Pesto Additions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crankin

Senior Cook
I am making a simple pesto sauce with linguine noodles and am trying to think of what sorts of little additions would be good. Only thing I do not want is chicken. Any ideas? Thanks!

Your question is confusing. Are you talking about adding ingredients to your Pesto? Or adding things to your pasta?

Most people in US think all Pesto is made with Basil, but that's not the case. Pesto Genovese is made with Basil, Pecorino Cheese, Pine nuts and Olive oil. However, the word Pesto means pounded in English, and the Italians (and the French, too) make Pesto of any number of herbs, and also other nuts besides pine nuts.

DH's favorite meal is pasta, calamata olives (seeded), asparagus or broccoli (blanched), shrimp or scallops and sauteed onions all tossed together with pesto.
C

DH's favorite meal is pasta, calamata olives (seeded), asparagus or broccoli (blanched), shrimp or scallops and sauteed onions all tossed together with pesto.
C

sauteed onions are splendid. agreed here too.

I'm also a fan of fresh tomatoes (just the outside, not the runny/seedy inside). Shrimp is good instead of chicken.

I also like to make a little appy with it - take a toasted baguette, spread with a bit of goat cheese, a dollop of pesto, and a piece of freshly roasted red pepper! OK - this has actually been dinner several times!

Saw this on Giada at home today and it looked pretty good

Fusilli with Spicy Pesto

Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis
Show: Giada at HomeEpisode: Lazy Day Lunch

Ingredients

Pesto:

• 1 cup chopped walnuts
  • 2 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
  • 1 (2-inch long) red or green jalapeno pepper, stemmed and coarsely chopped
  • 2 cups grated (4 ounces) Asiago cheese
  • 2 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper