"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 08-06-2006, 06:59 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by licia
I suppose I'm just going to have to try polenta. How much different can it be from grits????????????
licia,
it's a little different in how it tastes. I think you'd love polenta I know I do. The brand I buy and yes I know corn meal can be used, I just like a certain brand. The reason being, there are times when every one is here all burners are being used so I do my polenta in the oven. The brand I use tells you how and it's a snap and leaves you free to get other things ready and besides I'm lazy..It will taste just the same as someones who has had to stand at the stove and stir...So give it a try licia, I think you'll be surprised at how good it is and all the fun things you can do with it.

kadesma

Old 08-06-2006, 07:05 PM   #22
Sous Chef

"Pumpkin Polenta with Chorizo and Black Beans" - now doesn't that sound interesting.....

Old 08-06-2006, 07:07 PM   #23
Chief Eating Officer

It is a favorite around her cjs. Every time I make it I instantly get forgiven for anything bad I have done the past week
Old 08-06-2006, 08:46 PM   #24
Executive Chef

I use a combination of chicken stock and milk as the liquid, and then cracked black pepper and lots of grated locatelli cheese.

After you plate what you are going to use for dinner, quickly pour the rest into a smallish, square pan. Toss that into the refrigerator and let it set. The next morning, you can remove the firm polenta from the pan, slice it, about half an inch thick, and then grill it in butter in a heavy skillet. Serve it as a base for poached eggs with a tomato slice for a delicious breakfast.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:42 PM   #25
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Lynan
I have enjoyed polenta many ways but my favourites are:

1/ With a stew of baccala and tomatos
2/ Mixed with Asiago, Fontina and Gruyere
3/With Porcini and Gorgonzola stirred thru' ( Porcini cooked off in a little butter and garlic)
4/ Polenta Taragna, a speciality from Valtellina Italy. Maize kernels are left entire before grinding.
5/ Polenta made with the addition of chesnut flour and Fontina, from Valdostana.
6/ Wedges of polenta grilled and topped with a bolognese type sauce or one with only chicken livers
7/ Best of all, plain with a tasty goat/rabbit casserole/stew.

My MIL used to eat polenta with sugar and milk for breakfast.
Personally, I would not go that far!!
Old 08-07-2006, 09:02 AM   #26
Sous Chef

"1/ With a stew of baccala and tomatos" - Lyn, you sent my searching and all I could find was "bacalao" - a Spanish term for dried salt cod. ?

What is baccala?

I had an appetizer a few years ago using polenta that I've been making ever since - it's so good!

POLENTA WITH ASPARAGUS & TALEGGIO
Recipe By :a Chef's Journey via Zinfandel Grill, Roseville, 7/03

On a plate - sprinkle Balsamic Vinegar.
Top w/a rectangle of Polenta, ~1/2" thick. (the polenta pieces can be seared a little)
Smear a little EVO over the polenta.
Top w/roasted or steamed asparagus spears cut to fit - maybe at an angle to the polenta.
Top this w/carmelized onions and shredded taleggio.
Melt the cheese and serve.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:54 AM   #27
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to RDG
Baccalà and baccalao are the same thing: baccalà in italian, baccalao in portuguese
You wash baccalà in some milk, to leave off the most of salty taste, passi in egg and flour, and fry it.
But there is another thing I don't understand: you all are speaking about "corn" flour. Corn and mais are the same thing? I've halways used a "mais" flour for polenta, the yellow flour. And it has never been a matter of five minutes, but more often of a couple of hours.
Efffectively, you have to clkear if you are speaking of polenta as it's made in North Italy (where is originally coming from), yellow, hard, nearly solid, and in South Italy, made with white flour, nearly liquid. For us, this is not polenta, it's sometithing strange .
The yellow one is made in a huge pan, very big, ten or more liters, adding to a lot of water the flour very very slowly, mixing conitinuosly. And going on to mix all tthe time, till polenta is really hard. At the end, you pour the entire pan on a white cotton sheet, adjust up the angles till the shape is perfectly round, and polenta is ready: it stays up by itself, a little circular hill 10-12 cm high, 30-35 large.
The Valtellina type is made with an integral corn flour, like pizzoccheri
To eat with everything has sauces, with gorgonzola (fantastic) with wild games, with cheeses mixed inside.....
Old 08-07-2006, 04:21 PM   #28
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Lynan
We used to cook our polenta over a wood fire. The pot would sit in the hole on top and we would all take turns stirring. And it was ALWAYS a long slow process! I loved the crosta ( crust) left in the pot after we had turned the polenta, bursting with chunks of just melting cheese, onto our special wooden polenta plate. As RDG says, it is like a little mountain although Taragna was softer.
I think most people use the more ' instant' type cornmeal out of Italy. I know that here in NZ the instant is what is always used. And I have NO idea what is done to make it that way. Sigh...there is something to be said for Slow Food.
Old 08-07-2006, 04:54 PM   #29
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
I just use the stone ground cornmeal I get from "my" farmer is South Jersey. It works very well. Sometimes I serve it soft, just as it comes from the pot (and yes, RG, it takes a lot longer than 5 minutes! and other times I pour it into a pan a let it set up and then either grill or fry it off before serving with a sauce or underneath a stew.

Lyn, I'm copying ALL your suggestions down to re-create this winter! They all sound so delicious!
Old 08-07-2006, 05:02 PM   #30
Sous Chef

they sure do! this is a wonderful thread-everyone has such great ideas.

Tags
None