Pizza Dough

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Swedish is is more potent , this dough lives in large container and every morning it comes out to say hello... So I knock some air out of it.

This dough is a nope, it doesnt work with what I have in this country, it took over the fridge , rose over the edge, lifted the lid every morning and I am tired of having large box the size of the whole bottom of my fridge, so no, do not like. Also very salty. If I try it again, I will use less salt and way less yeast.

Just as a post script:-

A (British) chef on TV this AM was demo'ing pizza dough using 00 flour. It wasn't made clear what the advantage was over English strong bread flour but I have some 00 in my flour crock so I might have a go. I've used 00 when making pasta but not with yeast cookery. It's supposed to give a crisper crust.

Just as a post script:-

A (British) chef on TV this AM was demo'ing pizza dough using 00 flour. It wasn't made clear what the advantage was over English strong bread flour but I have some 00 in my flour crock so I might have a go. I've used 00 when making pasta but not with yeast cookery. It's supposed to give a crisper crust.

I have to ask.... what is 00 flour? That's not a variety that I've ever heard of... more that common language which separates us. Is that like Semolina, which is what I've always seen recommended for pasta?

With apologies to James, I don't see myself planning 4 days ahead to make pizza dough. It was a big step for me to make a batch of dough the day before.

I have had no issues with freezing homemade dough. I have a recipe that makes enough for three 16" pizzas and I freeze two of them routinely.

My KA mixer is not the big guy with all metal gears. Mine has the sacrificial plastic/nylon gear that I've replaced once. KA makes mixers with both setups.

I have to ask.... what is 00 flour? That's not a variety that I've ever heard of... more that common language which separates us. Is that like Semolina, which is what I've always seen recommended for pasta?

Yes, finely ground durum wheat/semolina. It also adds a slightly I would say nutty taste.

My main go to pizza dough has a bit of finely ground cornmeal and whole wheat flour in the dough. Sometimes, if I don't feel like digging through the freezer (I keep flours other than unbleached AP in the freezer so they don't go stale) for the "specialty" flours, I'll just use all AP. However, we do seem to like the crust better when the other flours are added.

It's an Italian flour. Here's an article that describes it and a quick explanation of the Italian flour grading system.

What is Italian 00 flour?

Back
Top Bottom