"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...
Old 08-07-2006, 04:15 PM   #31
Sous Chef
Polenta is one of our favorite things to eat. It does take a long time to cook, but I cheat - got a "stir-chef" that stirs the pot while I work on other things.

GB the pumpkin polenta sounds to die for! I have everything but the black beans and pumpkin . . . um, Bob, will you stop at Safeway?? CJS your butternut polenta sounds divine.

Our favorite way is to stir in cream and gorgonzola at the end - heaven in a bowl. We had truffled polenta a couple weeks ago - truly the most wonderful thing I've ever eaten. I found white polenta in Dean & Delucca, I had a recipe for a sauce that was nothing but cream (lots of cream) and diced soprasetta with some freshly grated parm on top - yum! We also love it with braised short ribs with mushrooms and tomatoes.

Harborwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 12:44 AM   #32
Head Chef
I also use broth (chicken) instead of water; add grated Parmesan at the end then chill on a jelly roll sheet (about 1" thick) cut it into squares about the size of a playing card and grill... YUMMMMMMMY!

Cooking is like love, it should be entered into with abandon or not at all. Oregon native transplanted to Chicago....
lindatooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 05:32 AM   #33
Senior Cook
Send a message via MSN to RDG
The pot Harborwitch is speaking of is probably this.
In every way, also here in Italy there is "instant Polenta". Not so bad, but nothing do spare with the hadmade one. As alternative, you can do polenta also in pressure pot. It works.
Attached Images
RDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 02:32 PM   #34
Sous Chef
Similar. I have a very heavy copper saucepan that I make polenta in, the StirChef sits on top, is battery powered, and has a metal rod that has the plastic "blades" whic do the stirring on the bottom. The arms that support it over the pot are adjustable.

I have found that it's best to get the polenta going first, just to where it's starting to thicken and then use the stir chef. With the very heavy pot and a slow fire it takes a while - but worth the time. We're having GB's polenta tonight!
Old 08-08-2006, 03:32 PM   #35
Executive Chef
Mr HB loves scrapple but I can't even bear the smell of it in the house so I came up with this:

City Scrapple

I fry sausage (from sage to HOT, whatever mood I'm in), drain the fat off, add some herbs and begin my polenta, made with chicken broth or mixed partly with water.

When the polenta is very thick, I add the sausage and pour it into greased bread pans. I let it harden in the fridge. In the morning, I slice the 'scrapple', fry it up and serve it with maple syrup or applesauce.

I even love this.
Please spay and neuter your pets. The Animal Rescue Site
Half Baked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 11:50 PM   #36
Sous Chef
GB, OMG!!!!! We had this for dinner tonight, it was absolutely to die for. We had Portugese smoked chorizo so after we grilled the peppers to roast them we grilled the chorizo diced it and added it to the onions and beans.

Just the pumpkin polenta was amazing. I could see that as dessert with spiced apples and walnuts and some gorgonzola with real maple syrup drizzled over. This, my dear, is a fantasitic keeper!!!
Old 08-09-2006, 07:12 AM   #37
Executive Chef
To Die For

GB you must be the winner here! Your recipe has already been tried and test ed. Better stick around we need you.

Scrapple, I didn't know anyone knew how to make it anymore. Have heard my mother once talk about it but that is far as it went. Thanks for sharing your method of fixing.

The numerous ways that everyone fixes something so common. I was reluc tant to ask about polenta as I felt I would seem really ignorant. So thankful I did anyway. Many times this happens where I find out about all different ways to fix. Everyone has their favorite. I am keeping all these comments. I sure hope to use many of them.
In the Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 07:56 AM   #38
Chief Eating Officer
I am so glad it was a success Sharon!

Your take with the spiced apples, walnuts, gorgonzola and syrup sounds fantastic too. I will be trying that soon!
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 08:49 AM   #39
Master Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
The Colonials made Indian PUdding with cornmeal, maple syrup, and whatever else they had around... Being a transplanted New Englander at heart, and a history nut, to boot, I have several delicious recipes which I shall hunt up and post.... Makes a great "January dessert" with heavy cream, or homemade ice cream... Durgin Park, a really touristy restaurant in Quincy Market in Boston, makes the definitive one... I try to get up there in the winter for a lunch of Fish chowder (no, not clam) and Indian Pudding... two of my faves!
Wine is the food that completes the meal.
ChefJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 09:01 AM   #40
Sous Chef
Oh Sharon and GB - now I have to look if I brot some cornmeal with me in the trailer - I've got to try this!!! I'm drooling. Recipe is printed and I'll have to go explore Salt Lake City for a store!!

cjs is offline   Reply With Quote