"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2018, 08:57 AM   #11
Head Chef

How big pizza does this make? I have to scale it up to three

Old 10-08-2018, 09:06 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Like Mad Cook, I use a little bit of sugar with my yeast and always use some olive oil in the dough.

We've frozen pizza dough that we've bought from Publix. They sell it in plastic bags. It doesn't rise quite as good as fresh, but works just fine, especially for thin crust pizza after freezing.

Just a tip, you can use pizza dough with oil in it to make great garlic rolls. Just shape, place in a pan touching, let overise until they are really puffy but not to point of collapsing then cook in a hot oven, 425, and let bake until done, time depends on size and number of rolls. I've found that a mix of of EVOO and veg oil in about a 2:1 ratio, with a bunch of finely chopped garlic makes a good oil to douse the rolls in. I generally cook the oil with the garlic in it for a minute or so in the microwave to get that raw harsh garlic taste out, then let it cool while rolls are rising and baking.

I stripped the "fail safe" gear in our KA mixer while making a batch of dough for eight 12-inch pizzas. Craig just LOVED fixing that.

medtran49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 05:34 PM   #13
Senior Cook

I often find I cheat and do this Jamie Oliver simple quick easy crust ready in 2 minutes or less but I bake mine as he shows a stove top method as well
Old 10-08-2018, 05:36 PM   #14
Senior Cook

PS I also add oregano, basil, etc to the dough and it’s great
Old 10-08-2018, 07:18 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
I stripped the "fail safe" gear in our KA mixer while making a batch of dough for eight 12-inch pizzas. Craig just LOVED fixing that.
Hmm, wete they metal gears?
A well engineered machine with metal gears should never strip, or slip. Or at least not for a long time. Nylon or other plastic gears suck, even if angled on a bias properly. And even then they still slip.

Did Craigsy invent any new swear words fixing it? That's always fun.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:29 PM   #16
Executive Chef

They were all metal except the one. Craig felt it was a fail safe to prevent the motor from burning out.

No new swear words. There were some TNT ones though. He's actually really good with stuff like that, just annoyed that I overloaded it so.
medtran49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:15 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Interesting. the non-metal gear was the sacrificial one.

for next time:

buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:23 PM   #18
Certified Pretend Chef

I stripped the same gear making too much bagel dough at once. Paid to get it fixed. Works great now that I reduced the recipe.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:43 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I stripped the same gear making too much bagel dough at once. Paid to get it fixed. Works great now that I reduced the recipe.
My KA had specific instructions on how much dough it was designed to mix (rated for 14 cups, but the biggest batch I ever make is 35 ounces (~7 cups) of flour).

It also has a very pointed warning to only knead dough with the spiral dough hook on the #2 speed setting, not faster or slower.

Quote:
NOTE: Use Speed 2 to mix or knead
yeast doughs. Use of any other speed
creates high potential for Stand Mixer
failure. The PowerKnead™ spiral dough
hook efficiently kneads most yeast dough
within 4 minutes.
Old 10-09-2018, 11:04 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
Interesting. the non-metal gear was the sacrificial one.

for next time:

Is that you Johnny?

msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dough, flour, pizza, recipe

Pizza Dough [IMG]http://jamesstrange.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Pizza-For-Blog-1024x683.jpg[/IMG] This pizza dough is really good. The only problem is it takes 4 days to make. 212 grams Bread Flour King Arthur in the blue bag 128 grams Water 3.5 grams Yeast 6.5 grams salt Kosher or sea salt Weigh out all of your Ingredients. To a stand mixer add all of your water and yeast. Add roughly half of your bread flour to the bowl. Using the dough hook mix on low for 5 minutes. Stop occasionally to scrape the bowl. Let the dough rest for 20 minutes. Mix the remaining flour with the salt. Add the remaining flour and salt to the stand mixer and mix for 15 minutes. Stop occasionally to scrape the bowl. You might even have to knead in a bit of the flour. Take a round plastic container and poke a hole in the lid (for gas to escape). Lightly oil the bowl. When the dough has finished mixing tuck it into a ball and add it to the plastic container. Place the dough in the refrigerator. Minimum one day but four or five days makes amazing crust. One hour before using the dough take it out of the fridge and let it come to room tempature. Place the pizza stone in the oven and preheat to 500F. Let it sit at 500F for at least 30 Minutes before cooking your pizza. Layout a sheet of parchment paper that is close to the size of your stone. Place the dough ball on the parchment paper and using your fingertips shape your pizza. Add your toppings and let rest for 10 minutes. Transfer your pizza to the stone, I leave mine on the parchment paper. Cook for eight to ten minutes. [url=http://jamesstrange.com/recipe/easy-vegan-pizza-dough-recipe/]Easy Vegan Pizza Dough Recipe.[/url] 3 stars 1 reviews