyone direct me to one with holes fine enough to prevent spaghetti from slipping out?

If not, is there a better way?

Old 12-12-2011, 03:06 PM   #2
Master Chef

I have not had a problem with spaghetti falling out of an insert like this.

Old 12-12-2011, 03:09 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

If you are cooking for one, all you need is a 3.5 to 4 quart sauce pan and a colander. I cook pasta for two that way and both items are multi-taskers.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:30 PM   #4
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
If you are cooking for one, all you need is a 3.5 to 4 quart sauce pan and a colander. I cook pasta for two that way and both items are multi-taskers.
In my opinion, those are way too small to cook pasta. Pasta needs lots of water so it doesn't end up a starchy, gummy mess.

OP, consider a regular colander. Way easier to clean IME, I've got two pasta pots with the insert and they're just more hassle. I always end up using my regular standard colander.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:50 PM   #5
Head Chef

Larger pot than you would think, so that the water stays at temperature when the pasta hits it. And consider a handled wire strainer. You'll be surprised how well it works and you drop the cooked pasta right on the plate or wherever.
Attached Images

Old 12-12-2011, 04:17 PM   #6
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
I love my Calphalon stainless 8-quart stock pot with pasta insert. It also comes with a large steamer insert. This pot gets tons of use as a soup pot, as well as for pasta and for steaming clams and mussels, etc. (I got the pot a couple of years ago on line on sale for $75. I have more than gotten my moneys worth out of it, and it's still going strong.)

I like LOTS of water when I cook pasta, so a big pot is what I like even when I'm just cooking pasta for 2.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:19 PM   #7
Executive Chef

A 4 or 5 quart anodized aluminium or stainless steel pot and a small collander or large screen strainer will do you just fine for cooking macaroni for one. If you want to get fancy schmancy, Target has an 6 quart Giada DeLuarentis stock pot for $41.99 and a 3 quart stainless steel colander for $24.19. Of course, the macaroni isn't going to taste any different, but the name brand will impress your guests.

If you still have trouble with spaghetti going through the holes, change to macaroni. You can get fusilli, farfalle, penne, rigatoni or ziti and I can guarantee they won't sneak through the holes in the collander.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:31 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by no mayonnaise View Post
In my opinion, those are way too small to cook pasta. Pasta needs lots of water so it doesn't end up a starchy, gummy mess...

My pasta is never "a starchy, gummy mess".

I have a box of spaghetti in front of me and it calls for 5 quarts of water to cook a full box (16 Oz. of pasta). So cooking less than 7 ounces of pasta properly in 3-3.5 quarts of water clearly should not be an issue. At least it isn't for me.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:42 PM   #9
Sous Chef

I have that kind of pasta pot. It's great but it takes up a lot of room in the dishwasher. And it's always in there !!!
Old 12-12-2011, 04:45 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Send a message via Skype™ to zfranca
Yes, there are metal mesh baskets available. I used them all the time but I do not remember where I got them from. Possibly William Sonoma?

Tags
spaghetti